“lovely weekend!”

Kinnitty Castle Hotel
“lovely weekend!”
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Myself and my partner stayed in this hotel for a relaxing weekend away. We were a bit sceptical about going to the hotel after reading some of the reviews, however we decided to try it as we wanted to stay somewhere a bit different and the value of the package was great.

We stayed in a suite which was lovely, and the bathroom had a free standing bath. Bed was very cosy and comfy and the room was lovely and warm. (On the downside, if you are fussy, a paint job is needed, as there are some cracks etc on the walls and ceilings) The bathroom could have been slightly cleaner and the toliet seat needs to be changed. These are only small things. I am quite fussy. The view from the room was lovely and we didn't hear noise from other rooms.

The staff were very pleasant and fulfilled any requests we had.
Like the other comment about breakfast, we got it to the room on both mornings and did not get exactly what we ordered. We rang down and explained this and we got what we ordered delivered to our room about 5mins later. The food was lovely. One of the nicest breakfasts I have had in a hotel.

I was a little disappointed to be told the restaurant would not open on the Sunday evening and the Monk's Kitchen closed at 7pm, so there was nowhere for a proper meal that evening, but the food in the Monks Kitchen was lovely and great value.

Overall, yes improvements could be made, but for the price you are paying this is a lovely place to go.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
KCManager1209, General manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2010
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments on trip advisor, we take all comments on board, I'm sorry your room service order was incorrect & missing some items. In relation to your other comments, we will address these.
Again many thanks for your comments
Kind Regards,
Steven Linehan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Just returned from a two night weekend break at Kinnitty Castle (2 nights B&B + 1 Evening Meal @ €99 pps). Having read the previous reviews we were aware the hotel was not quite at the standard it may have been in the past so we were not expecting serious luxury considering a) it is a centuries old castle and b) the reasonable cost of the deal. I felt I had to write this review however just to give an account of our fairly terrible experience just so people are aware and can consider it before making a booking. We have both stayed in many hotels at home and abroad over the years, quite a few on this same deal and we would feel we are reasonable customers, easy-going and not too demanding. This was by far the worst experience we’ve had on any hotel break for the following reasons:
The main problem is the complete lack of any soundproofing between the rooms on the ground and 1st floor. We stayed in Room Kieran (1st floor) and basically may as well have spent the weekend sharing with the couple in the room below us. We could hear absolutely everything they said and did whenever they were in their room, from chatting (not excessively, always at a normal level) to snoring, breaking wind and even stirring a cup of tea! While this might be distracting enough during the day, at 2.00am each night it was seriously stressful. It really was like having them in the same room so impossible to ignore, even for the heaviest sleeper. Everyone has been in a room where noise filters through from next door but this was completely unreasonable. Every time the man had a cigarette out his window (we could hear each time he announced he was going to do that to his wife!) the smell immediately came up into our room. We spoke to the manager the 1st morning to see if each room was like that and if any were better insulated and while he was very pleasant, he said there was nothing he could do, there was zero soundproofing throughout the hotel and all he could recommend was to either “get drunk or get earplugs”! I think that makes a bit of a mockery of the hotels claim to be a haven for rest and relaxation and thus why they have no TV’s in the rooms to encourage that!
Other less serious issues included not getting what we ordered for breakfast in bed the 1st morning (arrived ½ hour late, orange juice instead of grapefruit, Weetabix instead of mueslie, only one cereal bowl, bread barely toasted and only on one side) even though they were listed as choices on the menu. The evening meal while being tasty would be bettered by most pub carvery’s. Soup or salad to start. Salmon, bacon (which the chef stated was pork when listing the choices) or chicken with a jacket potato and spoon of veg as a main. A slice of store bought pie for desert, tea or coffee from a dispenser served with teabag in cup.
On the plus side the staff and manager are friendly, the library bar is very nice and cosy with leather couches, bookshelves and an open fire, there is a very nice loop walk of 8/10km around the forest in the grounds and it is a real castle with authentic furniture, design and decoration (candles flickering everywhere so very atmospheric). Also the breakfast we had in the dining room on the 2nd morning was nice with a good choice. All these were unfortunately completely overruled by the noise issue however, which on it’s own made even the price of the deal we got probably the worst value for money we’ve ever had. What we were looking forward to as a relaxing weekend as advertised turned into a stressful few days which nearly drove us to rowing! We couldn’t wait to get back home to catch up on some sleep!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank brazilnutDublin
KCManager1209, general manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, March 16, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments in relation to kKnnitty castle. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay at Kinnitty castle, I wish to assure you we will do our utmost to resolve the issues that you raised.
On a positive note, I'm glad you enjoyed the breakfast & found our staff friendly & welcoming.
kindest regards,
steven linehan
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Firstly just to note that I didn't stay in this hotel. I went there for the day to visit the castle and make a future booking. However, what I saw and subsequent experience afterwards made me change my mind.

