“A great hotel !!! Awesome staff .”

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Avon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dania
“A great hotel !!! Awesome staff .”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I went to this Westin hotel to celebrate my birthday and wanted to be surrounded by nature . I got for my money .. I can say I loved everything about this hotel .. The staff was really helpful, Michael the front desk manager was professional , really kind to help me with a problem with my reservation . Tony the valet was really nice always ready to help or giving good advise ... Thank you . I will be back for sure .
R.Sagala

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Happy Birthday!! We appreciate you sharing your special day with us and we're glad our staff members Michael and Tony could help make it memorable. See you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Santa Cruz, California
Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is a lovely property, with great views (i was blessed with what they called "the mountain view" room) on the 7th floor. The lobby is spacious and comfortable, with several places to sit, relax, enjoy that view, watch large screen tv, drink beer, and just read a book. This is a good thing because the room is oddly small. In the room, there is a small foyer with the closets on one side and the bath on the other. But to get into the room you have to squeeze between the corner of the bathroom and the corner of the bed (was this tight you may ask? Just ask my shins!) it was if the interior desecrator tried to squeeze too much furniture into too small a space. And the selection of desk and desk chair was badly mismatched. The chair was much too low for the desk height and even plunking a couple of bed pillows down to raise the seat of the chair did not help much - i felt like a 6-year old eating at the big guy's dining table for the first time. This was a business trip for me, and at best it was uncomfortable to read notes or work on the laptop.
The bed was that great Westin Bed and Mattress, no chain has better, and the designers did a real good job of putting decent sized windows in the room to enjoy that view. AND there appeared to be a great pool, terrific gym though this was a 3-day business trip and i did not get to enjoy those.
The only restaurant open for dinner was Maya, high end Mexican, which may be an oxymoron. Tasted and felt like all the other mexican food i have ever eaten, quite good though, but three dinners in a row??? The hotel could certainly use some variety. All together an enjoyable place, and i will be back, but there is certainly room for improvement.

Room Tip: Don't get the room with two beds. Get the King. There is not enough room for two beds, at leas...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and are excited to welcome you back! Be sure to book a studio or one bedroom suite on your next visit as it sounds like these rooms may suit your spacial needs better. Also, you definitely to enjoy our outdoor saline pool and amazing workout facilities as you didn't get to this stay. We do have full dinner service in our lobby area as well. You can change things up and dine there one evening while listening to the live entertainment we have in the lobby every day and evening during the ski season! See you next time!
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The pros to this property are many: fantastic architecture and beautiful interiors. Excellent location in Beaver Creek. The rooms are very nice. Matt the concierge does a fantastic job. The health club and infiniti hot tubs are great. The restaurants and food on property are excellent.

Too bad the experience with the front desk does not match the overall impression one receives from the rest of the property.

I could tell right off the bat when at check-in, the front desk clerk (a young man) did not greet me. I walked up and had to ask if he was working at that time.

Though it was after 5pm and I had been guaranteed a suite several days before (as a Platinum SPG member using Suite Nights), the clerk advised that my room wasn't ready yet, though I was "welcome to store your bags with our bell desk until it's ready".

I explained that I had been traveling all day and that I couldn't understand why a room wasn't ready at 5:30pm on my date of check in. He was taken aback from my resistance and stated, "It's actually 5:11pm, not 5:30pm, and we can't help it - some guests choose to stay longer than others". He did not offer a complimentary drink in the bar while I waited.

I resolved the issue by speaking with a front desk manager who did promptly offer me a different suite in the property and though he didn't bother to change the room in his computer (causing confusion later on with the concierge and bar who still showed me checked in to the wrong room), I was pleased that I could get into a room after a long day of travel.

My flight out of town left after 5pm on my last day at the hotel, so I requested a standard 4pm check-out (an amenity that is not guaranteed at some SPG properties, but is rarely turned down for Platinum members). Imagine my surprise when the clerk (who was wearing a management shirt) explained that a late check out would not be available to me due to guests checking in that day in my reserved room. I explained that I found it unusual that I was being asked to wait until after 6pm to check IN to the hotel on my day of arrival but obligated to leave at 11am on the day I checked OUT. He said "Look, we don't want to propagate or continue this process of having guests like you having to wait for the rooms to be cleaned."

Ouch. Maybe a better management decision would have been to "catch up" on the room turns on a customer who wasn't inconvenienced at check in the first go-round?

Anyway, I realize this is not a huge problem; but I found it below a service standard that should be par for the course at a $600/nt+ resort.

Room Tip: Don't expect any favors from the front desk. Do your research up front and if it's check in...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank RobertGrunnah
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We're delighted you enjoyed all of the fantastic amenities our resort has to offer. We appreciate your feedback and loyalty as a valued Platinum SPG member and apologize your arrival experience was not par for the course. It sounds like we definitely could have provided a better experience and will utilize your feedback to improve the experience for others should a room not be ready at our standard check in time of 4:00pm in the future

Thank you again..
Reviewed January 15, 2014

Great service, convenience location and all the desired amenities. Loved Maya, the on-site Starbucks, hot tubs/heated outdoor pool, ski and boot storage and gondola right to the resort. Wonderful stay - new snow every day helped.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We're delighted to hear our staff and resort amenities were able to exceed your high expectations. We're also glad to hear you were able to enjoy all of the amazing snow we've been getting! See you again soon.
worldtravel206
Reviewed January 7, 2014

This was our 3rd stay at the Westin Riverfront. We love the experience each time. However, this time we rented from an owner (who was super helpful), but the staff is not as nice to owner's guests. You get a lovely letter upon arrival explaining what you can't do or have...there's got to be a more positive way to spin that in the beginning. Come on SPG marketing people. Just not pleasant as you walk in the door at 4 am after driving in the end of a snow storm.

