“Big disappointment since last time!”
Review of Taverna Mandragola

Taverna Mandragola
Ranked #10 of 18 Restaurants in Cervo
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed July 31, 2019

After an anding experience 2 years ago, I decided to go back with 8 friends, but what a disappointment :-( They were expensive and seem to be even more than before. The quality price doesn't reflect such a steep price for the reasons:
- The sauce aigre-douce on the fish was definitely something from a bottle from the Chinese store. I can do that at home too in that case!!!
- The beef tartare was the worst tartare I have ever had. I understand that it's not made like a French or British tartar with the egg yolk and the condiments, but rather like the "Battuta al coltello di fassone piemontese" but still...it was disgusting really! I love battuta but this was just plain meat with very little oil on it and zero spices or anything to bring flavour.
- The Capon macro was OK but I had way better and for less than 18 euros! It was made in a big dish and then cut into pieces. A good restaurant would make it more like a nice tower and specially for this price!
- When someone orders a starter with Zucchini trombette, you should tell them that the main course they ordered also comes with Zucchini trombette, specially when it doesn't say what the side dish is with the main course on the menu. What a lack of professionalism!!!
- Service was...just friendly. A smile doesn't cost much!
It went from 5* to barely 3* for me! What a shame :-(

Date of visit: June 2019
Write a reviewReviews (299)

Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

One of the best fish restaurants we've ever experienced. We've been going for years and Guido never puts a foot wrong!

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed November 2, 2017

Recommended by our host but we soon regretted the choice of restaurant. We ordered 2 pizza for my girls. They were frozen and impossible to cut because the dough was like cardboard. Such a disappointment, especially for pizza in Italy. I ordered 8 grilled prawns (35 euros). The first time they arrived at the table (smelling like a septic tank, no joke) they were raw. Sent them back, came back smelling even worse, and charred. Couldn't eat more than 1. The small side salad was salad out of a bag, disgusting, but cost us 5 euros regardless. 2 frozen pizzas, 8 inedible shrimps, a small side salad, 2 fantas and a demi-liter of white wine for a TOTAL of 75 Euros. SCANDALOUS and a very bad first night on holiday. We have, literally, never had such a horrible meal in our lives.

Date of visit: October 2017
1  Thank ninawojo
Reviewed August 31, 2017 via mobile

By far the best food I have had after living in Liguria for a year and a half!!!
Yes, it is more expensive than any other restaurant I have been to but the cuisine is by far superior and there much for finesse to the preparation of the dishes.
I was with a friend and we shared three dishes: potatoes and octopus with olives, brandacujun, and gnocchi with sepia ink Livornese style. One bottle of water and a half a liter white wine: 35€ /person.
The terrace was not exceptionally the most amazing setting but still way better than the indoor restaurant...hideous!!!! I would never eat inside!!!! What a lack of taste they have!!!! All in lilac color and very poor décor.
You go there for the food for sure anyway! I prefer to pay a little more and have an excellent meal rather than go twice to a cheap eatery and have average food.
I give it a 5* for the food only!

Date of visit: August 2017
Reviewed June 3, 2017

The best aspect is the hamlet, the restaurant is inside one of the Baroque palazzos and has a few tables outside in the alley. Traditional Ligurian fare, with fresh fish, pasta and vegetables. Rather slow service and definitely higher-than-average prices. For aficionados.

Date of visit: June 2017