“I'm coming back for sure!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Christie Lodge

Christie Lodge
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Avon
Atlanta, Georgia
“I'm coming back for sure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Happy! That is how I felt at the Christie Lodge. I was there for 10 days. I had stayed at the Park Hyatt before, but I shall choose this lodge again. It's a whole different feel than staying at a big hotel. The feel of a lodge just dovetails with the feel of a skiing community. I loved the large sliding glass doors which brought the outside in. I didn't get that at the Hyatt. The price is what caused me to move forward to make a reservation at the Christie Lodge. The value is terrific! I spent much time in my room as I am in the middle of writing another book so I needed to hole up in the room more than the usual guest. I loved it! The cleanliness of every part of the one bedroom suite really impressed me. The staff felt like family in that they were friendly and willing to help with anything you asked. I loved that there was a great Walgreen's across street, great pizza across street, 2 restaurants ( great Mexican place) connected to the hotel and the free shuttle outside the door...there was really nothing I didn't like! I plan on coming back for a month next and that says a lot. I was on the 2nd floor and sleep with a sound machine at night, so I wasn't bothered by any noise. One of the staff took my luggage up and brought it down the day I left. I love Beaver Creek Village, but I'd come back to the Lodge rather than spend a fortune in the Village. It felt good to to come home to my suite on the days I did get out.
The configuration of the place is unique, but that is nothing that would ever bother me. I've walked down long, long corridors at fancy hotels too. I travel a lot as a conference speaker, and to have a kitchen with all the supplies was a great, great bonus. I'm used to hotel rooms where I have to eat out all the time. What a surprise to get a kitchen for the price I paid. So the main words I would use when I think of Christie Lodge would be 1. Great value 2. Cleanliness 3. Warm and helpful staff 4. Large view of outdoors 5. Convenient to several big box stores, including great pharmacy and great food market...all in walking distance. 6. the gym was sufficient for my needs. 7. I felt safe.
Come experience this place for yourself! I started with "Happy!" and I end with "Happy!"

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Jujubee R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
Littleton, Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2013

We rented a 1 bedroom condo suite for the week of New Years. We had me, my wife, and two kids (11 and 9) and it was a little crowded, but we basically only slept there and were out on the slopes or village most of the time so it wasn't too bad. First the bad part: the layout of the lodge. It's very long and narrow and the worst part is there is only one set of elevators and they are located in the middle of the lodge. That wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the fact that to get to our room we still had to negotiate two small flights of stairs. With luggage, ski equipment (there's no ski valet to store your skis in), groceries, etc for a week that was a major pain in the butt. Not to mention hauling skis up to the 3rd floor everyday was a hassle. The condition of the place was decent...not real fancy, but not run down either. The good part was the price and location. We rented the place from an owner we found off Craigslist. As condo timeshare owners ourselves we knew the process and negotiated the price down and got a really good deal. Also the location was very convenient. It's a short drive down I-70 to Vail where we skied all week. Plus there are a lot of restaurants and shops within walking distance of the Lodge itself. I'd be willing to stay there again if we got that same low rate, but the incovenience of the layout is a big deterrent.

Room Tip: Near elevators
2 Thank lopezth
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

It would be easy, if you were not a winter sports person, not to give a particularly favorable review. But as skiers, my wife and I are inclined to see Christie as an old friend with whom we are wonderfully comfortable even if we agree with some of the imperfections many reviewers will rightly note. The studio rooms are small for a week long stay with a limited kitchen area, but the regular size one bedroom rooms are certainly adequate. The design is a little strange, yet has a charm about it. And I still get lost at times trying to find where I am going. You have to be there to understand this.

However, we have always found the staff friendly and very helpful in improving our situation in any way possible. Some favorable points are the multiple pools and hot tubs, fireplace area within a huge lobby, “in house” restaurant as well as a “Subway” for fast food, WiFi in the rooms, and many places to gather in huge lobby areas throughout.

