“Back Every Year”
Review of Sherkston Shores

and 1 more site!
Sherkston Shores
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My family and I have been going to Sherkston for the past 4 years for the Labour Day long weekend and have loved it every time.

Every rental we have stayed in has been clean. Don't go expecting a 5 star hotel, after all they are trailer homes you are staying in. If you are like us most of the time you will be outside anyways so as long as they are clean you won't need much.

I do wish that they could have dvd players in every rental, for those rainy days. Sherkston should consider allowing people to pick the specific cabin they want to stay as we have found some of them are not as well equipped as others.

There are some issues with people driving golf carts while intoxicated but other than that we have not experienced any other problems.

Last year we stayed at the Community of the Dunes, near Elco Beach and loved it... we are going back this year to the same place. We did visit Wildwood Beach as well but found it to be very busy, with loud music, lots of car and loud music, which I believe was made by people who own homes in that area, so not the best beach to be with little kids.

The kids enjoy the pools and all the activities that are available in the Funplex. I also find the activities are reasonably priced (other than the arcade who I find a bit expensive, I rather take the kids to Chuck E Cheese).

Their fireworks display was amazing, the kids look forward to it every year.

In all, it is a great place to spend one last weekend with the family and relax before the school year begins.

Room Tip: Ask for a rental near Elco Beach, it is not as busy as Wildewood and much quieter during the day. R...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mommyram

Reviewed August 14, 2013

We just got back from our first stay at Sherkston Shores. I would have given this a 3.5 if .5 stars were allowed, so the resort is getting the benefit of that :)

We paid a premium to upgrade to a 1 - 4 year old trailer and it was new and clean inside, and a great location right between the common areas and the beach.

We were attracted to the resort because it gave us a little of everything - pool, waterslides, mini-golf, beach. We used all the facilities.

In general, the common areas are clean but dated. We did not eat on site except for Pizza Pizza (the worst I've ever had, have to say) so I can't comment on the food. There are good family activities around the dinner hour we participated in which were fun but could probably be varied a bit more so you're not doing the same thing every night.

The beach is great Monday to Friday. Agree with every reviewer here who has said it's unacceptable on weekends. We got out early, set up our spot, and a few hours in, trucks pulled in beside us with exceptionally loud, inappropriate music. And by inappropriate I don't mean groups with long hair and weird fashion. I mean music with enough swear words and descriptions of sexual acts that even my 5 year old picked up on. This happens all day Saturday and Sunday. You can go to a part of the beach that is no vehicle access, it just fills up quickly.

Weekends also mean lots of driving back and forth throughout the resource with blaring music and pot smoking. NO clue where security or staff were for 48 hours.

On a related note ... beware the 10 pm - 2 am hours. Our trailer was close to the main road so we got a chance to hear teenagers out all night. Not 2 or 3 walking and talking. Groups of 5,6,7,8. Again, no security to speak of.

Would I go again? Yes, because the kids enjoyed it and it felt safe during the day. I would use my experience to pick better trailer locations, and find a way to avoid the beach on the weekend.

Room Tip: If you're renting a trailer, stay away from main throughways to avoid noise at night and weekend...
2  Thank ivana1
Reviewed August 6, 2013

SHERKSTONS:

Wonderful family concept all around, BUT big changes are necessary. I understand that Sherkstons is coming into new ownership. I really hope they are savvy enough to return Sherkstons to its original state as a good wholesome 'family' resort, and what we remember first time there about ten years ago. Trusting this feedback will assist in some of the improvements that need to be made.

Clean up the beach...the beach not only looked bad with the dark green algae along the shore, but it smelled bad too. We saw big dump trucks hauling dirty sand away from the beach. I understand that allowing outsiders in on weekends lines the pockets nicely, but we spoke to several owners of the permanent trailer homes and not one of them were happy with the situation on the weekends. You could not view the water/beach for cars & trucks parked one on top of the other. I can’t imagine how people can enjoy themselves in that situation unless they are totally intoxicated...which most of the weekend traffic appears to be. It is not a ‘family’ situation on weekends, but an all-out drunken charade. Is it not supposed to be a resort...a family resort...then only resort residents and reservation camping guests should be allowed to use the beach. We also noted a lot of the employees were disgusted at the goings on, and what they had to deal with.

There should be no cars/trucks or pets allowed on beach...separate parking....separate pet beach...”scoop the poop” (saw dogs peeing on beach at quarry in front of owners, & found lots of poop in sand.) Pets on leash if not in pet area. I have had dogs of my own and would not want or allow them to do their business on a public beach where little children sit and play in the sand and people picnic. As well, enlarge the pet area.

Campsites/vacation homes should be cleaned between reservations. The campsite next to us was left with fire pit full to the brim with ashes and wood chips covering the grass area...the next family that came in had to clean that all up. One year our family/friends rented two vacation homes, and had to do a clean-up before we were comfortable enough to settle in. As well, entertainment facilities need a little more effort in their cleanliness. It is a 'resort' after all and I believe cleanliness is expected.

