“Mixed Blessings”

Red Mountain Grill
Grand Junction, Colorado
“Mixed Blessings”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

When I find a place that is pretty good and has really bad reviews in Trip Advisor, I try to analyze why I liked it and others did not. Red Mountain is a mixed blessing. In an area where there are very few sit down dinners for under $20, Red Mountain gives you a pretty decent 10 ounce prime rib dinner with mashed potatoes and vegetables for $15.95 on Thursday nights and $21 on other nights. They run specials most nights for $15.95. All you can eat ribs and BBQ on Monday, Filet on Tuesday etc. This might not last in Ski Season, but it is worth checking out. My wife and I have had the prime rib three times this summer, and it has been very good each time. I have reviewed the prime rib at the Northside Grill which is rated number two in town, and while that is very good, the Red Mountain is comparable, but not as thick. The Red Mountain smokes their prime rib which gives it an interesting taste. They have their own smoker, so the BBQ should be pretty good.
The service can be spotty as can be true in most places in the mountains with people there to ski not to make a career as waiters. We always ask for David, who is very good and knows what he is doing most of the time.
As far as the drinks, they have a happy hour Monday through Friday from four to six thirty.
Two for one tap beers which are mostly Colorado upscale brands. They also have several flights of four small beers for $7 which allow you taste a lot of premium beers for a small price. The house margarita''s are also two for one for $7 and taste OK to me. Same deal for house wines. So a decent dinner with wine for a total of under $25 per person is rare in Avon/Beaver Creek, and is worth a try.
Previous reviewers didn't like the pasta, I haven't tried it and they could be right. The walleye was heavily beer battered and if you don;t like that as one reviewer didn't I would pass on it. I can recommend the prime rib, the beer and the margaritas. I would try a steak and the ribs for the money. I would ask to be in David's section. There doesn't seem to be a manager, and the hostess doesn't seem too sharp so the complaints about the service could be valid, but we haven't had any problems.
The ambiance is sports bar. The place is very large with a lot of TVs turned to various games. The place was built as an Outback steak house, and is very large like most Outbacks. It is minimally decorated except for the TV sets.
So to sum up, I liked it, others did not. But the other places in Avon on trip Advisor are either pretty expensive or fast food or pizza joints. So this is a possible alternative for those seeking meat at a reasonable price. It is a sports bar, and there aren't a lot of kids, but I have seen families there from time to time, but I am not sure if there is a children's menu.
I would think it worth a try, we rate it about seventh overall, and look forward to other reviews to see how it worked out.

• Visited August 2013

Chicago, Illinois
“fast, friendly & comfortable”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

ahi tuna stack for appi fabulous

green chili omg you have to try this super tasty

small BBQ pizza man I wanted to go back for breakfast....

plenty of choices on the menu

huge assortment of martinis which are my fav

Houston, TX
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Should have gone to Subway”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

My wife and I were on vacation recently in the Rockies and we decided to give this poor reason for an eatery. After a long day we decided to give this place a try for dinner. I had a salad that was very good and my wife had an over priced pasta dish. I had a cocktail with my dinner and when I got the check I was overcharged for the drink. When I pointed this error to the the server she was taken back. After pointing this out it took over 15 minutes to get the check corrected. By the way, the pasta dish was very salty. TOO MUCH SALT.

We should have gone to Subway!!

Visited August 2013
1 Thank DRF81
Arvada, Colorado
“Avoid at all costs!!!!”
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My family and I stayed upstairs at Chapel Square. We ate one meal at the sushi restaurant next door and it was good. This place was really poor!

To begin, it was 7pm on a weekday night and nobody greeted us at the door. We waited for a few minutes and watched staff go buy us, or congregate and chit-chat, but nobody welcomed us. We finally walked up to the gaggle of servers and asked to be seated. All they did was grab menus and seat us. Still no "hello" or "welcome."

Not a good first impression.

When we finally got seated our server acted like she wanted to be ANYWHERE but there! She was rolling her eyes, looking bored and couldn't answer questions about items on the menu. The vibe was strong that she didn't care at all.

She got almost everyone's drink order wrong. It took forever for us to get our food (half hour from order to table) then the food orders were wrong. When everyone finally got their correct orders, 45 minutes after sitting down, the food was bland. My son's hamburger was cold. It was severely over-priced. The restaurant had maybe a dozen customers at the time. Food shouldn't take that long.

The staff was very unprofessional. They would congregate at the end of the bar laughing and giggling but not paying attention to their tables. We had to go up to the bar to get more napkins, a full ketchup bottle and water. It seems once the food was put down the server disappeared. There didn't look to be a manager on duty.

When we left the servers and bartender just looked at us. Not even a "thank you."

There are much, much better options within walking distance. This place was a rip-off.

3 Thank Jan B
usa
“Great fish and chips, wonderful beer selections on tap!”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Went for the friday night fresh walleye fish and chips, sat at the bar and were pleasantly surprised by the freshness of the fish, very light batter, and good skin-on fries. The barkeep was more than helpful, and poured us several small glasses of his favorites to taste. The bill was very reasonable, and everyone friendly. I cannot speak to anything but the friday night fresh fish special, but I highly recommend it if that is what you are jonesing for. The interior space is a little funky, that is the only reason I am not giving it 5 stars. I think this space used to be an outback steakhouse, and possibly other things before that.