“Best in town”
Review of Kuriftu Resort

Kuriftu Resort
Ranked #1 of 10 Bishoftu B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This is a 5-star hotel by most standards not just Ethiopian standards. It has all the amenities that a modern hotel offers. This is a Spa resort and one massage is included with each room's rental. Extra massages are really inexpensive (about $10).

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michel G
There are newer reviews for Kuriftu Resort

Reviewed May 27, 2014

I came here with a friend. I brought a cake as it was her birthday...apparently their is a corkage fee for cake brought in from outside, but the management said there was no charge for bringing in the cake that said 'Happy Birthday'. It's good to see that there is a flicker of life in customer service in Ethiopia. I had a pizza here which was really good. Still waiting on the complementary massage...

Room Tip: Obviously the old side is better as there are no amenities at the new site.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2014

From the moment we took the right left (getting here is moderately challenging) to the time we took our last, the time spent here was pleasingly serene.

We arrived before noon, which at first seemed like a mistake because the room wasn't ready; however it was actually an advantage as it allowed us early access to the buffet, our choice of spa times, no wait for kayaking, a spot beside the pool, time in the sauna, a dip in the jacuzzi...all before dinner.

After dinner we took a stroll around the resort and gift shop before retiring to our veranda and a warm fire. The fire was a perfect nightcap. The bed was surprisingly comfortable, although we did get quite a few insect bites while dreaming. As expected, we were awaken by the ubiquitous Orthodox Church chanting. What Belarus is to vodka, Ethiopia is to churches.

The complimentary breakfast was a nice way to begin our day. In fact, the food was generally good and the service fast and friendly. What followed was a very relaxing massage in an ideal setting. Checkout time was now upon us and we were very happy to have planned ahead for credit card problems by bringing birr. After at least seven instances of communications failure we forked over a wad of birr and began our trek back to Addis both relaxed and rejuvenated. Of course, the drive back changed all that.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 3, 2014

This is a lovely place. For the december holidays my family and I decided to stay in Kuriftu Resort while we explored the city of Debre Zeyit and climbed the near by mountain called Ziqwalla (which I would highly recommend). The resort is a lovely place to relax and there are lots of fun things to do, like kayaking and bird watching. The spa is also great, my mum and I had a amazing releasing afternoon there after a difficult climb. The Ethiopian people are also truly lovely! I would highly recommend this.

Room Tip: The new rooms in the newly built area, are amazing. It is also more quite in the newly built rooms a...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My week at the Kuriftu resort (the venue for a reflection workshop that I was facilitating) was one of the most delightful interludes in my calendar which is packed with work-related travel. It's not often that I actually feel relaxed while working - but Kuriftu had everything that it takes to allow me let go of my stress and just go with the flow.

The gorgeously laid-out gardens (how did they achiev that green in just seven years?); the luxurious rooms with flower-strewn beds, spectacular traditional bamboo ceilings and ethnic-looking leather furniture; the spa with world-class massages and treatments on the house; the serene lake with its amazing variety of bird life (pelicans, weaver birds, kingfishers, cormorants and many more that I could not identify); the courteous and welcoming staff - everything was designed to charm. It worked - I was charmed.

I've seen some comments from earlier reviewers about poor service - my experience doesn't bear this out. Every request was courteously and smoothly handled - I asked for and got a change of room (because of a plumbing problem), endless printouts and xeroxes, extra towels, fruit - even a basket of breadcrumbs to feed the birds. Most of the housekeeping staff don't speak English so this might be a problem - but the staff at the front desk are very responsive and helpful. And everyone goes out of their way to be helpful.

I do have a couple of complaints though.

First, the rather boring vegetarian options on the set menu, which has all of three options (two kinds of pasta and Ethiopian fasting food which is not exciting after the first three days). The buffet lunches and dinners were great though - lots of vegetables and salads, and the desserts are divine.

Second, the absence of a telephone and poor wireless connectivity in the new rooms.

Third, the electricals - the bedside lamp is to feeble to read by and there are no convenient power outlets - I had to crawl behind a heavy piece of furniture and wrestle with the TV plug to pull it out and charge my laptop and phone.

But these are minor problems that bothered me only because I was working - I wouldn't even notuice them if I was on a holiday at Kuriftu.

One more thing that is a cause for complaint is the absence of a walking path around the lake - although there is a little jetty with kayaks on offer, I kept dreaming of an early-morning walk around the tranquil waters.

All in all, a destination that I would strongly recommend.

Room Tip: The new rooms are bigger and nicer than the old ones, but are a short walk away (down an unpaved cou...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Kuriftu is a nice resort, the view and scenery is good. The hotel is currently under expansion and the new rooms are 5 minutes rough road away. No Shuttle and it's dusty to walk on foot. The rooms are good, but the lighting is not adjustable and almost dark. I found the service very poor. To start from the room, we was promised a lake view room upon reservation, but I found out it actually is not!!! There is no telephone in the room and you have to call by your own mobile phone to access room service. The fare for 1 night is $100, a package deal with breakfast, movie theater, massage, spa services, kayaking and sporting services. But when you ask to use the services, all you find is either you have to wait long queue or that it's not working. We asked for the movie theater for example and were told that the overhead projector is occupied with a meeting, Shame!!! The package included breakfast and guess what, we were 5 minutes late for the breakfast since we need to travel on foot to the old resort to get the service and were told that breakfast time is up and we need to pay to get the service. This is a REAL SHAME for a resort of this standard. Very poor customer service all in all and compared to kuriftu, the new neighboring Liesak Resort (http://liesakresort.com/) on lake babogaya is much better with great customer care and value for money.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank wonde b
Reviewed February 9, 2014

I stayed in Kuriftu for a corporate retreat which lasted about a week.

Gorgeous natural surrounding, great food and exceptional service.

Spa facilities were also very clean and easy to access. Relaxation at its best!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
3  Thank M Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bishoftu
La Residence Hotel & Spa
Caravan Hotel
Caravan Hotel
#6 of 121 in Addis Ababa
Babogaya Lake Viewpoint Lodge

Been to Kuriftu Resort? Share your experiences!