“Wouldn't stay here”
Review of Christie Lodge

Christie Lodge
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Avon
Reviewed January 30, 2011

I read many reviews before I booked. Trip of a few days to Ski Vail. Realized the place was small, etc., but felt it couldn't be that bad. I was wrong.

Rented a one bedroom condo. Very small. Felt tight with just a couple and our teenage son. What really bothered me despite everything else was being lied too. I called the morning of our trip to ensure that the wood burning fireplace allowed guests to burn wood. I was told yes and fire logs. When we got into the condo, a card was hanging on the fireplace saying you can't burn any wood. You were given a complementary fire log. If you want to burn more, you have to buy them from the front desk. I feel this was all deliberately misleading and should be stated on their website.

The bed was comfortable, besides that everything else was uncomfortable. Despite turning the heat down, the room got quite warm at night while sleeping leading to everyone complaining the next day that they were sweating and the room was stuffy. The fridge is a dorm fridge. Cooking and eating was quite limited. If your a light sleeper, this place isn't for you. The hallways are literally right outside the bedroom window and this hotel is right next to I-70.

Only positive was the price and having some restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. We wanted an inexpensive place to stay, but it was far from comfortable.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank ColoradoDiane66
kegizii, Director of Sales at Christie Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2011

Dear Denver traveler,
Thank you for your comments. I am so sorry that your experience left you unhappy; as it is our goal to make sure that all guests have a pleasant stay.
We happily accept the use of pre-dried and bundled wood use in our fireplaces, in addition to wood burning logs. You may bring in your own or we conveniently offer logs for $3.00 at our front desk. We are an eco-friendly facility and do have a sign that encourages our guests to use the logs, however; it is ultimately your choice. I apologize that we didn’t make that more clear.
Our one bedroom units are 426 square feet, and should provide ample room to move around; however, in cases like yours were you feel it is too tight we should have offered you one of our three bedroom condo-suites, which are closer to 900 + square feet.
We are so sorry that we failed to convey a positive message to you and your family.
We will be starting on guest room remodels in 2 weeks, and hope that you give us another opportunity to serve you.

Reviewed January 15, 2011

Loved the pool and the place looked nice inside the halls. But there's no soft materials like carpets, drapes, etc so the whole place bounces every childs scream all over the interior for everyone to hear. The front desk was not very helpful. But it was inexpensive and close to town so it was okay. However, once in the room, the carpet was horrible !!!! it smelled like a perfume spray, it was so bad, we had to use a fan to blow snowy air from the balcony into the room and open the atrium door to let the stink go out. We left it that way for over 2 hours and the stink was so bad, we couldn't hardly sleep after dealing with it for hours, not to mention the FREEZING cold air we had to endure because of the open doors for the perfume. all night we both had headaches, irritability and watery eyes. I can't recommend any hotel that would expect a guest to breathe that horrible stuff in a closed area and not provide another room or remedy. The bed was not great either.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arthaven
kegizii, Director of Sales at Christie Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2011

Dear Colorado Springs,
Thank you for your response, It is always very important for us to hear feedback. I wish your stay could have been more enjoyable. During the holiday season, we generally have many many families in house and the noise can sometimes exceed even our levels of comfort. We do enforce our 10 pm "quiet time", so hopefully you were not diturbed after that time. I appologize that we didn't offer to move you to a quieter location-Did you complian to our desk? I am unable to recover any compaint...
That purfume smell you are refering to is from the fireplace. We have wood burning fire places and some guests don't like that smell so we use a product called "smoke out" to reduce the wood smell; unfortunatly, it has a perfume base to it. Again, we should have offered you another room.
Please accept our sincerest appologies, We will continue to train our staff to be more helpful in the future.
Please feel free to contact me directly, should you be inclined to give us another chance to serve you.
kegizii@christielodge.com.
Warmest regards

Reviewed January 13, 2011

This was my second stay, and I must say that I much preferred my previous visit, which was a nice week-long summer holiday. At the time, we enjoyed a quiet room with a view of the highway, which we didn't mind, as the long daylight hours kept us out enjoying nature until we were quite tired each night. We then came home to a nice, quiet room near the top of the hotel. This time, our room was located right next to both the indoor swimming pool and the ping pong tables, and even skiing all day could not tire us out enough for what lay in wait each night. Despite early pool closing times, screaming and laughter could be heard at all hours in our room, with the bed located directly on the wall adjoining the gaming area. I choose to sleep on the living room couch with the TV on all night to drown out the hotel noise. In addition, police were at the hotel through most of the day we chose to relax and do some laundry. They had caution tape up as they investigated what appeared to be a serious crime close to our room. The hotel refused to give any information whatsoever about the event, even just to say whether the event was presumed over, which is disconcerting when family safety is of concern. Also, trying to get replacement towels or bedding between scheduled mid-week servicing can be a bit challenging to navigate at times. And of note, busses to and from the hotel are somewhat limited, and can require up to 2 transfers before you get up the mountain. So, plan your times very wisely if you don't want to miss events or end up taking very long walks in your ski boots at altitude. That said, it is still a fairly priced hotel for ski season, and the kitchenettes are helpful for getting a nice breakfast in time for the first powder runs. The in-house restaraunt got good reviews, the fireplaces are a pleasant addition if staying in, and the covered parking level at back is nice in snowy weather. It would be wonderful if they considered including in-room stackable washer/dryers when they did their next updates, and if they added a thick matress pad to use on the fold-out couch matresses. Either way, for the value, I would consider visiting again if I could pick my room location, and would recommend it to anyone who prefers to spend more of their money on entertainment in Beaver Creek than on their accomodation.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple

Hello Texas,
Thank you so much for your review. We are constantly striving to achieve higher levels of service, so your comments are appreciated.
We appologize for the noise, this time of year is tough with so many families visiting. 10 p.m. is our quite time; however, I know after a long day of skiing, that is late. We will make sure that we do a better job of quieting things down earlier, so that you, our guest can rest more peacefully.
The incident that you spoke of was of a "domestic personal issue" in nature. They police and hotel staff placed the caution tape up to try and provide some privacy for the guests, while things were being checked-out. I appologize if you were alarmed, however, I assure you that if at ANYTIME the welfare of our guests were/are at risk, proper notifications would have been made.
We take guest safety VERY seriously!
Please feel free to contact me directly the next time your in Vail Valley, I would love to make sure your stay is quiet and peaceful. You deserve the best, at any price!
kegizii@christielodge.com.

Reviewed December 29, 2010

We stayed in a 3 BR unit for a week prior to Christmas. Based on a number of reviews, I was dreading the stay to be hones, but as my brother traded for this timeshare, the price was right. I dont always need to stay in a Ritz Carlton, but I've also reached a point in my life where I dont need to bare bones it either.

I can understand what others have wrote about the number of stairs in this place. I can also understand why many people have hated this place and a few others have enjoyed their stay.

We were fortunate enough to stay in one of the outlying buildings, just off from the main building. We also were on the ground floor and as such it was quite easy to bring groceries and baggage in and out. OTOH, if we were on the third floor, it would have been quite a pain to lug ski equipment up and down the stairs.
Parking was easy enough and took less than a minute to park and get to the unit.
Once inside, well...You do enter through the bedrooms and there are just way too many interior doors and really odd placement of light switches. The bedrooms were spacious enough and the beds were comfortable enough. Storage was more than adequate.
The "living room" area was on the smallish side and the kitchen as has been mentioned lacks an oven, so unless you want to cook dinner in the electric skillet, breakfast and simple lunches are likely to be the only things on the menu unless you are heating leftovers in the microwave. The fireplace did burn "duraflame" type logs, but certainly this was OK for my family's needs.
The bathrooms were clean enough and had adequate space and towels. Water press was good as well.
I should also mention that the rooms upstairs from ours were quite noisy in the morning from what I assume were kids running around though we did not have any "hall noise" as our unit opened to the outside.
The hotel is on the bus route and we did take a bus to beaver creek one day. This did involve transferring to the beaver creek shuttle and the way to the mountain was quick enough, but my one trip back took 45 minutes and so my non-skiing wife was good enough to drive on other days. Otherwise parking at the mountain is $33/day.
I did not use the indoor pool or the jacuzzi, but they seemed clean enough.
I also did not use the on-site ski rental company, but I heard the equipment and prices were fairly good.
The free internet in our room was spotty and a bit slow, but it was free.
All in all, I dont know that I would stay here again. I'd rather go a bit more upscale and stay closer to the mountain. However, if you are on a budget, this place is OK, especially if you are on the outer building on a low floor.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
kegizii, Director of Sales at Christie Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded January 5, 2011

Hello Gainesville, Florida family...
Thank you so very much for taking the time to fill out the Trip Advisor survey form. It is vital to our organization that we continually get feedback, wether positive and/or negative. And as you could see, many many of our 's are very old and outdated.
With that being said, I would like to address a few items:
I am happy to hear that your stay was on the main floor,; I know the stairs can be challanging at times; however the 2 elevators do help, especially with luggage.
I hope that in the winter time, you found our FREE covered parking pleasant, as our winters bring alot of snow!
I know that with no oven's; it can be challanging to cook, however; we do offer skillets and crockpots. Since your review I have pulled several easy recipes and will (in the near future) be placing those in each guest room so that others will cook with more ease-thank you!
As far as the noise...Christmas and New Year's are our 2 busiest weeks of the year, especially with family visiits. We strongly enforce "quiet time" at 10 pm. I hope the noise you experienced was before then.
The shuttle-Possibly a little slow, due to so many people in area at one time, but at least it was free!
I wish you would have had an opportunity to visit the new outdoor heated pool and hottub; this was our summer 2010 huge remodel project. Maybe next time-it is beautiful!
I am pleased that all in all your stay with us was pleasant. We will work hard to continue to please our guests and welcome all comments to accomodate them.
Please feel free to call me direct the next time your in our backyard. My email is kegizii@christielodge.com.
Thanks

Reviewed October 8, 2010

Overall, considering it is the VAIL area; the price was great; we didn't stay in the room much
as we were always on the GO and enjoying hte outdoors which is WHY we went. Room fairly small but functinable; BED was award right next to the wall + the child size bed adequate. Enjoyed the kitchen, T.V., FIREPLACE and can't complain much being it has a decent garage. It is not the grand palace but overall; fairly satisifed as we stayed 7 nights...enjoyed the sights and the staff were able to accomodate us to several isghts.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for the lovely response. We love our guests and need constant feedback to continue to strive for the best.
Hope to see you next year!

Reviewed September 21, 2010

I've stayed at this faculty three times thus far it's coming due for a remodel but other than that everything is excellent, location is great also as plenty of shops and resturaunts nearby. This is not a 400 a night hotel but for the money it's a great hotel.

• Stayed: January 2010
1  Thank Brian28jersey

Dear guest,
It is guests like yourself that keep us going from year to year. I am please to have you each year, and look forward to next years visit.
We pride ourselves on getting to know you.
We have begun the remodeling process; the front desk area has been completed and this past summer we completed the outdoor pool and hottub area. Hopefully we will have another project completed by your next visit.
If can can assist you in any manner please don't hesitate to email or call me.
kegizii@christielodg.com.

Reviewed August 16, 2010

Staff was unable to locate reservation, but had rooms available.
Suite layout has the bedroom as the entrance; no AC and no window in the bedroom made for a stuffy room. pillows and bed were rather uncomfortable. foldout bed was uncomfortable, and sheets from last use were still lumped in there. There were fresh linens in the closet.
Slow response to a hair dryer request (and a perceived lack of interest), but I found the tripped breaker.
We'd say "OK", at best. Passed on better options on a recommendation. Won't make this mistake again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank mkduffy
kegizii, Director of Sales at Christie Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2010

Good Afternoon,
I just opened up your review and was saden by our aparend lack of ability to please you and your family.
We applogize. It is not in our nature to not be customer focused.
Management and staff alike are working very hard to identify our weak area's, address them and overcome them. Although your comments were tough to hear; I assure you we WILL learn from them.
I would like a future opportunity to to show you that we really can be a first rate place. Please feel free to call me direct at the Christie Lodge. Sometimes a second chance really does make the difference.
Were listening!
Thank you for your comments.
Kim

Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
Comfort Inn Near Vail Beaver Creek
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
Evergreen Lodge
Evergreen Lodge
#22 of 31 in Vail

Been to Christie Lodge? Share your experiences!