“Very Good, could've been Excellent”

Kinnitty Castle Hotel
San Diego, California, United States
“Very Good, could've been Excellent”
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Since my young days as a wee lad playing with Legos, I've always wanted to stay in a castle, or buy one, and Kinnitty mostly fulfilled the first goal...

PROS:
-€200 for the Dine and Dream package: 3 course dinner and 1 night stay for 2. The BEST value I found while shopping for a castle.
-The Slí Dala Restaurant's 3 course meal, €37.50pp normally, was great! Smoked fish cake appetizer, 10oz tender steak, and apple strudel was all delicious!
-Large room and bathroom.
-Excellent staff. No really, they were all great. Receptionist gave us the fastest directions back to the airport(90min drive). Barman was the best in Ireland. Waitress was the best in Ireland as well.
-Premises and public rooms were all awesome and fit the castle theme.
-Pints were about €4, Wine €5.50, and some whiskeys under €5...very reasonable and cheap compared to ordering a drink at an American hotel.
-Continental breakfast spread was fabulous with some nice cheeses and pastries. Sadly, we didn't have time to try the hot breakfast entrees as we had to leave early to catch our 12:30pm flight out of Dublin. (TIP1: We left 8:30am, got to the Avis rental car return at 10:00am, and after shuttle ride-checkin-security-VAT refund desk- US Customs... we only had about 20min to spare before boarding! Thank god for no traffic! TIP2: there are NO gas stations along the M50 return)

CONS:
-Dungeon Bar was closed that Friday night, so no final Irish musical night for us.
-Our room seemed wonderful at first, but upon closer inspection certain sections were very dusty and some cobwebs. I suppose this added to the atmosphere, but it was a bit too much.
-Bed mattress was mushy and needed to be replaced.
-Walls are thin...some middle-aged ladies next door were laughing loudly until about 1:00am. I almost complained. Almost.

CONCLUSION: Its an old, old, old 13th century castle...keep that in mind. We loved the vintage furniture and decor. All in all a good stay, but I just wished our room was tidier. It would be perfect if every 2-3 months housecleaning did an intensive dusting of all the hidden nooks, crannys, drapes, chandeliers, heating unit, etc. Kinnitty has so much potential...I'd love to come again after a deep cleanse and rennovations.

FUN FACT:
- This castle was once owned by the Ryan clan...my wife's great grandmother was a Ryan. We even found her family crest/cygil in one of the sitting rooms. If we win the Lotto someday(a big one), we'll return to purchase this castle to reclaim it, and give it the love it deserves.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank John P
kinnittymanagement, Manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear John P,

Thank you for your comments and providing us with a review of your recent stay at the Castle. It is only by receiving feedback that we can ensure that all guests receive the best possible experience.

We are pleased that you found the castle to be good value and that you enjoyed the food that you ordered in the Award Winning Slí Dala Restaurant. In relation to your kind words about the staff, we pride ourselves on the levels of service that we offer and deliver to all guests, these comments will be shared among the staff.

In relation to your comments regarding Housekeeping, due to the nature of the building this is something that we are focused on and requires constant attention and you should not have experienced what you mentioned. This will be discussed further with the relevant department heads.

We do hope that you will come and stay with us again the next time you are in Ireland.

Kind regards,
The Management Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 11, 2014

HI , had a two night break with an evening meal , from start to end the staff were very helpful , food was good , every thing you want in an old castle , atmosphere was great , good music both nights and a nice quiet comfortable room . love it . .will go back very soon . thankyou. .

Room Tip: rooms right at top of castle are quiet . .
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Ang M,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment about your recent stay at Kinnitty Castle Hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed a romantic break with us and were able to sample all that the Castle offers.

Your kind words will be passed on to all concerned.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Castle again.

