“Short but Sweet” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casapapaya B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Miguel de Allende
Casapapaya B&B
Bruce Peninsula, Canada
“Short but Sweet”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2012

We had only one night in San Miguel de Allende, and are glad we stayed at Casa Papaya. Of the many B & B's we stayed at during our 10,000 mile 2 month odyssey Stan & Julie were two of the most engaging, knowledgeable, and helpful hosts we had. Their house was delightful with lots of outdoor spaces in which to enjoy the beautiful Mexican weather, and our room, bed, bath etc. were all very comfortable. Breakfast was 'made to order' and more than we could eat. Early morning coffee was provided for us 'dawn risers'.
Everything was as it should be, and when we return to San Miguel de Allende someday for a longer stay, we will return to Casa Papaya.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2012 via mobile

We highly recommend this wonderful b & b.

We stayed for 4 nights in April. Julie And Stan are fantastic hosts, extremely helpful and hospitable, also assisting in our selection of activities and restaurants.

The rooms are large, and extremely comfortable and clean. Breakfast - made by Stan - was perfect.

Thanks Julie and Stan for a great stay!

• Stayed April 2012
Vancouver BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2012

This was my first visit to San Miguel, was travelling alone and was on a photography adventure. From my first contact via email, I was made to feel welcome and cared for. During my six days there, Stan went out of his way to ensure all my needs were met (Julie was out of the country, visiting family). The room was spacious and exceptionally comfortable. Every convenience I could think of was provided. Breakfasts, which had a balance of cereals, lots of fruit and eggs, etc. were far more than I needed and I was always asked for my preferences.

Stan was also very helpful and even protective in helping me get around San Miguel. A detailed map was provided with individualized suggestions. Stan spent most of one day driving me to an abandoned silver mine that was a superb site for photography and waited patiently while I explored. He also recommended and drove me to a botanical garden. Both of these locations are a must see for other visitors.

I travel with a fair bit of photo gear and I never once worried that it would be unsafe in their b&b.

The location of the b&b is on the edge of the city and up a fairly steep hill. At first, this seemed not so great but I soon realized the benefit of this. It's in a quite location without all the activity of the city centre and, being up hill from the town, enjoyed pleasant breezes to keep you cool and comfortable. Also, there is a bus route very close that for a mere 5 pesos (about 50 cents) would take you in and out of town. The buses run frequently. I never waited more than 3 minutes for a bus.

Thanks to Stan and Julie for making my first visit to San Miguel such a positive one.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

From my first contact with the owners prior to my visit to an early morning (5am) departure after my ten day visit, I felt like I had a top notch and caring travel experience at a fantastic price. Right away, I felt completely at home and safe and comfortable in their home which is so important when you’re a woman traveling solo. On my first morning they provided a great orientation to the city and its sights, restaurants, tours and events so I was comfortable wandering around the town on my own right away. Throughout my visit they made suggestions and helped me out by assisting with arrangements. And their recommendations for restaurants, services and events all turned out to be perfect. They really know their city well and go out of their way to make sure you have a wonderful and memorable visit.

My room was spacious, clean and very comfortable and the breakfasts were fantastic - delicious and abundant. I stayed in the king room and there is a lovely sitting area outside the room which was great for reading or relaxing too. In addition there is a beautiful flower filled patio area just outside the rooms where you can relax or even have your breakfast or a drink later in the day. They are located in a very safe neighborhood and I felt comfortable day and night coming and going there. I was also able to do some laundry there which meant I didn’t have to bring a larger suitcase. You’ll love the dogs – Butch and Boo – they’re always happy to see you.

Stan and Julie create such a fun, relaxed, laid back atmosphere that you’ll want to stay even longer. I can’t recommend them highly enough. Trip Advisor needs to create a higher category than excellent just for them.

Room Tip: The rooms all looked lovely and spacious to me.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2012

This is the 4th time qwe stay with Stan and Julie. This time we brought our two grown kids and girl friends for a week.
It was like staying in our own home except better.
The morning walks with the dogs, excursions to the hot springs, drinks on the roof watching the sunsets and dinners with our hosts. It was perfect.
We even did our wash before moving to our next destination

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

Casapapaya was our last stop on our 2 week tour thru Mexico's western highlands/Colonial Towns. I had reserved in advance with Julia after research on trip advisor. Before even leaving Canada Julia provided a bunch of really helpful info. in order to assist us to navigate our way from Mexico City by bus to the bus station in San Miguel De Allende and then by taxi to Casapapaya (taxi directions in Spanish). On arrival we were warmly greeted by Julia who welcomed us into her beautiful oasis and from the get-go we were treated like family! We were served a cool drink, met her 2 lovely dogs (Butch and Boo, the latter still a pup) and once settled into our comfy room were provided with orientation info., like local bus transportation, places to eat, sites to see, etc. During all of this Julia's partner, Stan (an expat Brit from London), arrived and what a gregarious, warm and helpful guy he turned out to be! With both Julia and Stan we enjoyed many a lively discussion over the 5 days we were in their home . . . it really was as if we had always known them.
We were served wonderful breakfasts in the beautiful courtyard (or in the kitchen if the weather was too cool for outside) of just about anything we wanted with Stan doing most of the cooking while Julia made sure all the bits went properly together. Loads of fresh fruit, breads, cereal, coffee/tea, juice and anything hot requested!! The walk to and from downtown, which we did most of the time, was essential to burn off the great food.
Stan and Julia gave us tons of advice on what to do and see and even drove us or walked with us to some of the places suggested, like the Tuesday Market or the Botanical Garden (what a gem this is!) . . . we would have not seen these if not for Stan/Julia. Stan even took us shopping one day and to the bus when we left...what a guy!
When our stay came to an end it was soooo difficult to say goodbye to our SMA "family"! We would return to Casapapaya in a heartbeat and would HIGHLY recommend a stay here for anyone who enjoys a casual, caring, family atmosphere...Unbeatable!!
THANKS Julia and Stan. We will stay in touch.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jbw2011_11
New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2012

If you are looking for a welcoming, laid back atmosphere with clean, comfortable rooms and a fantastic breakfast look no further! Stan and Julie (and Butch) welcomed us with warmth and even hugs. Although they never planned on opening a B&B, they are the perfect couple to own such a place. We only stayed 2 night but left feeling as if we had made new friends. We all went for a walk towards the botanical gardens one morning and later Stan cheerfully dropped us off at the bus station. Certainly this is going above and beyond what was expected. That is what makes them such great hosts!

PS....Butch (the dog) is not allowed into the area of the house where guests stay so do not worry about allergies. My husband is allergic and he had no problems.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple