“Was nice”

Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Avon
Conshohocken, Pennsylvania
“Was nice”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

I saw some crappy reviews so i wasn't sure what to expect but our experience was really nice. I mean, the staff were nice, the facilities were well kept, housekeeping was very helpful. The room was an efficiency and it was definitely on the small side, the internet was slow, the water pressure wasn't great and the outside of the building could use a fresh coat of paint. But honestly we had a nice stay and i can't complain about my overall stay. We liked the place!

Room Tip: stay on the 1st floor
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed February 21, 2013

The entire experience from start to finish was very disappointing, especially considering I was so looking forward to the stay. I do a lot of traveling so I can confidently give this hotel a review based on how hotels should operate, and the experiences I have had from low end bargain hotels in the middle of nowhere to four star hotels in Chicago and New York.

The front desk agent who checked me in was rude and unhelpful; I'm not sure if she was having a bad day or what the problem was. I went to find my room and though there was an elevator, I was shocked by how many stairs are all throughout the hotel. Not a big deal but just something you don't expect. Having to pick up luggage to walk down stairs or up stairs to get to your room is not fun. The room itself was nice, though the front door backs up to the common area, I sleep with earplugs when I travel so I wasn't woken up by anything. However I could see it being particularly noisy for folks who don't sleep with earplugs, as it was until I put them in. The good thing is that the room is large, with lots of amenities like a miniature apartment which is cute. That also means that the light coming in from the day time doesn't wake you up or even get into the sleeping area. That's awesome.

Before going to bed I called the front desk to see if I could get a late checkout (their normal checkout time is at 10am.) The desk agent told me that all late checkouts go through housekeeping, and I couldn't get in touch with them until 8am the next day. If I have to wake up by 8am to make a phonecall, what's the point in asking for a late checkout? I decided against it for this reason but just happened to wake up at 8am not feeling very well. I called down and was transferred to housekeeping. (This is so bizarre... I used to work in hotels, this is just strange practice.) -- I asked for a late checkout and she told me 11am would be the latest. I was happy with that. Fast forward to 10:15am and a housekeeper was banging on the door. I answered and they asked if I wasn't checking out after all. I said I had requested a late checkout and the person just said, "okay" and walked away. *Not impressed, Christie Lodge.* I checked out and the desk person was pleasant and polite.

Overall the experience wasn't great. They charge a $3 key card fee if you don't bring your card back to the desk at checkout. They have a comparably early checkout time, and their request for late checkout process is bizarre, inconvenient and ineffective. The staff is very hit or miss.

I would recommend finding somewhere else - this area is gorgeous and there are a lot of options. I spent some time at the Westin during the day; from the impeccable service I received there, I'm pretty sure the slightly higher prices to stay there would be well worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank jennybeanjcb
Reviewed January 27, 2013

A great hotel for the price. I plan on staying there again a few more times this season. Close to great food too :-) the one bedroom suite was very large for the price, it was clean, large & very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Youngmel
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

This may one of the most peculiar places I have every seen and an ADA nightmare. There is only one bank (2] elevators and the first floor is up and down stairs from the lobby to your room. The atrium is nice with places to sit, fireplaces, and indoor hot tubs. Rooms are small and the layout is miserable. The bedroom(including the headboard) is nearest the atrium, late nighter's and early riser's sound like they walking through your room. Small kitchen with fridge and dishwasher, but only a microwave and electric skillet to cook with. On the plus side; the in house ski shop provided great service and value, both of the concierges were knowledgeable and helpful, and they did have some nice in house activities. Didn't eat at either in house restaurants. Not that I would never come back, but it is highly unlikely. What I really can't believe is that they were actually able to sell timeshares to this place.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank the419yeti
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This property is old and dated and the floor plan is very unique. If you want a romantic weekend look elsewhere. There is minimal relaxation area in the units due to the floor plan and everyone was on top of each other when trying to watch a movie.

The limited kitchen can not be used for much more than quick meals and has no oven. Our room had poor temperature control and was either blazing hot or freezing.

You get what you pay for here-- an average hotel. There are pools and it is a good value for families looking for affordable lodging in the Avon/ Beaver Creek area. If you plan on only sleeping and skiing this is a good value. Good place to bring a bunch of kidos if you are looking to save some cash.

We went jogging along the river walk which was very close. The area around the property is beautiful.

Good location-- close to stores and restaurants. The staff was friendly.

