The pros to this property are many: fantastic architecture and beautiful interiors. Excellent location in Beaver Creek. The rooms are very nice. Matt the concierge does a fantastic job. The health club and infiniti hot tubs are great. The restaurants and food on property are excellent.
Too bad the experience with the front desk does not match the overall impression one receives from the rest of the property.
I could tell right off the bat when at check-in, the front desk clerk (a young man) did not greet me. I walked up and had to ask if he was working at that time.
Though it was after 5pm and I had been guaranteed a suite several days before (as a Platinum SPG member using Suite Nights), the clerk advised that my room wasn't ready yet, though I was "welcome to store your bags with our bell desk until it's ready".
I explained that I had been traveling all day and that I couldn't understand why a room wasn't ready at 5:30pm on my date of check in. He was taken aback from my resistance and stated, "It's actually 5:11pm, not 5:30pm, and we can't help it - some guests choose to stay longer than others". He did not offer a complimentary drink in the bar while I waited.
I resolved the issue by speaking with a front desk manager who did promptly offer me a different suite in the property and though he didn't bother to change the room in his computer (causing confusion later on with the concierge and bar who still showed me checked in to the wrong room), I was pleased that I could get into a room after a long day of travel.
My flight out of town left after 5pm on my last day at the hotel, so I requested a standard 4pm check-out (an amenity that is not guaranteed at some SPG properties, but is rarely turned down for Platinum members). Imagine my surprise when the clerk (who was wearing a management shirt) explained that a late check out would not be available to me due to guests checking in that day in my reserved room. I explained that I found it unusual that I was being asked to wait until after 6pm to check IN to the hotel on my day of arrival but obligated to leave at 11am on the day I checked OUT. He said "Look, we don't want to propagate or continue this process of having guests like you having to wait for the rooms to be cleaned."
Ouch. Maybe a better management decision would have been to "catch up" on the room turns on a customer who wasn't inconvenienced at check in the first go-round?
Anyway, I realize this is not a huge problem; but I found it below a service standard that should be par for the course at a $600/nt+ resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain is in the heart of the Vail Valley, CO and was recently named the #2 Resort US Mainland by readers of Conde Nast Traveler. The Beaver Creek hotel features direct access to skiing and year-round mountain activities. Home to Spa Anjali, named #2 Resort Spa by Conde Nast Traveler readers, relax where mother nature nurtures. Revive at Maya, a Richard Sandoval Signature restaurant due to open in June of 2013. Experience total renewal in a spacious studio suite or one, two or three bedroom condominium with breathtaking view of Beaver Creek Resort. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Starwood, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Odigeo, Agoda, Cancelon, Travelocity and Jetsetter so you can book your Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Westin Riverfront Hotel Beaver Creek
- Westin Riverfront Resort And Spa
- Westin Beaver Creek
- Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa Avon, CO - Beaver Creek