“Excellent food and service”

Gielty's Clew Bay Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Dooagh
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 15, 2014 via mobile

We had 2 evening meals in Gieltys and both were excellent quality and portion size. A perfect place for food on Achill island.

There are newer reviews for Gielty's Clew Bay Bar & Restaurant

Reviewed July 5, 2014

We've just returned home for a weeks stay in Achill Island. Luckily enough we spotted this little gem. Everything was top class, tasty and well presented. We ate here 3 evenings over the week. The only quam I have is the difference between meals, and portion size on Friday 4th of July compared to Thursday 3rd of July. Thursdays chef was streets ahead of the chef on the Friday night. I can only assume they were different chefs on the food that was served. I had the fish pie both nights which was delicious, couldn't finish what I had. Friday nights portions were a bit of a let down. I got a tiny little salad and even the fish pie hadn't the same amount of fish..I had my salad eaten in 3 mouthfuls max and had to order chips. Our 3 kids had mash, gravy and chicken and licked the plates...Friday evening was a different story.. the chicken had all the bones in it and one scoup of potatoes each.... to which we had to order more. I'm not nit picking on things, but moreso to bring it to the proprietors attention. One sub standard meal would put me off returning to any restaurant. I think you'll need to get Friday nights chef to get some training from Thursday nights chef. All in all it's like your own local. Busy spot with very friendly efficient staff, be sure to call in for a pint.

2  Thank dustys-trail
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Very comfortable pub & cafė on the Western fringe of Dooagh. Excellent selection of fresh local food & drink prepared to very high standards. Food can be served outside in good weather. Lovely staff, generous portions & great value. There is regular entertainment satellite tv here also.

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Stopped off at Gieltys after a scenic drive to Ceem beach in Achill for some dinner. 3 children were starving. Lovely, enthusiastic waiting staff took our orders quickly and children's food arrived first and without delay which mean't adults could throughly enjoy their dinners of steak (delicious) and a fabulously tasty Thai green curry. Portions are generous but if you have room, try the desserts.... Chocolate fudge cake is wonderful! New menus had just been introduced and was very impressed with selection... Good value, focus on good ingredients and some nice twists on old favourites.
We will definitely be calling again--Miriam, Dublin

Reviewed June 13, 2014

Spent a few days in Achill recently, and a local recommended here. I got an amazing seafood chowder, and my fiance ordered a fresh salad. The steak main was great too, it had a brilliant pepper sauce.
The staff were excellent and friendly, with some free fruit given to the kids at the next table.
Will definitely be returning here next time I'm in Achill.