“Wonderful place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Kinnitty Castle Hotel

Kinnitty Castle Hotel
Dublin, Ireland
“Wonderful place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014

Just spent two nights at the wonderful Kinnitty Castle and we couldn't fault it. My wife and I were guests at a wedding and the food was just delicious. Most guests opted for lamb shanks and everybody was raving about how good they were. My wife opted for the chicken which she said was top class. A lot of young staff here but they were very friendly and efficient in their work and attended to everyones requests right away. Some of the guest rooms are huge but rooms at the top of the castle mightn't be a good idea for those with limited walking/climbing abilities. That said, the entire wedding party of about 80 people had good things to say about their rooms. The hotel has everything going for it including the great location including fine nature walks . We certainly would stay here again in the future.

1 Thank Alan1000
kinnittymanagement, General Manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 23, 2014
Dear Alan1000

Thank you for your kind comments, I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and your experience at the wedding celebration as we try our best to offer good hospitality with friendly service and good food.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

the castle is an impressive building, that would benefit from ivy cladding. a nice red-carpet entrance flanked by a couple of suits of armour creates a good first impression. On check-in our rooms were late but we were given complimentary prosecco in apology. the staff were mixed. in the restaurant, where I thought the dinner was of a good quality and good portions, the staff were good. on check-in, the lady who greeted us was not rude but was just lacking in an understanding of customer service (no enquiries as to how we were, no explanatory talk, not smiling, etc.); the following day, the reception staff were better.
We had a state room with a massive boat bed, which was excellent. huge, atmospheric, great bathrooms. I imagine it could get a bit drafty but we were fine in the summer.
we did the clay pigeon shooting which was good fun. the guy doing it was excellent - full of stories and useful advice - I recommend the experience.
Breakfast the following day was nothing more than ok. not great quality of ingredients I felt and presentation could be improved.
The communal areas are well conceived with some nice touches but suffer from a lack of money being spent. Rips in the chairs in the drawing room, carpet going bald in places, light fittings need some attention. The dungeon bar wasn't open but we had a look around and it was a bit dingy, though some may find it atmospheric. wonder if the space could be better used - make it into a pool and gym complex, for example.
Great grounds surrounding the hotel - well worth a walk.
overall, given the price, an excellent stay and a good experience but I wish they would address some of the maintenance issues to give the castle a real luxury feel.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Adam85London
Dear Adam85london

Thank you for your review of Kinnitty Castle Hotel and drawing some aspects of your stay to our attention. Over all I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and I hope that your positive experiences encourage you to revisit us in the future

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2014

We had our wedding reception at kinnitty Castle on the 1st may 2014 and we both would like to say a big thank you to Cavan ,Aoife and all the wonderful staff who looked after us both and our guests. We got married in New York city and came home to celebrate with our family and friends with a buffet style reception. Cavan was very helpful and accommodating. Nothing was too much trouble. Everyone is still talking about the food both for the buffet and the evening food. We had family and friends from Ireland the U.k and other European countries, they were all very impressed with Kinnity castle.
We would like to say a big thank you for making our day so special and we will see you all again soon.
Catherine and Malcolm Greig

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Catherine G,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review Kinnitty Castle Hotel, we are so happy to read that you enjoyed your wedding and I hope we have helped in creating life long memories for you both.

We look forward to welcoming you back here in the future

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2014 via mobile

Had a fab couple of days in Kinnitty castle. Accomadation excellent and the food was very good. Our children also enjoyed their visit and went on a 1 hour pony trek which they are still talking about. We will definitely be back.

Stayed August 2014
1 Thank Annette B
kinnittymanagement, General Manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Dear Annette Bennett,

Thank you for taking the time to review Kinnitty Castle Hotel, we like to welcome families just as much as other types of guests and I am glad that your children enjoyed their experience of an authentic Irish Castle as much as you did. Thank you for your positive comments on our food and for taking part in the activities that we offer. We look forward to your next visit

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

Spent a couple of nights and found it to be a very friendly and clean property. Evening Dinner was a treat, perfectly cooked and served by I very efficient floor staff The breakfast following morning was one of the best I have ever found in Ireland. Beds need to be changed as they were a bit lumpy! Staff friendly and helpful!

Room Tip: Upstairs front for total peace!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
1 Thank Sean N
Dear Sean N

Thank you for your review of Kinnitty Castle Hotel, I am happy that your experience with us was enjoyable and I hope we can welcome you here once again in the future

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Fawlty Towers

I bought a deal for this hotel on Living Social and it included afternoon tea, Unfortunately I did not read the small print as the voucher was only valid for Monday to Thursday which was something I could not avail of. I contacted the hotel and they agreed to let me use it at the weekend for a supplement of 30 euro. I was travelling from Dublin and found the hotels website very unclear in relation to directions so I used maps on the iphone to get me to Kinnity, which was a disaster. Eventually we got to the hotel and checked in. The receptionist did not offer to have the luggage sent to our room which was in the top floor at the back of the hotel in the Seret room. When we arrived in the room it was a very big room with a very unique décor, The décor the hotel was very unique and fitted in nicely to the castle medieval style. The room which was a state room one of the superior rooms had a number of flaws. There was a portable dimplex which was in the room and was broken. The fittings for the plugs were loose with wires almost exposed. There was a 19 inch Walker TV in the room about 5 meters from the bed. I searched for a half hour around the room for the remote control before I gave up and rang reception and asked where it was or could I get a replacement and I was told and I quote “ There is lots of remotes missing in the rooms and we have none at reception”. This is a four star hotel I was shocked at this. We arrived late so we went down to the bar to get a drink. We were told the dungeon bar was opening at 10 pm. We got a drink at the main bar and went down to the dungeon bar. There was about ten people in the bar waiting when the band was setting up and no one had a drink. The barman was shocked when he came down and said to everyone in the bar. I hope your not thirsty as it will be a while before the bar is open. The atmosphere in bar was only made enjoyable by the band and two singer who were very entertaining and gave a great trad/folk session to the ten or so people in the bar. We went to our room at about twelve. We were awoken from half two until about four. There was a corporate function on in the hotel and once it was finished they remained outside the hotel talking shouting a making noise awaiting there bus. The noise was so loud we thought the window was open . We eventually woke up and the next morning and I checked the window. The window was actually broker 1 pane was cracked the other pain had dropped and there was a gap that let in the wind and the noise. Luckily it was a calm and warm night otherwise the wind would have howled. We went for breakfast which was fine. I then went to have a bath before we left in the freestanding bath. I ran the tap and went about washing my teeth. I turned around to check how much of the bath was filled and I could see the bath full of black dirt coming out of the tap. Obviously the fact the taps were on full blast knocked loose so gung in the pipes. Needless to say I did not have a bath. The flush on the toilet need to be pressed about 10 times before the toilet would flush. We went to check out before our afternoon tea and stood around waiting to be checked out. There was no order to the check out. I had to pay my bill and was never given a receipt. We arrive in for afternoon tea. We were abandoned in a room with a pot of luke warm tea and a cake stand. The standard of afternoon tea was poor in comparison to other hotel we stayed in we were abandoned. We were waiting twenty minutes to be served The scones were burned a rock hard. We left after 20 mins.

I was very disappointed in this hotel. I was really looking forward to the stay in the hotel the surrounding grounds have become overgrown compared to the way they looked during the most haunted filming of an episode for Living. The service compared to other similar style hotel was disappointing. The fact that it is a castle does not excuse the standard that should be expected of a four star hotel in terms of the room maintenance and fixtures and fitting. However the hotel keeps very much to the original style of the castle which is unique.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank David B
Dear David B,

Thank you for your review and for choosing Kinnitty Castle Hotel for your stay. Most of the deal vouchers that we do are for midweek so I am happy that our team we able to accommodate you on a weekend night, I just apologise that it was not to the standard that you expected. I am surprised that no help was offered to you with your luggage, as the room you stayed in was at the top of the castle, with no elevators it is sometimes hard to reach this room with bags so as part of our service we always offer assistance with luggage, I will speak to our front office team in relation to this to ensure it does not happen again.
It is a requirement to have TV’s in all our rooms, although they do not suit the décor and we try to make them as inconspicuous as possible, we do try to offer as many guest amenities as we can in our rooms and we will look at improving the visibility of the TV in this particular room.
I am also quite upset at how you were spoken to on 2 occasions by members of our team, with on-going customer service training throughout all departments this is not something that should have happened and I will investigate this further.
Correctly, we did have a corporate function on this particular night; I am sorry that they disturbed your sleep.
Thank you for bringing the issues you encountered during your stay to my attention as it is only with customer feedback that we can improve the standards of service that we offer to our guests and I will introduce measures to ensure that the above are rectified.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Disappointing. The building itself and the courtyard are quite beautiful. The food was very good and staff nice, breakfast was really tasty. But there is a really bad sense of neglect to all of the public areas and our room was filthy - hair (someone else's) on the dresser, clumps of dust everywhere, a crunchy-feeling if you walk barefoot in the bedroom, and cobwebs in every corner of the room. The four-poster bed was not really a king-size, but was two mattresses pushed together. The bathroom had just been kind of skimmed clean, not really properly cleaned. Its not a question of being old (which is the charm of a castle hotel), but just neglect / bad housekeeping.

It was also REALLY noisy until 3am because of the wedding celebration - as in REALLY loud music - so if you are coming to a wedding, but don't want to be up until 3am, then consider a local B&B instead.

Overall, I would never stay in the hotel again based on my experience, but the problems could be fixed by some deep cleaning and a little TLC of the place. The building is very charming.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
      Sleep Quality
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank onthemove17
Dear onthemove 17
Thank you for choosing Kinnitty Castle Hotel and for your stay. I am sorry to see that your stay was not as enjoyable as it should have been. We try are best to offer good hospitality, food and accommodation but on this occasion we did not meet all the requirements for your stay. Some of our rooms have twin beds (these are 2 double beds attached in one 4 poster unit) this must have been the room that was allocated to you. Given the age of the building, rooms are deep cleaned on a regular basis so this must have been an oversight of our housekeepers. I am glad that you enjoyed the décor, surroundings, food and charm that we try to bring to our guests and I hope that if you return sometime in the future we will be able to offer you a more enjoyable and comfortable stay.

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinnitty
County Arms Hotel & Leisure Club
Tullamore Court Hotel
#2 of 3 in Tullamore
Bridge House Hotel, Spa and Leisure Club
Racket Hall Country House Hotel

Been to Kinnitty Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!