“Luxury Boutique Hotel Indeed !!!!!”
Review of Casa Misha

Casa Misha
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Let me emphasize, nothing on their web site is not accurate or exaggerated.

My family and I were celebrating a birthday and Mexico's Bicentennial and were the lucky recipients of the Terraza and Parroquia rooms. The rooms are even more wonderful than their pictures indicate. From one of the hotel's terraces we dined alfresco and were treated to San Miguel's beautiful fireworks over the Parroquia, the view of which can not be outdone.

Casa Misha gives a whole new meaning to "location, location, location". The Jardin and the Parroquia are an easy walk as is just about everything. Yet, the hotel is located on one of the quieter streets. When you do finally call it a night you don't have any night noises to disturb your rest.

The owners, Ed (responsible for the excellent food) and Richard, are on-site and are charming and accommodating. As well as the staff. All embrace you and welcome you into "their family".

Pure Luxury. Pure Nirvana. We hope to return in December and I can not wait!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Sandi12365

Reviewed July 15, 2010

Stayed for five nights. Beautiful remodeled house, beautiful rooms. Owners and staff were excellent.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ricalb
Reviewed May 18, 2010

My mom, sister, and I celebrated Mom's 81st birthday at Casa Misha. What a WONDERFUL experience!!!!!! Everything was perfect. From Richard and Ed, to all of their staff, we couldn't have asked for more. If I hadn't known better, I would have thought that we were their only guests.

Our room was beautiful and the food was great. Everything we wanted was at our fingertips. I can honestly say that I have NEVER stayed anywhere that even comes close to our experience at Casa Misha.

• Stayed: April 2010
1  Thank 1brenda
Reviewed April 28, 2010

We've just returned from a glorious 7 days at Casa Misha. Located down a quiet street, close to the center of town, this stunningly renovated and appointed mansion offers both incredible service in a luxurious but very relaxed setting. Richard and Edward, the owners, and their great staff run a wonderful hotel. All the rooms are lovely. We stayed in the Terrace room which had a huge private deck. There are several outside spaces where one can have their breakfast served to them. All meals were excellent. The hotel has incredible views of the town and surrounding countryside. We appreciated the free wireless internet and the free calls to the US. We felt as if Richard and Edward had welcomed us to their home. Magda, Giselle, Juan, Romino and Darwin catered to our every need. All their recommendations for tours and restaurants were on point. The hotel arranged tours of San Miguel de Allende as well as neighboring towns including Guanajuato which were conducted by Leandro. Both were well worth it. Casa Misha offers lunch and dinner dining. Edward is a gifted chef. It is rare that owners and staff of a hotel greet you when you arrive and walk you to your car when you depart. They seemed genuinely happy to have us as guests. That is the kind of unique place that Casa Misha is.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shoshie
Reviewed April 21, 2010

Before March 19 my favorite hotel experience had been in a Marrakesh Riad. Casa Misha usurped that position within minutes of our arrival.
I tend to be verbose, so I will categorize its areas of excellence. (There were no areas that were NOT excellent.)
The Casa:
Entering the foyer I felt as if I had been invited into the home of a local aristocrat. An antique love seat, plush chairs, amazing art work and Oriental rugs could have been a bit off-putting. But with the owners waiting for our arrival--and their canine puffball assuming we wanted her attention--nothing could have been further from the truth. That was just the beginning. Walking through ornate glass doors we found a lavishly planted courtyard. We spent several evenings at its trendy bar--twinkle lights in the trees and upbeat music floating from the sound system. There are many spots to have breakfast, dinner, or "chill time". A comfortably small--and very elegant--dining room, an antique filled living room and airy sun room are all a decorator's dream. The portrait above that sun room's fireplace is that of the owners' late dog--Misha. Wonder where the name for the Casa came from?
I am guessing that quite a few guests spend considerable time in the library. Yes, it had books to share, but its focal point is a huge, comfy sofa positioned in front of a 62 inch TV. The perfect place to watch the Dancing With the Stars Season Premier!
There are terraces everywhere. Read, eat, drink margaritas. Gorgeous foliage, comfortable furnishings, and (if needed) heaters, turned these plateaus into ideal areas to do absolutely nothing, have a special dinner, or be amazed with the views of San Miguel.
Then, OUR room! The room I had chosen off the website--conversed with the owners about--and brought enough luggage to fill. There was nothing that wasn't perfect about it--the antique iron four-poster (very comfortable) bed, overstuffed armchairs, armoire that easily held every bit of the too much clothing I had brought. And the walls--an armchair museum. 18th Century English prints, French watercolors from the 19th Century--and much more. I decided that all of the Limoges boxes should be used--a perfect place for my jewelry. The bathroom HAD to have been designed by a woman. Big, light, space for everything, a huge tub to soak in. Not the least of the room's attractions is the balcony we used for daily breakfast, watching the city's fireworks, and just being glad we were there.
Was this a bit "over the top"? Absolutely! Conversely, my husband pronounced it one of the most user friendly rooms he had stayed in.