Myself, my sister and my parents took a drive from Dublin to visit the hotel. From the outside when we drove up, the whole estate looks very impressive. The grounds are immaculate and easy to see why so many people say the castle is beautiful from the outside.

When we got into the castle however, it was quite a different story.

It was raining that morning and therefore mud on the carpets coming into the reception was of course to be expected. However, bits of food and mashed cake in the ground should not be. We came to the reception when the receptionist was busy talking to some customers. Myself and my father walked into the room to the right of the reception. This room obviously had a function in it the night before as it was covered in burst balloons on the floor. There were several cakes on a counter and some mashed cake on the floor. The room was in total disarray. When we exited the room to talk to the girl at reception there was no one around to talk to us. We continued on through the castle and myself, my sister and my mother made a stop in the ladies toilets. The smell coming from these toilets was quite overpowering. The sinks were filthy and my father had to go into the gents toilet in order to get us some paper and between the three toilets there was none available. There appeared to be a child's birthday going on in another room so we went downstairs. We ended up in the Monks Kitchen. We decided to have a drink at the bar. With everyone seated I went to the bar and eventually went off to find a barman in order that we may be served. We ordered some drinks and my father was presented with a filthy glass complete with lipstick. When i asked the barman if he had any ice he stated that there was none so I cancelled my drink as a warm rum and coke does not always go down well. I was informed that there was no ice in the whole hotel??? Bit of laziness on the barmans part methinks!

We decided against having some food there as there was one foreign lady in another part of the dungeon who seems very hassled and rushed off her feet. This was the only member of staff we saw in the dungeon other than what can only be described as a very lazy barman, who even upon seeing my father not use his dirty glass, made no move to replace it with a clean one.

We continued having a look around the castle after my parents finished their drinks to find the floors littered with rubbish and grubby and no staff present to ask questions or any other information from.

We left the castle feeling a little angry having come all the way down after reading on the website how spectacular the place was meant to be.

Perhaps at night when the candles are lit and the music is on the place comes to life a bit more.

I felt a quick email to the manager was in order just to mention about our experience and received an email back saying that he had dismissed a member of staff over my email and another one had been given a verbal warning I found this extremely unprofessional and feel that I should be able to make a complaint without someone's job on the line.

The email from the manager cemented my views on Kinnity Castle and leads me to believe that they cater more for the 'celebrity' persona rather than the local person.

1 Thank Specialk-74
thank-you for your comments, we will do our utmost to make sure these issues do not occur again.
Again my apologies.
kindest regards,
steven linehan
Sligo
Reviewed March 2, 2010

Our extended family group of 40 people (age range from 3 months to 70+) stayed in Kinnitty Castle for two wonderful, charming and great fun evenings. The staff (Steven, Davina, Rachel, Steve and those who were so busy helping that we didn't get time to get their names) were wonderful. The Castle provided everything we wanted to constitute a great weekend - fabulous food, wonderful library rooms and sitting areas with open fires, the extensive land to roam outside and the willingness of the staff to make our weekend memorable. Well done and huge thank you to all.

Reviewed February 22, 2010

My husband and I recently celebrated our wedding anniversay at kinnity castle. I have read all the previous review and am not surprised to find that most people had a similar experience to ours!...We had initially visited kinnitty with friends in december, and as we had gotten a very good deal we were unsure of what to expect really, we went looking for a quiet break, away from televisions and phones and our children!!! so people who love old castles and buildings will appreciate we were absolutely thrilled at the history in which the castle was steeped in, and the effort the staff went to to ensure we were looked after depite working on a skeletel staff. We were so taken with the atmosphere and friendliness of the staff particularly, that we decided to return for a longer stay for our anniversary. We got a fantastic deal for two nights which included a meal. On our arrival we got the warm welcome we had expected we would recieve, the room we had requested, which was perfect! yes of course there were a few creaky bits and pieces but what else were we to expect in such an old building! (It was more atmospheric anyway!!) We went horseriding and met chris, who was extrememly friendly, interesting and fun company for an hour!! (and brave taking me horseriding!!). Honestly, this is really a lovely place to escape to, and I love the laid back atmosphere and the way nothing is too much trouble. We felt very at home there and will return again for sure. thanks stephen & rachel and all the staff!! M & M