Garbage dump in the camping area does have posters regarding recycling, but the separate bins are not identified and most people don’t care to peek into the bins to see what goes where. It also might be a good idea to post signs in various places that the resort respects the ‘ideal’ of cleanliness, and expects its residents and guests to do likewise. Waste bins should be situated all around resort especially on/around beach areas, as well as activities area. They could be fun bins where children & adults would like to throw their cups, napkins etc into as they pass by.

Renting/camping guests should have a pass card or separate entrance and be able to bypass the lineup of new arrivals at the entrance. We left the park on a couple of occasions to do some shopping and sightseeing and each time we had to wait in a long line-up, one that was over half an hour, to get back into the resort.

Golf carts...are a wonderful way to get around the large resort complex, but golf cart rules and restrictions need to be strictly enforced...too many under-aged people horsing around with golf carts, as well as a good number of adults using the transportation irresponsibly. We happened to be there when a young boy was apparently ‘standing’ on the back of a golf cart and fell off and found out he required brain surgery. This type of occurrence may be prevented with tightened security.
Security...wondered how many patrols were out...perhaps they should have specific areas identified for patrolling rather than riding security all over the park. Having them stop to have short friendly conversations with guest on occasions will heighten the awareness that they are ‘watching’, but are there for everyone’s safe and fun vacation.

That makes me wonder about the weekend beach partying...they drive in...they must drive out , and I don’t believe many of them drive out sober...where are the police to do checks outside of the resort as these people head for home using our highways?

We have been to Sherkstons with family and friends on three occasions over the past ten years, and had looked forward to the fun vacation and memory making that Sherkstons is supposed to be known for. We did make the best of our ten day stay...but it could have been so much better. We do not plan on returning any time soon. We also noted many vacancies in the permanent resident areas of the resort compared to the last time we were there. As for encouraging others to visit, we will tell them what we have seen.

Good luck to the new owners...you have some work ahead of you!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank b r
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We had read the reviews before coming to this "campground". All I can say is that I would caution people to not read too much into the bad reviews. Our read on this was that people don't know what they are booking. If you book a tent site at Sherkston Shores thinking it will be a provincial park-like setting then shame on you. We knew it was "resort" style camping, we knew there would be golf carts and lots of people. That being said, Sherkston Shores provided fun for the entire family and we were pleasantly surprised with the services, facilities and staff.
The site we had was huge. Although we had a premium waterfront site, it seemed that all the RV sites were a good size. This made us very happy. We had a site on the quarry view side. It gave us prime "seating" for the fireworks on Saturday night, which I must say were spectacular.
When in Rome do as the Romans... We decided to rent a golf cart. We felt it would be more convenient for moving from the site to the beaches, store, pool etc. It was a good choice and we didn't have to worry about sand in the truck, parking etc. Money well spent and allowed us to make better use of the facilities.
I've seen many negative comments about the beach. We did not agree with any of it. Yes busy but it was beautiful, well-kept and "raked" (sorry don't know the proper terminology) every day. We made many trips to the beach, sometimes just to take a drive, check out the people and take in the beautiful scenery. There are also sections of beach that do not allow for cars and trucks. This was where we enjoyed the beach and had no difficulty finding a spot to spend the afternoon.
We also spent a great deal of time at the "little beach" as our son would call it. The quarry beach was also clean, had great swimming and a lifeguard on duty. We really liked this beach, less wind (all the better to make sand castles with), very clean and close to the camping sites.
We made full use of the pools, splash pad, hot tubs, waterslides etc. These areas were well kept, the staff were helpful and always friendly. The waterslides were awesome and the lines short, 5-10 minute wait at the very most. We stayed July 19-26, 2013 so it was prime time.
The resort has an arcade area that we also frequented for something to do. It has a variety of games with prices ranging from 25 cents and up. This is a nice option for families. I have been to many places where each game is $2. It may not be some peoples "cup of tea" to have an arcade at a "campground" but again I think this is about matching the client expectation with the "type" of camping. We felt it gave us yet another option for the week and our son had a great time. One of the staff even told him which games had better chances for winning more tickets, which made him very happy.
The programs run in the live lounge were awesome. The staff were enthusiastic and engaging. They even took the time to have pictures taken with younger kids. We didn't take part in many of the programs but we did go to the glow stick dance party and watched a few others. At the dance party the kids were thrilled with the lighting and "night club" sound system. There had to be 100 kids all busting a move on the dance floor. We camp all the time, and I have never seen such enthusiasm/participation at a "campground" event. Parents were dancing and enjoying the time with their children thoroughly. Even our 10 year old (only child) was up busting a move and said it was the best party he had been to in his "entire life." :)
The mini putt is free, again a nice family activity. There is usually a fee to play at other campgrounds. Our son decided he wanted to take the archery lesson. It cost us $6. He received a half hour 1:1 lesson with a very pleasant instructor. He loved it. I have seen others complain about this but really... What do you expect for $6? We thought it was great and our son was pretty impressed with himself.
Re: SAFETY. Would we allow our 10 year old to ride his bike to the store on his own? NO... but then again we wouldn't at any other similar resort style campground. Did we have anything stolen? No... but we always put away anything we would be worried about. Did we observe any rudeness, inappropriateness or anything disturbing? No, not from staff, teenagers or anyone. Regarding the speed at which people drive golf carts, there are speed bumps everywhere. I know some people aren't as safe as others but I really think it is the parents responsibility to be with their kids. We had no issues. What I did find disturbing was parents with little ones (on trikes) allowing them out on the roads after dark. They were sitting at their campfire then would yell when a car drove by too quickly. Really??? A 4 year old on the road at 10:00 at night? The visibility in a campground isn't great at the best of times... it's not like there are sidewalks.
Other points:
-The store is well stocked. You can get almost anything. Fruit, veggies etc. Yes a little more expensive than your typical grocery store but no more expensive than other camp stores we go to.
-Fishing - We enjoyed fishing at the quarry. Again, the water was clean and we could fish right from our site.
-No smells - I know this might sound ridiculous but we have camped at many campgrounds where we would smell sewer intermittently. We smelled nothing all week.
-Line up getting into the campground - We did not observe this being a problem. We came and went a few times and never had to wait.
-Location - We found the location fantastic. We went to Safari Niagara (10 minutes away), Niagara Falls (half hour) and even took in a night at the Humberstone Speedway (10 minutes).
-Cynthia- Have noted one comment on here about Cynthia the manager (I believe). I just wanted to say that we did have one concern prior to arrival. I was asked to speak with Cynthia. She was kind, respectful and cleared up without hesitation. She said she would call back with her resolution and she did within 15 minutes.

