“Wonderful find!”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 16, 2013

We arrived around 7pm for dinner and were treated with live music as it was a local music school festival. We ordered fish and chips and one of my daughters ordered pasta. The fish and chips was tasty, and the mushy peas were a favorite. I substituted mash for the chips with no problems. The surprise was the dessert. I could not believe how good the chocolate cake my daughter and I shared was. It was crumbly rather than fine, and very moist. I wish I had the recipe! Wow! The restaurant offers free shuttle service from your lodgings. The shuttle service was quite busy due to the music festival. Instead of making us wait I until 10pm (it was 8:40 when we were ready to go), the owner had one of his bar staff drive us the 15k back to our lodging. Impressive service! And excellent food and atmosphere. Our favorite place in all of Achill.

1  Thank JallyGal

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Friendly staff and lovely food.. all fresh and perfectly presented, the owner Alan was very kind to my wheelchair travelling companion.. Nothing was a problem.

2  Thank Sandra C
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I'd like to say that while on a short break to beautiful Achill Island, we dropped into Gielty's for lunch, it was only scrumptious, every thing was perfect, the staff were all very friendly and very neatly dressed in their pink shirts, all spotless. the fresh fish was just after being caught that day and was superb. THEN to my travelling comrades delight, Manchester United's Darren Fletcher was there, his mam is a Achill lady and a 1st cousin of Alan Gielty. He came over to join us and he couldn't have been nicer, he stood in for photos and chatted away for ages with us.. A lovely experience all round and we will definitely be making a return journey. Thanks Alan. The girls have the card tricks you showed them perfected......... Sandra

Reviewed August 2, 2013

Visited with some friends in early July. Had a nice dinner, it was decent pub grub with good portions, not haute cuisine but we didn't expect that! A nice mix of locals and holiday makers in the bar. Finally we were particularly impressed by Alan's 'you drink we drive' bus service!

2  Thank bikingbirder
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Scampi was from frozen, commercial style fried fish. The salmon fish cake (starter) was yummy and came with a small salad that was fresh.

4  Thank janie99