“Full grades for wonderful welcoming and location”

Beach View Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 4 Allihies B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I booked in Irene's b&b just 2 weeks before our arrival, by simply confirming via e-mail. This was enough to secure the room, no credit card detailes to be given: aspect that made me think about the trusty atmosphere I would 'breathe' there. When we arrived, Irene welcomed us with the greatest kindness ever. She helped us with the bike rental (she phoned the bike rental in Castletownbere on a bank holiday to book our bikes and have them delivered directly to her house. The room was beautiful, the breakfast tasty and genuinely "Irish", with good home-made jam and farm products, and the location was simply amazing. We spent two wonderful nights, we will come back for sure. Moreover, I forgot some of my things on a shelf, and Irene was so nice to post them to me, with no charge (by the way, do not forget yours :-). Very good price (30 euro per person) as well. Briefly, I strongly recommend that place.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

I agree with the previous excellent reviews about this B&B. It really is exceptional. Irene is a great host and the breakfast rather then being the traditional B&B fry is a spread of cereals, yoghurt, fresh fruit, berries and nuts, deicious bread and salmon and you can have any variety of cooked breakfast too. Just the thing for a long day walking. It is the perfect blend of a B&B but with your own space and the rooms are realy comfortable with tea, coffee and complimentary chocolate bars.
From the moment we arrived we were welcomed and felt at home, in fact we only intended staying two nights but ended up staying for 6. Since there are no buses beyond Castletownbere it can be difficult to get around the Beara Penninsula on foot however Irene kindly offers to drop your luggage ahead at your next B&B if you are doing the Beara way, or alternatively after a long walk to Dursey she came and picked us up for a much shorter drive back to Allihies. Irene also provides a bike hire service, the only one in the area.
If you are going to Beara this is without doubt the place to stay. Best B&B I've stayed in anywhere by a long way.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

From the welcome, to the room, the breakfast and the offer of a sandwich to take on our daily travels, Irene's hospitality is unparalleled. The outlook from this B & B has to be seen to be believed. Our three days staying with Irene were better than any of the numerous B & Bs we have been to and the value for money is exceptional. A first choice for anyone looking to stop in Allihies.
Great view of a beautiful sunset.

1  Thank dixonb24
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had an exceptional 5 day booking at the Beach View attending while attending a retreat at Dzogchen Beara. I had such a wonderful experience, I didn't want to leave when it came time to participate in the retreat. The only difference between summers and winters in Ireland is MAYBE a warmer rain. Allihies remained cold for us Americans expectations. Irene brought me in my own electric heater and I was toasty every night! Her breakfasts were made specifically as you request. Her hospitality and support was just delightful. She was warm, delightful and fun to be with! she was like a sister to me! I loved the ability to walk into town yet the privacy of not being directly in the village. My room had a private bath and both were spotlessly clean. She provided exceptional service and was very knowledgeable about the area and surrounding towns in the Beara peninsula. I traveled about to different towns and had wonderful adventures. O'Neill's Pub was a great local restaurant in Allihies. I had a fabulous carrot/turnip soup and great mussels and salmon dinner. Mr. O'Neil graciously allowed us to host a Fourth of July party for several retreat ants celebrating their birthday at the pub. The folk music on Wednesdays and Sunday nights was a classic like being in Doolin. I could walk back and forth from town with ease. Irene leaves these candies in your room called WACOs! I love them and she sent me out with a whole package of them! I didn't want to leave...and she provided gracious support while I made the transition to my next accommodation. I even came every other day to stop in and she her smile! She had great information about surrounding shops and the merchant Beara Peninsula map highlighting the artists throughout the Peninsula. Look for the Fish sign along the road! JoAnn and Annie re creative artists....Allihies is filled with artists that aren't even advertising.....and the food at the Coppersmine Museum was the BEST lobster/fish chowder I have ever had! Make sure you have euros for the village has no ATM machine. its a remote and simple village.....you will feel like you are the luckiest to have found the secret!

Irene, I'm coming back every year just like Coby!!!!

Room Tip: I loved having my own private bathroom.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank amdfun
Reviewed July 18, 2013

When I booked our room, I asked Irene if the b and b was on the highway. (We had a very noisy experience at a previous b and b right on the road.) Well, when we arrived not only was it off the highway, it was so quiet and peaceful. We laughed about that and instantly I knew we were in a terrific place. Irene makes this place a home - from the welcoming fire in the sitting room, complete with books to trade and take to the candies on the table to the incredible view of the ocean right out the front. The room we got wasn't facing the ocean but I felt instantly comfortable with the bright decor. Irene offered the dryer in case it rained and we got wet as well as the milk in the fridge for coffee/tea if we wanted. She advised us to go to dinner asap as it was Sun night and the pub gets crowded fast. The bed was comfortable, internet connection great, breakfast wonderful the next day. I loved the instant coffee and usually I'm picky about that sort of thing. The jam she served was the best in our entire trip. I want to come back and stay more than one night to explore the area. This is a gem of a place and a gem of a hostess!

Room Tip: Any room would be good in this b and b
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We had such a lovely stay with Irene in the Beach View B&B. After a spectacular drive there, we asked in the village of Allihies and everyone knew Irene. She welcomed us so warmly and there were so many little touches and comforts - great view of the sea from our room, chocolate bars with the tea/coffee, and a fabulous fresh buffet breakfast plus of course the "full Irish" next morning. Irene was just so friendly and helpful and deserves every good review she has received. Thanks Irene! We will always remember this special place.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Can only confirm what has been said before - Irene is a very gracious host - and her breakfast is first class. The view from our room was magnificent. Irene recommended O'Neills for dinner - actually it is the only pub/restaurant in the village and it far surpassed our expectations - seafood chowder, deep fried brie, breaded haddock and lamb shank - all delicious - and this was food from the pub.We only stayed the one night - it was my husband's birthday - we could not have found a better location to celebrate.

Room Tip: A room facing the water is a must
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Allihies
Beara Coast Hotel
Sea View Guest House
#3 of 4 in Allihies
0 mi away
The House of the Boatmaker

Been to Beach View Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!