One of the Concierge's Matt Keyser was SUPER PHENOMENAL. Tried so hard and succeeded at getting us to proper locations with our teenagers for New Year's eve. Had the best recommendations for dinner and activities other than skiing. He made our stay great. Make sure you speak with him. He knows his stuff.

Spa is remarkable improved. A little expensive but improved. Don't leave anything in your locker though -- it tends to get emptied out if you leave after your appointment and then come back later to enjoy steam room/sauna, etc.

Hot tubs are great treat after a day on the slopes. Kids love the pool too. Great health club/workout room. Wish they had more beginner yoga classes.

The rooms are incredibly expensive but so is the whole area.

Happy Hour drinks and wings are great! And the tacos in the bar area are better than the ones in hotel restaurant Maya.

Maya was good. Kids liked it. A variety of price points and plate sizes. Mole was great. Sangria yummy.

The Market in the morning has reasonably priced breakfast and ready to go.

We will be back -- but I am only dealing with Matt Keyser next time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for staying with us again at the Westin Riverfront! We're delighted you and your family continue to enjoy our resort. We appreciate you sharing your experience at all of our amenites such as Spa Anjali, Maya, Westin Workout and pool and hot tubs. Sounds like a fantastic vacation.

We're delighted to hear that Matt Keyser was able to help make this stay so memorable. We think he's great also and are proud he's on our team.

Our apologies if our initial presentation regarding the limitations and resctrictions staying with a non program owner unit brings with it. If you rent privately through an owner rather than through standard Starwood booking channels, you are staying in a unit that has chosen not to participate or take advantage of the Westin brand and full resort services. While their unit is located in the Westin building they are not a part of the Westin or SPG programs in any way. Westin services such as housekeeping, engineering, decor, and Service Express are not available to guests staying in these units. For example, if you need additional towels or tissue, you'll need to contact the owner off site. While I understand communicating this may add a negative aspect to your initial arrival, we feel its important everyone's expectations are in line to avoid potential escalated frustrations during the stay. Again, if you book normally through Westin and other typical booking sites you will be sure to stay with the Westin and have all services and amenities available to you. Only when booking privately with the owner on sites such as VRBO.com will this be an issue.

Thank you again and we look forward to having you back again with the Westin next time!
Jericho, NY
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Just returned from 2nd (and last) trip to Westin Riverfront as SPG Gold member. Booked room 10 months in advance and requested high floor but was denied ability ( at time of booking) of utilizing Starwood Points. Was contacted by concierge 3 days prior to arrival (nice touch) for any special requests at which time we asked only for humidifiers in both bedrooms to combat extreme dryness of rooms. At check in (11pm) was provided with 3rd (low) floor, no humidifiers (which negated nice touch of concierge contact pre arrival) and a view of the side of the hotel from our "mountain view" suite. Spoke with manager who attempted to placate me with insulting offer of free valet parking. Did I mention insulting offer of $20.00 per night for hotel's failure to provide high floor or true mountain view on Very expensive two bedroom suite?

The hotel staff is friendly, nice for kids and great for pets. Very nice ski location except if you need to go directly to ski school which is located in Beaver Creek accessible by very crowded shuttle bus, both coming and going. Intermediate and above skiers can utilize the gondola and chair lift to get directly up the mountain - which is really easy - but not near ski school and departure off the mountain needs to by Bachelor Gulch section only of mountain.

Cookies and hot chocolate at 4pm is very popular and really nice touch especially
for kids. Spa is excellent but expensive. The Lift restaurant is actually quite good and room service is actual comical in the daily change in rules, order and delivery times and ability to get orders right despite the nicest waiters who deliver the food. The property is very nice but it's not a true hotel as the units are all owned by individuals and run by a management company. Wi-fi and dryness within the rooms are brutal...called the front desk three times about horrible wifi but never received a response. In house restaurant Maya is attractive, expensive with very uneven food and incredibly long wait for food despite nice servers who spent majority of time apologizing. We had guests and it was actually embarrassing.

Westin has its virtues and it's drawbacks and it definitely is not a true Starwood resort with little to no accommodation to SPG members. Very disappointed in room given 10 months in advance reservation. Overall, what they lack or do badly, they do apologize frequently and very nicely, which is nice but would be better if they just did a better job.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Robert C
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We're glad you enjoyed certain aspects of our resort. We appreciate your feedback regarding the rest of your stay and rather than offer any further apologies, please know we will take your feedback to heart and do whatever we can to rectify any issues and improve our guest experience.
Edwards, Colorado
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stay at the Westin at least three times and year and each visit is as good, if not better than the last. We have 4 children and they always have a great time. Not to forget, the hotel is pet friendly. The heavenly dog bed is a favorite of our four legged children. They feel right at home. We rent a two bedroom with a lock off and it works perfectly for our group. We have plenty of space---Ritz, not as spacious) and the accommodations are well appointed with a kitchen and washer/dryer. The fitness center/spa and pool are all great! Valet is always helpful, sitting in the lobby by the fire is relaxing and fun. Nice restaurant on property, little cafe/market for small things...Or you can take a walk across the street for other choices. (You may want to drive if the weather is bad.) This is one of our favorite places to stay and worth every penny! Great off season pricing as well!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jennifer E
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront! We appreciate you continuing to come back and stay with us. We're delighted our rooms and amenities were able to provide another excellent experience for you and your family. We also appreciate your warm wards about our staff. See you again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
The Osprey at Beaver Creek, A RockResort
Four Seasons Resort and Residences Vail
Beaver Creek Lodge
Beaver Creek Lodge
#2 of 18 in Beaver Creek
Arrabelle at Vail Square, A RockResort
The Sebastian - Vail

Been to Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!