“Enjoyed our stay”

Kinnitty Castle Hotel
Ireland
“Enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed March 22, 2010

We received a free upgrade to a suite with a lovely big bedroom and bathroom. There was even a large four poster bed which our daughter loved to roll around in. The travel cot was set up for us too. Furniture was fashioned to pre 19th Century period. We enjoyed the breakfast and evening meal. The castle is set in lovely grounds with stables.

The hotel is currently owned by Bank of Ireland and it looks like to us that they are investing the minimum they can to keep it ticking over. Minor repairs like a cracked window, warped toilet seat and wall painting restoration needed to be carried out. The staff were very pleasant but over worked as there were so few of them. There was one young man in particular who seemed to be working very long hours and doing a multitude of jobs from making rooms to cooking the breakfasts. We stayed 2 nights from St Patricks Day and expected more guests to reside there.

I thinks some of the recent reviews were not complimentary and did not paint an accurate picture. This tired old lady is a good host but needs extra attention and care by the current owners.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Kat54

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
offaly
Reviewed March 22, 2010

My son had his wedding in kinnitty castle last friday,what a great time we all had,we were made to feel so welcome by all the staff.they couldn't do enough for us,from the candles,the tea lights down to the snow white table cloths and even a cushion for my pregnant daughters back so she could sit comfortably watching everyone dance the night away,the room looked amazing! I would also like to say a big thank you to the bar staff who kept the drink flowing all night,and to the lovely waitress's who served us our food,it was fab! From the banqueting hall we went to the dungeon bar to finish off the night for more drink and a sing song,dont know what time we went to our rooms at but everyone was well impressed with their rooms,they were fab! Next morning we all had a big breakfast and went home very happy after our stay at the wonderful and fabulous kinnitty castle hotel.Once again thank you all for a brilliant time.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Myself and my partner stayed in this hotel for a relaxing weekend away. We were a bit sceptical about going to the hotel after reading some of the reviews, however we decided to try it as we wanted to stay somewhere a bit different and the value of the package was great.

We stayed in a suite which was lovely, and the bathroom had a free standing bath. Bed was very cosy and comfy and the room was lovely and warm. (On the downside, if you are fussy, a paint job is needed, as there are some cracks etc on the walls and ceilings) The bathroom could have been slightly cleaner and the toliet seat needs to be changed. These are only small things. I am quite fussy. The view from the room was lovely and we didn't hear noise from other rooms.

The staff were very pleasant and fulfilled any requests we had.
Like the other comment about breakfast, we got it to the room on both mornings and did not get exactly what we ordered. We rang down and explained this and we got what we ordered delivered to our room about 5mins later. The food was lovely. One of the nicest breakfasts I have had in a hotel.

I was a little disappointed to be told the restaurant would not open on the Sunday evening and the Monk's Kitchen closed at 7pm, so there was nowhere for a proper meal that evening, but the food in the Monks Kitchen was lovely and great value.

Overall, yes improvements could be made, but for the price you are paying this is a lovely place to go.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
KCManager1209, General manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2010
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor, we take all comments on board, I'm sorry your room service order was incorrect & missing some items. In relation to your other comments, we will address these.
Again many thanks for your comments
Kind Regards,
Steven Linehan
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Just returned from a two night weekend break at Kinnitty Castle (2 nights B&B + 1 Evening Meal @ €99 pps). Having read the previous reviews we were aware the hotel was not quite at the standard it may have been in the past so we were not expecting serious luxury considering a) it is a centuries old castle and b) the reasonable cost of the deal. I felt I had to write this review however just to give an account of our fairly terrible experience just so people are aware and can consider it before making a booking. We have both stayed in many hotels at home and abroad over the years, quite a few on this same deal and we would feel we are reasonable customers, easy-going and not too demanding. This was by far the worst experience we’ve had on any hotel break for the following reasons:
The main problem is the complete lack of any soundproofing between the rooms on the ground and 1st floor. We stayed in Room Kieran (1st floor) and basically may as well have spent the weekend sharing with the couple in the room below us. We could hear absolutely everything they said and did whenever they were in their room, from chatting (not excessively, always at a normal level) to snoring, breaking wind and even stirring a cup of tea! While this might be distracting enough during the day, at 2.00am each night it was seriously stressful. It really was like having them in the same room so impossible to ignore, even for the heaviest sleeper. Everyone has been in a room where noise filters through from next door but this was completely unreasonable. Every time the man had a cigarette out his window (we could hear each time he announced he was going to do that to his wife!) the smell immediately came up into our room. We spoke to the manager the 1st morning to see if each room was like that and if any were better insulated and while he was very pleasant, he said there was nothing he could do, there was zero soundproofing throughout the hotel and all he could recommend was to either “get drunk or get earplugs”! I think that makes a bit of a mockery of the hotels claim to be a haven for rest and relaxation and thus why they have no TV’s in the rooms to encourage that!
Other less serious issues included not getting what we ordered for breakfast in bed the 1st morning (arrived ½ hour late, orange juice instead of grapefruit, Weetabix instead of mueslie, only one cereal bowl, bread barely toasted and only on one side) even though they were listed as choices on the menu. The evening meal while being tasty would be bettered by most pub carvery’s. Soup or salad to start. Salmon, bacon (which the chef stated was pork when listing the choices) or chicken with a jacket potato and spoon of veg as a main. A slice of store bought pie for desert, tea or coffee from a dispenser served with teabag in cup.
On the plus side the staff and manager are friendly, the library bar is very nice and cosy with leather couches, bookshelves and an open fire, there is a very nice loop walk of 8/10km around the forest in the grounds and it is a real castle with authentic furniture, design and decoration (candles flickering everywhere so very atmospheric). Also the breakfast we had in the dining room on the 2nd morning was nice with a good choice. All these were unfortunately completely overruled by the noise issue however, which on it’s own made even the price of the deal we got probably the worst value for money we’ve ever had. What we were looking forward to as a relaxing weekend as advertised turned into a stressful few days which nearly drove us to rowing! We couldn’t wait to get back home to catch up on some sleep!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brazilnutDublin
KCManager1209, general manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in relation to kKnnitty castle. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay at Kinnitty castle, I wish to assure you we will do our utmost to resolve the issues that you raised.
On a positive note, I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast & found our staff friendly & welcoming.
kindest regards,
steven linehan
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Firstly just to note that I didn't stay in this hotel. I went there for the day to visit the castle and make a future booking. However, what I saw and subsequent experience afterwards made me change my mind.

