“Wow”

Tio Lucas
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Great atmosphere. Good local and American food. The Chateaubriand is a must.
The jazz is an excellent bonus

Reviewed March 18, 2014

I guess there is a little chancy to try to eat out in a small town as San Miguel during a long weekend and not lose your bearings, but my friends and I did push our luck and went to Tío Lucas for lunch.

It became dinner: we waited for 1.5 hrs in the crowded vestibule before being assigned a table. We were a party of eight, so I'll not blame the restaurant for its high demand during a strong vacational season. Maybe additional seating for waiting hours or complimentary coffee and crackers wouldn't hurt anyone.

What I will gently criticize is how that fame balances out with what you'll spend (roughly US $50 with drinks). The ambiance of the restaurant is lovely, and I'm saying that just for the central patio, which has a tree adorned with tin and glass spheres. You'll just want to get your special one and dance in the middle as if no one was watching.

The rest is... well. Service was amiable, but slow. Minus point. I ordered a pepper sauce steak. It was good, but chewy. Minus point. Two of my friends ordered tartar sauce salmon. They didn't finish them. Minus point. These small things clearly bet the fame and the lovely decoration.

'With a great hype comes a great responsibility to your patrons'. A mantra not followed at Tío Lucas.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

During a brief visit, my husband were invited to dine at “our uncle’s” place for a pre-wedding celebration and a party of 12 including family and friends. We arrived late and Max, the owner greeted us at the door as if he had been waiting for us for a long time. We immediately noticed our party in the middle of the crowded restaurant on a Friday night around 7:30PM. Everyone was hungry so we decided to order our meal based on the recommendations of the hosts who had eaten there several times. Both my husband and I selected the “Arrachera” skirt steak prepared rare to medium rare along with other accompaniments. We also ordered the Caesar salad and several margaritas, which is why I cannot tell you about the accompaniments. The salad was huge and well prepared with a delicious dressing along the 2 heads of romaine lettuce. Our steaks were the right thickness, tender and tasty. The margaritas went down quickly and had a generous amount of tequila. Thankfully, there was fresh baked break and sauces to lather them that allowed for some clarity during our dinner conversation.

The service was excellent, even though the restaurant was bustling with happy customers conversing while listening to a live jazz performance. There was a small bar area in the entrance and the lighting was perfect for romance or for those who want to appear youthful. The women’s restroom offered 2 clean stalls and a small area to freshen up hair and makeup. The location at the end of Mesones was fairly central to the main plaza and other touristic sites and bars. Since we had a short visit and attended a wedding the 2nd evening, we have no comparisons but were highly satisfied with the experience at Tio Lucas. Thank you uncle Max.

1  Thank sherrieseg
Reviewed March 10, 2014

We have been to this restaurant many times and it is always good. Margaritas are great as is the food. Portions are enormous so you might want to share. Wait staff is friendly and accommodating.

Reviewed March 2, 2014

We ate here twice and celebrated my daughters 12th birthday. It's beautifully decorated, they have live music and prepare some foods at table. The caesar salad is fantastic and the steaks are good. I like this place more for the family experience rather than outstanding food.