Anyways, I really just wanted to say we had a great time. We know that it was fairly expensive in terms of "camping" but this was much more than a regular campground. We also consider ourselves lucky to have the trailer and therefore can cook our own meals etc. We spent very little money for the entire week, and therefore feel that we got good value for what we were able to do with our son. I asked him to give me one word for this review and he said "Awesome.... No wait.... Mind-blowing!" I think this says it all...

Take the reviews at face value and really think about what it is you are looking for... We had a great time and thank the staff of Sherkston Shores for making our vacation an enjoyable one.

12  Thank ChristineS254
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was by far the worst camping/vacation experience ever for our family. I have been camping all over the U.S. and Canada and I would never recommend this place to anyone. It is not safe, especially for young children. The resort is full of golf carts being operated by teenagers who are sometimes drunk, blasting music, and driving at excessive speeds even through the night. One day we noticed the police were at the park and had taped off a section of the park and a witness told us there was an accident where a teen feel off the back of a golf cart and needed to be rushed to the hospital with a serious injury apparently. You can't even go for a walk without fear of being run over by a golf cart or car. Rules are not enforced at all even though there are numerous security vehicles roaming about. The beach is open to the public where they park right on the beach and launch their boats and anchor near shore. I thought I was paying for a private resort experience??? The lake is polluted with algae and the stench was terrible most days. The pools in the resort are crowded and not kept clean nor are the rest of the facilities. Even though you're paying for the resort experience you can't use the fitness facility and have to pay extra for many other things? There is also a line up to get back into the resort on the weekends and you could wait up to 20 minutes to get back in? When we asked why we had to wait in a line up as we were guests at the resort we were told "if people would stop talking at the gate things would go a lot faster." We paid for a premium campsite and although it was nice we may as well have been parked on the side of a highway with all of the traffic going back and forth. I brought my teenage daughter on this trip and was afraid to let her walk in the resort alone because I felt it was not safe on so many levels. This resort has so much potential as the concept is good but it needs to be cleaned up in every way! I was very upset that I wasted valuable vacation time and money on this place!

Room Tip: Stay away if you're looking for a nice relaxing family vacation!
4  Thank gjmartin01
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We've been going to Sherkston Shores - and loved it for the better part of 10 years. To be honest, I've considered purchasing there. However, the serious "yahoo" mentality that has taken over in the past 2 summers. This weekend was the last straw. We simply cannot have our kids around a lot of the stuff that's going on at Sherkston. Public areas are frequently filthy, under-age drinking is out in the open, and people on the beach are operating motorcraft drunk. As well, every square footage of beach is now a personal boat launch & parking area so that if you just walk down to the beach to swim, you can't even see the water over the vehicles and your kids are going to be covered in gasoline just playing in the shallow area. Is this how to run a family park?
Quite frankly, it's time the police or someone else intervened before there's a serious incident. Management: get control of your property before something happens there that shuts you down!

6  Thank TorontoTrace
Reviewed July 19, 2013

Brought the grandkids here for a week in our motorhome. Lots to do. Not as expensive as I would have thought for the type of resort. Only thing that would make it better is cable tv. It is a bit of a party park but just adds to the fun.

1  Thank donm1957

Been to Sherkston Shores? Share your experiences!