“Mixed feelings about this ski resort” 3 of 5 stars

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Avon
GreenLeadersBronze level
Dallas, TX
“Mixed feelings about this ski resort”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Overall, this is a nice place for a fair price but we do not plan to return.

SOME PROS
I used the SPG iPhone App and noticed that we were upgraded one room category to a 1 bedroom suite with full kitchen, washer dyer and mountain view before we even arrived. That was great and very much appreciated.

We booked the ski package that was a great value because it included lift tickets and ski rentals at a major discount

SOME CONS
Very far from Beaver Creek Village- you must take a 30-45 minute over-crowded shuttle that stops at numerous parking lots and other downtown locations or spend over 1 hour taking multiple ski lifts and trails. The Gondola does not go to any skiing trails but rather goes to Beaver Creek Landing where you take another lift to the slopes of Bachelor Gulch or take a very crowded bus on a long ride to the Village. This was AWFUL and I would never would have picked this resort if I had known this was such a major hassle. The hotel website is misleading on this important point so be warned if you think the Gondola offers any convenience.

Front desk staff were uninformed about various room configurations and unwilling to help upgrade our room (I was willing to pay more to upgrade to a deluxe 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom or use points) claiming the hotel was sold out when the web site showed all room categories were available. I pulled up the Westin website to show the front desk associate the room I wanted was available for all 4 nights and she said her computer did not show that as being available. I then showed her other rooms that were available on the SPG Ap and she said I could cancel my reservation and rebook another room at full price. I never had that response before so said forget it. I am not sure how you can work at the front desk of a hotel and not know about various room choices and why you would not be willing to help someone pay more to upgrade. Frankly, she was more concerned with what time I was checking OUT (5 days later! Not something I was thinking about when first arriving) and why I was not taking the insulting offer of $5 to forgo housekeeping to help them be more environmentally friendly.

The concierge gave me misleading information about where I could purchase lift tickets. She said I needed to take the bus all the way to the Village but I figured out I could take the Gondola to Beaver Creek Landing and save myself an hour of travel time. I would think a concierge should know this.

No boot warmers at the Ski Valet even though this is promoted on their website. I put on cold and damp boots each morning and asked the ski valet why they were not dry and he said he had no idea because they are on racks with *cold* air but they do not own any boot warmers and had no idea what I was talking about. If you go to the website now it says they have boot warmers. Hmm?

Very slowwwww internet- unusable most of the time
Teen club 7160 is no longer in existence despite being advertised on the Web site and the hotel flyer I was given at check in. This is one reason I picked this resort since I have 2 teenagers so this was big disappointment. Note to Westin- if you cancel programs, please upgrade your marketing materials.

The pull out sofa bed was terrible- the thin mattress and hard bar in the center made it too painful to use. By contrast

Room Tip: North corner rooms on the back side have the best view of Beaver Creek Mountain, rooms facing the ba...
Green Features: It is not worth $5 or 5000 SPG points to forgo housekeeping to help them be more environmentally friendly
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lara A
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your room and were able to be upgraded.

Our apologies if you felt misled from our website. We try to be as transparent as possible and while we are not ski in/ski out, feel our central location provides many advantages to our guests. Our gondola does indeed take you to Beaver Creek Landing. From there you have two options, you can jump on the Lower Beaver Creek Express lift and being skiing in under 5 minutes (the length of time it takes to get to the top of that lift), or you can jump on the Beaver Creek Parking lot shuttle system. From the Landing, the main Beaver Creek Village is the next stop which also takes under 5 minutes. There is also a complimentary shuttle system provided by the town of Avon which picks up across the street from the Westin. From our pickup location, there is one other stop before you get dropped off at the main Beaver Creek Village in under 10 minutes.

Our apologies also for any confusion with your upgrade attempt at check in as well as the lift ticket information provided by our concierge. You are absolutely right in that both areas should be more informed and better prepared to assist you. We value your feedback and be assured our teams will utilize it to improve.

Thank you also for catching the details on our website regarding ski valet and teen club. We have boot driers but do not indeed have boot warmers. As many ski boots today have custom insoles, we are not able to to apply heat to them as this will ruin that customization. We keep all boots on the room temperature drying racks so they aren't wet on your next adventurous day of skiing. We are correcting both details immediately.