As a skier there are some great benefits. If you are on a limited budget (we always are) and can’t afford the “ski out ski in” lodging, Christie Lodge's main entrance is a stop on a very frequent “Skier Express” free bus/shuttle to take you to Beaver Creek Village where the main lifts are located. There is also a free “in town” bus from the same location that services most any of the places you would likely want to visit (though much is within walking distance). Also, Charter Sports has one of their ski and board rental stores off the main lobby where we have always received top service. Very importantly, in ski season you do need a place to stay. Christie Lodge is very large with many rooms; sometimes when smaller places are full, there is still room here. Thus I’m glad it’s there. And finally, and important for the winter, they have a fairly large underground parking area -- nice not to have to clean off the snow every time you go somewhere. We come on time share exchanges and have found it a good value for the trade.

Room Tip: Closer to the main lobby is closer to the elevators. There are "dollies" available to hel...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carl B
West Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2013

Vail was great, Vail Village was great but in addition we really enjoyed the Christie lodge. It was in Avon 9 miles from Vail but the price was fair and the room was perfect for us. We had 5 in our group. Myself and 4 teenage kids. We used the outdoor hot tub every night and the Lodge has ski rentals right inside the hotel which was great and the prices there were less than anywhere else. There also was a Subway in the hotel and restuarant and we have no complaints. I would recommend and retuen.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank bill h
Indianapolis, Indiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

Just stayed a week here at the Christie Lodge. We will NEVER return here. Our first day there and my son took a shower and broke out in a rash all over his body. I went and spent $13.50 to wash all their towels before I would let anyone else use them. (Washed the sheets too) When I told the Manager I was told "I don't know to say . . . hope you have some Anti-Itch Creme" Then the next day the cleaning people came thru and took all the towels (including the ones I washed) and my daughter broke out. Had to spend more money to re-wash EVERYTHING!! The place was suppose to been renovated but there were broken tiles with glue over it in the kitchen and bathrooms and stains on the carpets.
NOT A HAPPY CUSTOMER!!!

if i could give a negitive I would to this place!!

4 Thank indycox
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

Unbelievably disappointed regarding how much I paid for my stay here. The hotel was rated as a 3-star and reviews on hotels.com were OK enough to think this would be OK. But this place is definitely run-down. Mattresses were old and you could feel the springs. Rooms were drab and carpets old. Room layout had so many tight doors it was difficult to get around. What's worse is we paid for a "Mountain View Room" -- see the picture of our mountain view attached and note that the mountain behind the concrete wall was nothing more than the mound that leads up to the highway.

I found myself anxious to get out of the place in the morning. I've had far more comfortable stays at Comfort Inns in the area (2-stars that run half the price). The Comfort Inn in Dillion is definitely a better choice -- even if it's a bit farther from your ski hill. The unit we stayed at in Christie Lodge did have a kitchen but with the room quality and 10:00 check-out time, we didn't have an opportunity to use it.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Itsme2day
Boulder, CO
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here on a holiday weekend after deciding to ski Beaver Creek last minute and everything else was booked. Perhaps the fact that this place had availability should have told us something. The hotel is very oddly designed. Steps and ledges and odd angles everywhere. Hard to describe how weird it is. We had a 1-bedroom. Quiet enough but again oddly designed and small. Would be OK for a couple, maybe with 1 child (cramped with 2). Bed comfortable enough. Kitchen sparsely equipped, but it works if you can deal with a small fridge, microwave, and electric skillet. Coffee pot kept spewing water. Housekeeping needs attention: used towel found hanging on back of bathroom door after check-in, and didn't wipe out the bathroom sink when they came in to clean (toothpaste remnants still there). Cold in living area -- air comes in around slider -- despite cranking up heat. Shuttle to mountain convenient.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Juja80301
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Pines Lodge, A RockResort
Beaver Creek Lodge
#6 of 18 in Beaver Creek
The Osprey at Beaver Creek, A RockResort
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch

Been to Christie Lodge? Share your experiences!