“No Hot water!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Shotley Bridge
Crown & Crossed Swords
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Stayed here whilst doing the C2C. Good location as not far from the route and easy to find. Arrived late afternoon only to find there was no hot water for a shower. We inquired about this and was told that we had arrived after a group of cyclists so we just needed to wait a while for the water to heat up. We waited 2 hours and the water was still freezing not great after a long days cycling. As it was Sunday the restaurant was closed and there was no where else open in the village to eat except for the Chinese take away, I wasn't made aware of this when it was booked! The room it self was OK but the pipes in the building were really loud and so when anyone in the building turned on a tap it sounded like a herd of elephants were in the building not great for a good nights sleep! It is advertised as having cycle storage but quite small and was already full when we arrived! Overall very disappointing and not a great place to stay after a days cycling. We did complain about these issues and were given a discount and the staff were understanding about the issues.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Stephanie O

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel recently as part of a wedding party. We booked an en-suite room and when we arrived we discovered it had been given to another couple. The staff did offer to move the other couple out but I said you can't do that. I had to accept the room as at it was too shorter notice to find another room elsewhere.The room was very dated and looked very tired but thought it is one night and we would survive it. The bathroom had a really big rust stain from the taps to almost to the middle of the bath but had to use it as we had been traveling for five hours and really needed a shower. We went to the wedding came back for the When we went back up to room to go to bed and found the room to be extremely warm so I asked my fiance to turn the radiator off to find he couldn't as the knob was broken, so slept with the window open all night. Oh and the bed was like sleeping on a board and was on the slant (good job I'd had a few vodkas). When we got up in the morning I went to close the the window to find it it was thick with black mold. We got washed and dressed went for breakfast again food was good. Went back to the room to collect our stuff and looked inside the wardrobe to find either a mattress topper or a duvet rolled up in the bottom that had a really large very black stain on it so god only knows what we had been sleeping on all night... It was so bad it was really funny. I would not return to this B&B unless it had a complete overhaul and I certainly wouldn't recommend this B&B to anyone else.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MichelleandFin
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

This B&B is ok as far as value for money goes but could really do with a good clean and redecorating. The room we stayed in had no shower just a bath and the hot water ran out before you could get a half decent bath run. We stayed as part of a wedding party and the reception was held there. The food was very good and staff very pleasant and attentive. Another couple who booked their room several months ago were told that we had been given their room and that they would move us out!!! They then got given another room that had a shared bathroom and toilet, they said the bath had a massive rust like stain right down the middle of it, they had no choice but to stay there at such short notice but were given a £10 reduction in their room rate. The breakfast was very good though fresh coffee avaliable and lots of cereal to choose from followed by a full English. Although I would not stay here again (unless the aforementioned clean up at least had been done) I would say that for £50 a night for 2 people B&B is a good price.

• Stayed: March 2013
The Manor House Inn
#1 of 2 in Shotley Bridge
Deneview Bed & Breakfast
Bee Cottage Farm Guest House

Been to Crown & Crossed Swords? Share your experiences!