Thank you again for all of your feedback and we hope to see you again with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Harrison, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We just returned from a week at the Westin Beaver Creek. The staff was excellent. Friendly and helpful from the valet to the front desk and beyond. The gym was large and diverse. The hotel is a short gondola ride to the lift and is not really ski-in, but is convenient. The hotel is close to the town and supermarket. We liked it so much we are planning to stay again next year.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We're very glad you enjoyed our resort and all it has to offer. We can't wait to have you back next year!
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Booked this property the day of stay, Thanksgiving week. Tried to use upgrades via telephone and at front desk during check-in. Was told two different stories as to why they didn't apply. We settled on a junior suite at best available rate, but didn't meet wife's expectations. She called manager from room and explained my status, available upgrades, and his comment was; you should have been upgraded to a full suite without using upgrades at check-in. Pretty frustrating. I am highest status with SPG. Rest of the stay was as expected, very good.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. Please accept our apologies for any confusion experienced during your booking and arrival process regarding an upgraded room type. Per SPG guidelines, appropriate upgrades are provided to Gold and Platinum members based upon availability at the time of arrival. Any upgrades requested prior to arrival would need to be reserved at the rate for that room type. As a destination resort, we are often fully booked and it is difficult for us to provide upgrades at the time of arrival.. As such we recommend to all of our valued Gold and Platinum members to book the room type that best suits their needs to ensure the best stay possible.

Having said that, as a Platinum member, if an upgraded room type is available at the time of your arrival you are entitltled to that upgrade. Again, our apologies if this was missed and for any other confusion in that process.

We appreciate you staying with us and we're glad you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay.
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2013

I stayed at this hotel in December. The hotel is nice but room was not clean. The bath walls was covered in .....you don't want to know. I asked house keeping to come clean the room and the arrived at a time when we were still getting ready so I asked them to come back. They did not come back and didn't even clean the room the next day. Also, food was over cooked and not that great. Avoid

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
2 Thank Amy A
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We appreciate your feedback and are disappointed to see we were not able to meet your expectations this stay. We apologize for any housekeeping issues you experienced. I would value the opportunity to discuss these details further in person. At your convenience, please reach out to me directly at 970-790-2066.
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

My fifth visit to the Westin was as good as the previous four. Great staff, views, restaurants, and accommodations. My room had a kitchenette, a pullout sofa, king-size bed, and a fireplace. A large spacious bathroom was very nice. There is a skilifts directly to beaver Creek ski area. Plenty of other restaurants are in the Avon Colorado area in the vicinity of the hotel. The physical fitness facility in the hotel is second to none.

Room Tip: Recommend a view not overlooking the outdoor heated pool. Mountain views are more scenic.
Green Features: You can get reward points for skipping service on your room daily.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for staying with us again at the Westin Riverfront. We're glad to hear you experience continues to be great! We're looking forward to number 6!
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I stayed here the first week of December for our 30th wedding anniversary, and I have to say that our stay could not have been better! The staff was absolutely first rate, friendly and attentive to anything we needed. I would like to call out special attention to Matt, the concierge we talked to regarding what restaurants to go to and setting up reservations for snowmobiling. He couldn't have been more helpful. Overall, our stay was great and I would recommend this Westin to anyone looking for an awesome place to stay if you're going to ski at Beavercreek.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your special occasion with us at the Westin Riverfront. We're delighted to hear our staff were able to help make your stay so memorable. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you back for your 31st!
Covington, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

One of my favorite hotels! Rooms are fabulous. I love the in room fireplace, the spa, the multiple hot tubs outside, free hot chocolate in the evening, etc. Gondola makes it a ski in ski out location. It is a little more convenient to stay in beaver creek village, but i haven't found a property this nice within.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Christina P
We're delighted to hear our resort's amenities and features made your ski trip so enjoyable. We're honored to be on your favorites list!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Pines Lodge, A RockResort
5.0 of 5 stars 1,121 reviews
The Sebastian - Vail
The Osprey at Beaver Creek, A RockResort
Arrabelle at Vail Square, A RockResort

Been to Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!