Myself, my sister and my parents took a drive from Dublin to visit the hotel. From the outside when we drove up, the whole estate looks very impressive. The grounds are immaculate and easy to see why so many people say the castle is beautiful from the outside.

When we got into the castle however, it was quite a different story.

It was raining that morning and therefore mud on the carpets coming into the reception was of course to be expected. However, bits of food and mashed cake in the ground should not be. We came to the reception when the receptionist was busy talking to some customers. Myself and my father walked into the room to the right of the reception. This room obviously had a function in it the night before as it was covered in burst balloons on the floor. There were several cakes on a counter and some mashed cake on the floor. The room was in total disarray. When we exited the room to talk to the girl at reception there was no one around to talk to us. We continued on through the castle and myself, my sister and my mother made a stop in the ladies toilets. The smell coming from these toilets was quite overpowering. The sinks were filthy and my father had to go into the gents toilet in order to get us some paper and between the three toilets there was none available. There appeared to be a child's birthday going on in another room so we went downstairs. We ended up in the Monks Kitchen. We decided to have a drink at the bar. With everyone seated I went to the bar and eventually went off to find a barman in order that we may be served. We ordered some drinks and my father was presented with a filthy glass complete with lipstick. When i asked the barman if he had any ice he stated that there was none so I cancelled my drink as a warm rum and coke does not always go down well. I was informed that there was no ice in the whole hotel??? Bit of laziness on the barmans part methinks!

We decided against having some food there as there was one foreign lady in another part of the dungeon who seems very hassled and rushed off her feet. This was the only member of staff we saw in the dungeon other than what can only be described as a very lazy barman, who even upon seeing my father not use his dirty glass, made no move to replace it with a clean one.

We continued having a look around the castle after my parents finished their drinks to find the floors littered with rubbish and grubby and no staff present to ask questions or any other information from.

We left the castle feeling a little angry having come all the way down after reading on the website how spectacular the place was meant to be.

Perhaps at night when the candles are lit and the music is on the place comes to life a bit more.

I felt a quick email to the manager was in order just to mention about our experience and received an email back saying that he had dismissed a member of staff over my email and another one had been given a verbal warning I found this extremely unprofessional and feel that I should be able to make a complaint without someone's job on the line.

The email from the manager cemented my views on Kinnity Castle and leads me to believe that they cater more for the 'celebrity' persona rather than the local person.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Specialk-74
thank-you for your comments, we will do our utmost to make sure these issues do not occur again.
Again my apologies.
kindest regards,
steven linehan
Sligo
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Our extended family group of 40 people (age range from 3 months to 70+) stayed in Kinnitty Castle for two wonderful, charming and great fun evenings. The staff (Steven, Davina, Rachel, Steve and those who were so busy helping that we didn't get time to get their names) were wonderful. The Castle provided everything we wanted to constitute a great weekend - fabulous food, wonderful library rooms and sitting areas with open fires, the extensive land to roam outside and the willingness of the staff to make our weekend memorable. Well done and huge thank you to all.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2010

My husband and I recently celebrated our wedding anniversay at kinnity castle. I have read all the previous review and am not surprised to find that most people had a similar experience to ours!...We had initially visited kinnitty with friends in december, and as we had gotten a very good deal we were unsure of what to expect really, we went looking for a quiet break, away from televisions and phones and our children!!! so people who love old castles and buildings will appreciate we were absolutely thrilled at the history in which the castle was steeped in, and the effort the staff went to to ensure we were looked after depite working on a skeletel staff. We were so taken with the atmosphere and friendliness of the staff particularly, that we decided to return for a longer stay for our anniversary. We got a fantastic deal for two nights which included a meal. On our arrival we got the warm welcome we had expected we would recieve, the room we had requested, which was perfect! yes of course there were a few creaky bits and pieces but what else were we to expect in such an old building! (It was more atmospheric anyway!!) We went horseriding and met chris, who was extrememly friendly, interesting and fun company for an hour!! (and brave taking me horseriding!!). Honestly, this is really a lovely place to escape to, and I love the laid back atmosphere and the way nothing is too much trouble. We felt very at home there and will return again for sure. thanks stephen & rachel and all the staff!! M & M

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DublinWiseOwls
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinnitty
Ballyfin Demesne
The Heritage Killenard
The Heritage Killenard
#1 of 1 in Killenard
Bridge House Hotel, Spa and Leisure Club

Been to Kinnitty Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!