Jinshanling is a great part of the Great Wall which you can enjoy with very few up to no other tourists. You get to see original parts of the wall as well as restored sections within a beautiful scenery. There are some options how to get there. This post is about how you can take the weekend tourist bus. Generally on weekends and holidays you find more people everywhere than during weekdays. That's the same for the Jinshanling section, that is the catch for taking the comfortable tourist bus way, but the number is still very low. And as you get away a kilometer from the cablecar access you will usually find yourself alone on the wall.
The tourist bus operates on weekends and statutory holidays during the peak season (April 3rd to November 1st)
1. Take the metro to Dongzhimen bus terminus in Beijing
2. Ignore the signs that point to the bus terminal and go towards Exit B (take the right Exit)
3. Walk towards the east (early morning this is where the sun is :) ), but you can also walk having the main road on your right side.
4. After very short walk pass the bus terminal on the left.
5. You will come to an intersection, where you have to turn left.
6. Walk for about 5-10 minutes, pass many buses and you will see an outdoor bus terminal (Great Wall Terminal) on the left side
7. The first counter on the left, once you enter the driveway, sells Jinshanling Tickets which have a golden souvenir coin (120 CNY in September 2012). It includes round-trip bus ticket, admission fee, cable way, and the tourist car at the scenic spot.
Adress: 东直门外斜街 45号 (45 Donghimen Wai Xie Jie). If you get lost show this to the local people, they point you to the right direction. Ask multiple times and different people, sometimes they do not know the way and point the wrong direction.
The bus leaves Beijing at 8am (somtimes a little earlier). There might be only one bus a day. When I was there they had another one stand by in case the first one was full.
Leaves the Great Wall at 3pm, maybe a little earlier, so be there, it will leave on time & without you.
Enjoy your trip!
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.