“A restaurant, not a fish and chip shop”

The Shed Fish & Chip Bistro
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Porthgain
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Fish & Chips. Local Seafood. Small Harbourside Fish Bistro - serving A La Carte menu and Fish & Chips menu. Our Own Caught Crab & lobster often available. Fresh Coffee, Tea & Homemade Cakes. Children welcome. Informal & relaxed. Local Staff.
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I've eaten in the Shed on a number of occasions, and have always found it to be fantastic. The seafood is fresh – it sometimes feels like it's just jumped out of the harbour and on to your plate. The setting is lovely, snuggled down by the sea in a typical fishing village. And the service is smiley and attentive. What it isn't though, is a traditional fish and chip shop, and anyone who expects it to be will be disappointed.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,287)

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We drove down 13 miles from Fishguard on a Sunday because their restaurants were closed---glad we did. The Shed was very busy but we received very good service and great fish & chips. The portions were quite large so we had no room for desserts.

Reviewed August 5, 2013

My family and I were recommended the Shed whilst on holiday as the 'nearest' fish and chip shop. We drove down to Porthgain and were shocked by the price tag, but ordered anyway as it was getting late.
When confronted with the bill, it was even higher than I'd read on the menu outside, so I challenged this and was told that I was sitting on the picnic bench, so this was £2 extra per person. I then quickly asked for this to takeaway, and although they obliged, the lady was a little 'snotty' about it, as if I had a cheek to challenge over £27 for takeaway Fish and chips twice, bread, a portion of peas, and a child's fish and chips. She still over charged me, and when I challenged this she claimed I'd actually been charged less and suggested I be quiet and go. I worked it out based on the prices outside, and I was correct. I couldn't be bothered with yet more hassle, so took our meals and went. The chips were excellent, fish thin and still had skin on, and the peas tasted like tinned at best.

7  Thank 707Restaurantreview
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We had lunch here and the best option is the fish and chips. I chose a fish and shellfish soup which was a terrible let down. There was no shellfish and the soup itself was a thick set of cream with some added colour.

6  Thank BunnyFromLondon
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Set in a quiet harbour village. The Shed provides high quality fresh fish, prepared to order to all individual requirements. Such as wheat intolerance, although batter was not one of them! Prompt and friendly service, seating could be more comfortable!