Kind regards,
Perth, Australia
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I had a romantic night away booked with my girlfriend at this castle hotel and I must admit we were really looking forward to it. It was a little pricey but I figured it would be worth it, I was wrong.
It took a bit of time to find as there are no signs to direct you towards the hotel. When we arrived we were greeted with indifference and shown to our room which was not very well kept. Stains on the wall paper and duvet as well as cobwebs on the lamps, picture frames and in the corner of the ceiling.
I had also been led to believe that I had booked a state room with a four poster bed however when we got to the room we could see the bed consisted of an over sized metal head board and quite a small standard double bed which we checked for comfort and found it to be quite lumpy.
Upon asking for a different room we were informed that this was the best room they had available.
My partner and I decided to go to the bar and have a drink while deciding what to do. As my girlfriend went to see the manager on duty to have a lok at other rooms I went to order our drinks. I was left waiting at the bar for 10 minutes without anyone showing their face and finally when someone arrived it turned out my girlfriend had come across a number of staff chatting and laughing together and asked if one of them was the bar person and could they go and serve me.
The barmaid then got my order of just two drinks wrong giving me budweiser instead of heineken and served my girlfriends drink in a chipped glass which I had to ask her to replace.
I know this is a series of seemingly minor things but believe me when I say that they completely dulled our mood and when I mentioned a possible partial refund I was told that hotel policy was to take the full amount no matter what the circumstance.
We did not stay there obviously, we just jumped back in the car and went home.
The cusatomer service was disgraceful and the accomodation no where near the price charged.
To not even offer a token refund is very poor form and after being told that the hotel manager would be in touch with me I received no correspondence whatsoever.
I know this hotel has a decent rating which is why I booked it but it turned out to be the most disappointing hotel experience I have had in a very long time.

Regards

Pat

Room Tip: Steer clear of this hotel until they get new management and clean the place up a little. In need of...
8 Thank Pat Q
kinnittymanagement, Manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear Pat,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review from your recent visit to Kinnitty Castle Hotel, we value all comments and take them on board and strive to make improvements for future guests.

We value all our customers and we are extremely focused on the level of service that our staff deliver; there is no excuse for the level of service that you mentioned at the Hotel Bar and this will be addressed with those concerned.

In relation to your other comments, we are disappointed that you thought the bed was small in your room; each guest room in the Hotel is completely unique with different size beds and different styles. When speaking to the Manager on duty, you were offered a room change as you thought the bed was to small which you declined, you stated that the Hotel was simply not to your taste, at this point you were informed of the 24hour cancellation policy of the Hotel and that someone would follow up with you directly, you have been contacted on numerous occasions via telephone to discuss your time at the Hotel but we have been unable to speak with you.

You were not charged for your time at the Castle; if you wish to discuss this further please contact the Hotel. We do hope that you may re consider your views and if you would like to come again please contact us directly.

Kind Regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 23, 2014

Myself and my husband stayed here for one night on a Deal rush voucher and were absolutely delighted with the accomodation, the staff and service we received. Our voucher included afternoon tea which we had when we arrived on the Friday evening and it was served in the library bar by the very obliging bar man. It consisted of a lovely selection of savoury treats, cakes and scones and filled us up so much we couldn't manage dinner that night! We were lucky enough to be given the O'Carroll suite as our accomodation and it was absolutely gorgeous - our whole house would have fit into the room. The bathroom was great with a lovely roll top free standing bath with lovely view out over the grounds of the castle. Overall the atmosphere of the castle is authentically old and charming and while certain areas may need a little attention it's all part of the experience of staying in a building of this age. Their are nice walks all around the castle we went up through the forest on our stay and enjoyed the fresh air and scenery. The only disappointment was that the dungeon bar wasn't open on the evening we stayed as we would have loved to have had a drink in it. I am already looking forward to coming back and staying again.

1 Thank Ai0
kinnittymanagement, Manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Dear Ai0,

Thank you for your review of Kinnitty Caste Hotel, I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay and that you thought your deal was value for money. We take pride in providing our customers with comfortable accommodation, warm service and good food.
I hope you will return to us in the future.
Munster
Reviewed April 20, 2014

My husband and I visited Kinnitty castle for one night B&B incl dinner,which was great value. The food was excellent and we really enjoyed the experience, the castle has great character. However the hotel was very dirty, our room was perfect except for the layers of dust everywhere! I understand the castle is old but i dont think this is an excuse not to vacuum the bedrooms. We couldnt walk around the bedroom without shoes on, the floor had visable dirt on the surface. Overall we had an enjoyable experience but unfortunately the lack of cleaniness really did let this hotel down.

