Leokwe Camp - Mapungubwe National Park
$407
$297
$59
  • Pool
Tuli Safari Lodge(Northern Tuli Game Reserve)
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Santhata Camp(Northern Tuli Game Reserve)
TripAdvisor
Tuli Wilderness Serolo Camp(Northern Tuli Game Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
Serolo Safari Camp(Northern Tuli Game Reserve)
TripAdvisor
Molema Bush Camp(Northern Tuli Game Reserve)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsleokwe campnational parkbraai arealimpopo riversouth africabird hidebring your ownthe reservesandstone cliffstwo daysamazing settingsecond visitdirt roadtuck shopwestern sectionbirdsvalley
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I had little knowledge of Mapungubwe until I saw a programme on BBC about the Mapungubwe Hill and the history of this area. I absolutely love baobab trees and the thought of spending time amongst them and being close to the Limpopo River were enough for me to book 3 nights in March as a finale to my 24 day 'bush fix'. I was seriously hooked and fell in love with this very beautiful and spiritual area.

The receptionists, gate keeper, cleaners and tour guides were all very warm, welcoming and helpful - a very different experience to Kruger Park staff.

Leokwe camp is very thoughtfully built into the surrounding rock area without being intrusive on the natural landscape. The chalets are lovely, comfortable and have a reasonably well equipped kitchen and braai area. I was very pleasantly surprised by the standards.

The confluence viewing areas are magical and it was a real thrill to look out across the Limpopo River and send prayers to my homeland, Zimbabwe, as well as see the Shashe River, creating the borders between South Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe. There are lovely picnic areas here as well. I was amazed and delighted to see so much varied game - wildebeest, impala, first time ever - gemsbok, klipspringer, kudu, zebra, eland (albeit running at a pace), a rhino as well as leopard and lion spoor. The most magical of all was viewing a herd of ellies coming up from the river browsing on the trees as they went along - one in particular decided to get very close and give me a soul touching experience. I was bemused to see cattle,donkeys and goats in the reserve, which seemed a little at odds with protecting areas of vegetation from elephants! I understand they came across from Zimbabwe and no doubt make for easy prey for the predators.

Its well worth taking the tour of the Mapungubwe Hill which I took one afternoon with Cedric. It is a fascinating account of the history of the area and you climb up 137 steps to the top of the hill giving you stunning views and a beautiful sunset sky. It also allows you into areas that the public are not allowed to drive through, affording you game viewing opportunities as well as beautiful vistas of rocky outcrops and baobab trees.

I will definitely return to this peaceful haven for a longer period as I ran out of time to explore it all and would recommend it as a place to restore your soul and find peace within. If you own a 4x4 you will be able to take a number of drives that are not suitable for normal vehicles.

Room Tip: I liked being away from the pool area etc., so would recommend chalet 9, 10 or 11 and if you want to be near a baobab tree ask for room 2!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank UKIngwe
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Leokwe Rest Camp is situated in the Eastern Section of the Mapungubwe National Park. It is an easy 30-minute drive from the Main Gate on a well-maintained road. Closeby attractions are the Treetop Walk and the Confluence View. The camp itself it set in a valley surrounded by rocky hills and outcrops. The setting is perfect.

The chalets are luxurious, with ample room and proper airconditioning. The outside shower came as a pleasant surprise. Everything was in perfect working condition, except the plumbing in need of a bit of attention. Beds were comfortable and the braai area on the verandah is peaceful and pleasant, especially at night.

The swimming pool is great, well-located with pretty views into the valley. I would recommend at least a 2-night stay.

Room Tip: The units are pretty much the same, but it is convenient to be close to the pool. Be careful to keep windows and doors closed to prevent snakes from entering the chalet.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ahlers
Reviewed March 1, 2012

we spent two nights here before gong into the krugerpark at Pafuri gate (about two and half hours drive away). the chalets were surprisingly comfortable, clean and well stocked. they are thatch with a great outlook and outside BBQ/braai area. having breakfast one morning we saw hyena in the bush and there was signs of other game but we did not see much else. the scenery and stillness is the main attraction here - its very 'spiritual'. the rock formations are really spectacular. the camp has a small pool in the rock, which was a welcome 'cool-down' after a hot day.

Room Tip: we were in room 1 which was close enough to the pool. it was not noisy at all and the chalets are spread out so they would probably all be fine
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kadJhb
Reviewed October 9, 2011

We had two nights at this camp. Stayed in a chalet. Was well worth the side trip on our way to Botswana. The chalets are set in amongst rock formations that provide a spectacular backdrop. Chalet was clean and we found it easy if you have arranged to self-cater which is the only option. BBQs are provided. The park was relatively free of tourists. Park staff were very friendly and helpful. Treetop walkway was great and we did it numerous times especially in the morning. Quiet and peaceful location. We also did the walk to the lookout over the river confluence. Best part of this was seeing a relaxed bull eland only 3 metres away. A bit close for our comfort but a thrill. We saw a lot of animals. No big cats but plenty of others - elephants, giraffe, various antelopes, many birds, and baboons. Did a heritage tour which was OK.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Scamp7
Reviewed August 23, 2009

Although Mapungubwe is a small National Park, it’s worth a visit for a couple of nights. We stayed in Leokwe Camp, which has about 16 or 17 beautiful thatched cottages, with outdoor shower.
Don’t expect to see much wildlife, although one evening we had elephants passing our cottage! Surrounding is awesome. Cottages are self-catering, there is no restaurant of shop in the park, so bring your own stock.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple