“Nice Location, Clean Hotel”
Review of Christie Lodge

Christie Lodge
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Avon
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I'd stay here again. Cassie, the concierge, was great!

I was confused by the room though - they advertised a kitchenette, but there were no stove and no oven - why have a dishwasher if you don't have a stove or an oven? Who wants a microwave dinner?

Another thing that confused me about the advertisement was the "wood burning fireplace". Yes there was a fireplace, and, yes, it was capable of burning wood; but you weren't allowed to burn wood, and what you were allowed to burn, you had to buy from the hotel (Duraflame logs). The log I got didn't even burn all the way - about two thirds burned.

And the third hotel strike was the lack of the advertised gym - it was closed for renovations! I was directed to the local community center - this facility was excellent. But again, the hotel was lacking - they forgot (?) to renew their agreement with the community center! Luckily they have a good rapport with the hotel, and the supervisor at the community center didn't turn me away - at 5:30 a.m.!!!!! If she had, and she wouldn't have been out of bounds rejecting me, I would have been extremely angry with the hotel.

The snow cat tour that my wife took was okay, but the guide sucked. He couldn't answer any questions about the area - didn't even know how much snow was on the ground; and I provided more info about the famous beginnings of the 10th Mountain division than did the guide!

Thanks Cassie for getting my wife a voucher for another guided tour!

Basically, Cassie is the reason we'd come back. Don't get me wrong, the hotel was good - just not what we expected.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Chris M
Tom B, Director of Resort Sales and Marketing at Christie Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Hello Chris,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Cassie does a really great job for us and I appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge her efforts. It is true that we do not currently have a stove top or oven (considering that change for our next renovation in a couple of years) but we do offer an electric skillets and Crock Pots to our guests that would like them. All of our rooms do have fireplaces and you are seeing our green initiatives in action to keep our valley clear and beautiful. Duraflame logs burn very clean and we provide them to our guests at our cost. Our gym just received a makeover and I am glad to here that the Avon Recreation Center did not turn you away. We have a great relationship with them it sounds like their may have been a misunderstanding when you tried to gain access at 5:30 in the morning. I will follow up with Cassie regarding your snow cat tour to see how the experience can be improved.

Again, we appreciate your input and hope to have you back again!

Tom

Reviewed January 23, 2014

Enjoyed our stays here in December 2012 and March 2013. Would stay here again. Free shuttle service right outside the door to Beaver Creek and surrounding area. Get the bus schedule and study it. Many restaurants and stores close walking distance. Wish you could get a king size bed but room size does not allow for that. Unit is perfect for 2 people and okay for one more on hide abed but would not want to sleep 4 adults here. Staff is wonderful here and very helpful with any needs. Experienced a few things that needed taking care of but all was taken care of promptly. Loved the outdoor hot tub but it can get busy sometimes. Very nice outdoor pool, heated. Only used the indoor hot tub a few times but it was nice too. Did not use the indoor pool, it was smaller. Stayed on 3rd floor first stay and 2nd floor second stay. Room on 3rd floor was in better shape but overall both were good. Elevator can be taken up to floor but then still have to walk and maybe go up one flight of stairs if on 3rd floor. Lots of stairs in this place and didn't know about the elevator on our first stay. Good pricing, clean, and nice amenities for the price. Subway rest. inside building and nice Mexican rest. too. If you need something don't be afraid to ask, staff was very accommodating.

Room Tip: Rooms close to the outside pool and hot tub incur more noise during peak use time.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank wilakelady
Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

Convenient and good option to stay in the vail area in an affordable place. For those looking for posh opulence (and able to afford $500/night) - go to vail village. If you have a small group (4people or less), this is your best choice in the area. About $100-120 per night depending on the season and how early you book, all rooms are 2-room suites that comfortably sleep 4 and could fit 6 in a squeeze (queen bed + foldout couch). Have a fully functioning kitchen and nearby grocery store with restaurants and bars in walking distance across the street. Bus out front for free shuttle service to beaver creek leaves every 15min and is only a 15min ride. To vail you will either need to drive (to vail, to a free bus stop, or take the city bus for $4 that is a 5min walk away). The place is overall huge with lots of rooms, a fitness center, outdoor and indoor pool, and like 6 hot tubs (both indoor and outdoor). I'll stay here again for sure.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Jon1796
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We booked this hotel on kayak or hotwire. I do not recall but it works perfectly for our family. We got here and were able to spread out the room has a Queen bed and a child's day bed. The living room has a queen sleeper sofa and a kitchenette. Just fridge, microwave, dishwasher and coffee maker with sink but it was nice enough size to house all four of us and the place was clean, even if it is an older property it's proximity to Beaver Creek is perfect. The pizza joint across the street was great and we got to ski hard and watch the AFC championships. GO BRONCOS!!

2  Thank momof2wildchilds
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed 3 nights at this hotel and wasn't in room much, but it was a nice stay! They were very friendly at front desk. I loved the fact of having Charter store right by the lobby where you can get souvenirs and rent ski equipment! The only thing that was different to me (as many people said on here) was the design of the stairs...you go up then down to get to your room. It really didn't bother me though. The other thing was that your bed is right next to the door so you hear people walking by and talking. I liked the fact that they had nice fire pits around (inside and outside). The jacuzzi looked inviting but I forgot my bathing suit. Our room had a fireplace which we didn't use but we did use the fridge. We bought a 24 pack of water at grocery store which was across the street. Drink lots of water to prevent altitude sickness and bring Motrin and Tylenol! I had a headache at 3 am and was glad I had medicine! Headaches are another sign of Altitude sickness! They have some shops and restaurants all in walking distance. There is a free shuttle service right in front of Christie Lodge and it takes you to Beaver Creek where we went skiing! It runs every 15 minutes and some part of day, shuttle runs every 30 minutes.
So, all in all, I would stay here again, especially if you are trying to save some money.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

tThe reality is if you are considering the Christie Lodge you probably can't afford to stay at the Ritz in Beaver Creek. This is the best mountain town hotel value you can get.
We've stayed for several long weekends at the Christie Lodge and will keep going back.
Location-Not on the mountain but the shuttle will take you there/back and runs frequently. Free parking, free shuttle. Great pizza place across the street, Beaver Liquer store around the corner.
Hotel-Strange layout but functional. The whole hotel smells like chlorine from the pool but the rooms do not smell at all.
Rooms-the rooms are functional and fairly comfortable. Simple with a small stocked kitchenette. I'd compare it to a nice Quality Inn. Nothing special but again, if you can afford the Ritz, you're not going to stay here. The only negative is the halls echo and if kids are screaming or doors are closing the hotel can get loud. Also, we could her the couple upstairs having sex on their squeaky bed. Awesome way to wake up!

4-start because it's a great value for the location.

Room Tip: Select a high floor with mountain views, otherwise your balcony will face the parking lot and freewa...
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Finally getting around to this, because I want to share my experience at the Christie. About myself: well traveled and I have a Master of Science in Hotel and Tourism Management, so I look at things from both viewpoints, from both a manager's and a tourist's. Check-in was smooth. I was told the lodge is trying to be a top RCI timeshare and they putting forth the effort to make that a reality. Front desk staff was welcoming and through. I must admit I did not pick up my welcome package, so I missed any sales pitch.

I was given a room on the second floor facing Beaver Creek. Nice view of the Avon and "the roundabout". Yes, there was some noise from all of the traffic and the parking lot. Overall, not a problem at all. The room was nice, a little small for more than two people. However, it was clean and very adequate for my needs as a single traveler. The fireplace next to the view of outside was great. The internet worked flawlessly. The kitchen was adequate, even without an oven. It had a small refrigerator, microwave, dishwasher,and electric skillet that worked better than expected. Since it was Thanksgiving, I wanted to cook a small boneless turkey and housekeeping brought me a brand new crock pot that made a perfect turkey for Thanksgiving day. Add stuffing and green beans and my meal was set.

The location is perfect for exploring Beaver Creek, Vail, and Glenwood Canyon. Walmart is one exit away. Walgreens is across the street. Grocery stores are close. Subway is in the building.

Yes, it's true the interior of the hotel needs a makeover. What to do with the odd architecture of the building? They are doing the best they can with what they have. There are comments about the backside of the building facing the freeway, if you ask me some of those rooms have even more privacy and face a mountain too. The noise is not bad. There are grills right outside some of the rooms.

I did have one problem while I was there, maintenance decided to remodel the room above me while I was there. One quick call to the manager at the front desk took care of that. They are truly all good natured employees and want you have a real vacation. One of the guys from housekeeping was especially nice, I wish I could remember his name, but he helped me several times.

For the are being so hoidy toidy, the Christie is laid back, and well-priced. I had a very nice time.

Room Tip: If you are staying for a week, don't be shy to ask for what you want. If you are there one nigh...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
Comfort Inn Near Vail Beaver Creek
Tivoli Lodge
Tivoli Lodge
#3 of 30 in Vail
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch

Been to Christie Lodge? Share your experiences!