2 Thank JakeCon
Dear JakeCon
Thank you for your comments and providing us with a review of Kinnitty Castle Hotel, it is only with this type of critique that we can improve on the services that we provide in order to give our customers the ultimate Castle Experience. I was happy to read that you enjoyed the period of the building and our food and service as these are things we do take pride in at try our best to perfect are skills in these areas.
In relation to your comments regarding the cleanliness of the interior of the Castle, with the building being so old it is a constant concern of ours to be able to keep on top of the maintenance and housekeeping, your comments have been taken on board and I will pass them on to the relevant departments in order to ensure that these areas are kept to the highest of standards in order to offer our guests a comfortable stay in the future.

Once again, thank you for your review.
South East England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Anticipation builds as you approach this magnificent building set in beautiful grounds. It really does look 'the part'... The welcome we experienced was somewhat indifferent from front desk - not what you would expect. The bar area could be wonderful; certainly lots of character in terms of decor, furnishings etc but the lighting is sub-optimal and casts a very subdued atmosphere ! On entering the dining room we really could have done with being issued with 'blankets' !!! It was uncomfortably chilly and when this was brought to the attention of the Waitress she looked surprised ! Little could be done seemingly... This coldness permeated the proceedings thereafter ! All that said, the food was fantastic - tasty, creative, some of the best fillet steaks ever... And the service from the Waitress was friendly and efficient. Reasonably good value at £43 a head. Get the environment sorted and this could be a place we would return to....

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank nauj63
Dear nauj63
Thank you for your review of Kinnitty Castle Hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the most of your experience and the furnishing and décor were in keeping with the period of the building, I am also glad that you particularly enjoyed the food that we offer as we take great pride in good food and the standard of service in which it is provided. Your comments in relation to the temperature of the public areas and the lighting have been taken on board and these are things that we are currently working on to improve going forward.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night with my boyfriend as a treat before he left for Canada. Our package included a bottle of prosecco and chocolates on arrival. A 3 course meal in the Sli Dala restaurant. It was beautiful. The meal and the restaurant. Dessert wasn't great. I had the chocolate brownie which was rock hard and when I tried to slide my fork into it it broke off and landed on my lap. My lovely dress now had chocolate all over it. Other than that the meal was beautiful. Beef cooked to perfection. My boyfriend had the chicken it was do tender. We then went to library bar for drinks. We had 3 rounds of drinks and the lovely barman gave us the third round free. The barman was also our waiter and couldn't do enough for us. Very friendly and welcoming as was the receptionist. Our room was huge. The free standing bath was amazing and lovely hot water. I was afraid because it's an old building it would be cold and drafty but it was so warm almost too warm. Beautiful surroundings all around the castle. We explored the castle the next morning before breakfast. It's really fun to do this. The courtyard and O' Carroll hall are amazing as is the dungeon bar. Friendly waitress for breakfast and it was lovely. Big fry made to order and also fresh bread, croissants, yoghurt and cereals also. I suppose it is a little pricey but it's a treat and not something you would book every weekend. Overall we really enjoyed it. Simon was the barman s name. Can't think of the receptionist name but they were both attentive and friendly.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
kinnittymanagement, Manager at Kinnitty Castle Hotel, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Dear divaniamh
Thank you for your review of Kinnitty Castle Hotel, I am glad to read that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for your comments in relation to the standard of service, accommodation and food you received throughout your stay. I do apologise for the disappointment you experienced during your dessert but was happy to further read that our Duty Manager Simon rectified this for you.
Warmest Regards
Cavan Dunne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinnitty
Roundwood House
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,777 reviews
Central Hotel Tullamore
Central Hotel Tullamore
#3 of 3 in Tullamore

Been to Kinnitty Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!