Room Tip: stay away from the rooms near the indoor pool. They were loud and the whole area smelled like a poo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kinzCO
Reviewed January 14, 2013

We staid for a week on the 2012 winter season. I loved that it's smack in the middle of town and you have pharmacies, convenience store and some restaurants within a short walking distance, and the free shuttle to the slopes at beaver creek stops right at the main entrance.

Great, welcoming staff!

The rooms are a little tight, and the half kitchen is a little inconvenient... we had to spread the groceries in our two rooms so they would fit in the minibar fridge and small cupboard.

It has a Charter Sports rental shop in the lobby; They have great prices and a great selection of equipment. The skis had signs of wear, but they were great. Overall, I'd rent skis and equipment from them again. They also have a car-rental desk inside.

The shuttle to the slopes picks you up right at the door and it's around a 12 minute ride to the Beaver Creek Centennial Lift. The return trip is a little longer since it's one of the last stops on the way back.

We were a party of 7 and staid in a "Three bedroom condo" and also a "One bedroom condo".
They are a little tight and we rarely staid in the living room all at the same time (Some staid in one room's and some in the other's so we could all seat comfortably.)

They do not offer in-room safes, and the safety deposit boxes in the reception are quite small.

They have foosball and ping-pong tables, a small indoor pool, a larger pool outside, and three hot-tubs (two for adults only), which were too hot for us and everyone we met there, but it could be a matter of requesting the staff for a different temperature setting and problem solved.

I'd have loved a more cafeteria-type restaurant inside, but the food is good (one's a mexican food restaurant and the other is a well-know sub place.)

They have two laundry rooms with four washers and 4 dryers, where it's around $3.75 per load for both washer and drier, so it's really great for families or longer stays. (I suggest you buy detergent and softener at the store)

Wi-fi is free but extremely slow, and on mobile devices you have to re-enter the password almost every time the device enters standby and disconnects. I wish they had a MAC address filter so the leases would stay stored in the router and not on cookies on the devices (most phones don't store cookies well).

Stairs are everywhere on this place, and unless you're in the ~10 rooms that are next to the elevators on each side, you will encounter at least a 6 step stair to get to your room. There are some ramps, but they're too steep to be used by a wheelchair.

Cleaning was OK, they made the bed and changed towels daily, I only had some problems with the trash being taken out, we had to leave the bags outside the room and problem solved. They don't do dishes during the stay, so I bought dishwasher soap and used the dishwasher.

Overall, I think it's a great value with a great service, I only wish they had vaporizers in the room because it gets so dry. (We bought a $20 dollar one in the nearby convenience store)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Barroba
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Happy! That is how I felt at the Christie Lodge. I was there for 10 days. I had stayed at the Park Hyatt before, but I shall choose this lodge again. It's a whole different feel than staying at a big hotel. The feel of a lodge just dovetails with the feel of a skiing community. I loved the large sliding glass doors which brought the outside in. I didn't get that at the Hyatt. The price is what caused me to move forward to make a reservation at the Christie Lodge. The value is terrific! I spent much time in my room as I am in the middle of writing another book so I needed to hole up in the room more than the usual guest. I loved it! The cleanliness of every part of the one bedroom suite really impressed me. The staff felt like family in that they were friendly and willing to help with anything you asked. I loved that there was a great Walgreen's across street, great pizza across street, 2 restaurants ( great Mexican place) connected to the hotel and the free shuttle outside the door...there was really nothing I didn't like! I plan on coming back for a month next and that says a lot. I was on the 2nd floor and sleep with a sound machine at night, so I wasn't bothered by any noise. One of the staff took my luggage up and brought it down the day I left. I love Beaver Creek Village, but I'd come back to the Lodge rather than spend a fortune in the Village. It felt good to to come home to my suite on the days I did get out.
The configuration of the place is unique, but that is nothing that would ever bother me. I've walked down long, long corridors at fancy hotels too. I travel a lot as a conference speaker, and to have a kitchen with all the supplies was a great, great bonus. I'm used to hotel rooms where I have to eat out all the time. What a surprise to get a kitchen for the price I paid. So the main words I would use when I think of Christie Lodge would be 1. Great value 2. Cleanliness 3. Warm and helpful staff 4. Large view of outdoors 5. Convenient to several big box stores, including great pharmacy and great food market...all in walking distance. 6. the gym was sufficient for my needs. 7. I felt safe.
Come experience this place for yourself! I started with "Happy!" and I end with "Happy!"

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Jujubee R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
Comfort Inn Near Vail Beaver Creek
The Charter at Beaver Creek
The Charter at Beaver Creek
#10 of 18 in Beaver Creek
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch

Been to Christie Lodge? Share your experiences!