The People:
Yes, Casa Misha is incredibly beautiful. But that is not what makes it what it is. It has a heart--that being its owners. Ed and Richard spent over four years building, decorating, furnishing, and perfecting. Everything framed, hung, walked on, sat on, or eaten off was bought on a special trip, passed on by family, or searched for by them alone. When I asked if they were ever concerned that something might break or be ruined, Ed shrugged his shoulders. "It is all here to be shared".
Service really isn't the word to describe what is provided. Everyone at Casa Misha seemed to feel that we were friends they would jump through hoops for to make sure our visit was the best possible. ie: The Doc Severinson concert was sold out.
An employee went to the venue to plea our case, multiple phone calls were made, and finally Ed contacted someone that he had done a favor for--we had our tickets. (It was a fabulous evening.) We were going to miss a TV show that I really wanted to see. Richard ran out to get a tape, recorded the program, and we all watched it while drinking margaritas on their five person couch. Ed was always available to discuss places to go, see, eat--or just for a few hours of chat. We would return from our daily outings, plunk down on the sofa, and the afternoon would disappear into a sea of words.
Giselle and Magda--they make every guest request, effort made, emergency attended to appear routine. Examples abound! Two guests arrived at the airport having left their passports in their room safe. Without skipping a beat, Giselle got their flight information, contacted a driver who arrived immediately, and the passports were delivered. Magda made, canceled, and re-booked multiple dinner reservations. One evening my husband didn't feel great--I asked Magda if there was a nearby place that would deliver pizza. Within fifteen minutes pizza, china, and silver arrived at our door. Then there was the yogurt incident: On Trip Advisor I had questioned the availability of yogurt in town. As we settled in after arrival the exact yogurt I like was presented for my approval. (I never found out who took care of that!)

And everyone else----always pleasant, always helpful, did what was asked of them and did what we didn't realize we needed. In a different environment this type of behavior might be fawning or obsequious. Not so--just nice people doing what they feel is suitable and appropriate.

Susie and Elsa are part and parcel of a Casa Misha visit. (unless one doesn't want them to be). One small, one larger, extremely friendly, and part of the family--these rescue dogs are the resident "furchildren" for all of us who needed a canine fix.

The Food:
A subject for a review unto itself. From the Cinnamon French Toast to Ed's Crab Filled Pasta--it surpassed any of our meals in San Miguel. Long story short--no opportunity for caloric intake was skipped by either by husband or myself.

Yes this is long. No, it doesn't say all that needs to be said. Unfortunately words can not adequately convey what this type of experience can bring to a person and their vacation.

Bottom line: I do not, absolutely, unequivocally, want to return to San Miguel without staying at Casa Misha.

4  Thank MaryPasadena
Reviewed April 14, 2010

From the moment you make the reservation Ed and Richard, the proprietors, make you feel special. The excellently trained staff contribute to the richness of your stay. All of our needs were not only met, but anticipated as well. A beautiful breakfast complete with fine china and linens is included and there are many options as to where you may dine. There are several outdoor terraces, some with views of the city, an interior garden, a dining room or your hotel room. We had guests visit and wanted drinks and appetizers on one of the outdoor terraces. To our surprise they set a beautiful table with freshly pressed linens and flowers. The flowering Jacaranda and sunset were an added bonus. The rooms are very luxe - with the best linens and turn down service with chocolates. The location is great because we walked everywhere or they are happy to order a cab for you. Their prices are competitive - even friendly when they have promotions and they are pet friendly. We can't wait to return.

4  Thank martamac
Reviewed March 31, 2010

The owners and staff at Casa Misha are like the family you always wished you had. Everyone is friendly, helpful, accommodating, interesting, always in good moods, eager to please and make your stay the most comfortable possible. The bedrooms and public rooms are all beautifully and artistically decorated, the china and linens are the best quality, as are the bed linens and towels. We stayed for 8 nights and were very sad to leave. Now that we are home, we are still in touch with our new Casa Misha friends and even one of the house dogs, Susie. We hope to return in the not too distant future!
J. and S. from Baltimore, MD