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank DublinWiseOwls
Limerick
Reviewed February 10, 2010

Having read the other reviews I am in a state of shock. I have just returned from a two night stay in this "Castle" and I am so disappointed. I cannot believe the other reviews from people who have seemed to stay there around the same time as us. This was our first break away together since our daughter was born and to say we were disappointed is an understatement. I understand that the castle is old but there was absolutely no excuse for some of what we encountered. I feel it is really feeling the brunt of the recession. After the initial shock that there was no television, on having a look around we noticed that the curtains were falling down from the window in our room which overlooked the entrance to the Castle, but to top it off, we had ivy growing from the window in our room behind the curtains.(inside) The water in the bath/shower was airlocked and rust came from the tap in the bath, water hot one minute and cold the next, the mirror was all rust so it made it next to impossible for applying make up or shaving, the room was heated by way of a dimplex storage heater, the radiators just about lukewarm, oh, and the UHT milk in the bowl on the table when I went to make some tea was green and mouldy in two of the cartons - out of date since April, 2009. This turned my stomach as I feel there is no excuse for that and it boils down to bad housekeeping, which incidentially on saturday morning as we were returning to our room after breakfast, shouted up the stairs after us "did we want our room made up" that's unacceptable. The radiator in our bathroom was also leaking, alot of cobwebs and a hole in the window. The bed was clean and resasonably comfortable and the towels were clean. We got the feeling that the room we had been given was only unlocked this year and that it had not been used at all last year as there was a sign on the back of the door with prices for 2008 no mention of 2009! In the bar there was no Heineken on draught we were told that the suppliers didn't deliver on that day, surprising as it was an extremely busy weekend with the Hotel booked out for the Saturday night due to a party. Having said all this, we ate in the Monks Kitchen on both nights and the food there is really lovely, freshly cooked and the chef and waitress are lovely, the bread is to die for....breakfast in the Sli Dala - fine dining restaurant - was lovely, breakfast was hot and no problem if you asked for something not on the menu. The library bar was lovely but again the curtains hanging down, to me that does not help with atmosphere of a place, its just sheer bad management. Didn't find the staff very friendly, kept their distance in that we were the only couple in the Dungeon bar for a while on one of the nights and the Barman made no attempt to make conversation and only answered you if you spoke to him. Candles everywhere which was a nice touch but in alot of places they were the only source of light and we witnessed some people tripping over steps etc.. Overall it was a very disappointing experience, I was expecting more from staying in a "Castle". Maybe we drew the short straw but I won't be recommending this place to friends, they can't believe the pictures I have taken. It was not value for money, extremely, extremely disappointing.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
KCManager1209, General Manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
We take all comments seriously, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your stay. I will investagate the issues that you raised. Many thanks for your comments.
Steven Linehan, General Manager.
Offaly
Reviewed February 9, 2010

We're a group of 11, ranging in age from 5 to 80 who booked for mum's 80th birthday . We have traveled all over the world and have seldom experienced the total package that is Kinnitty Castle. Everything from the quality of the food, the four poster beds and beautiful surroundings, to the friendly attentive staff, made it an unforgettable weekend. There was something for everyone, forest walks, horses, history and music. From start to finish it was one of the best experiences of our lives. We all took home amazing memories of our stay and would definitely book this hotel again

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
KCManager1209, General manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, February 10, 2010
It was a pleasure to met you all last weekend, I'm delighted you really enjoyed your stay. I'll pass on your kind thoughts & comments to the staff. Looking forward to welcoming you all back in the near future!
Regards,
Steven Linehan.
General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinnitty
Ballyfin Demesne
Bridge House Hotel, Spa and Leisure Club
Sheraton Athlone
Sheraton Athlone
#3 of 9 in Athlone

Been to Kinnitty Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!