“Stunning Property and Amenities” 5 of 5 bubbles

Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Avon
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Stunning Property and Amenities”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I'm a recent SPG Platinum and booked a 5 night award stay on points (5th night free). I called a few days before asking about possible upgrades and they said I could confirm an upgrade to a 1 bedroom suite for $100/night. Given we knew we'd be paying $25/night for valet parking and $20/night for resort fees, we didn't want to pay more for our "free" award stay.

So we took our chances and the morning of check in, my SPG app showed a 1 bedroom suite with a mountain view. Aside from the extra space, we had a full kitchen (stocked with every cooking pot and utensil you can imagine) as well as a washer/dryer in the room.

Note: there was a connecting door to a second room, so I think my 1 bedroom suite would be same livingroom/kitchen as the 2 Bedroom suite.

You can read from the other reviews about the hotel rooms and resort amenities. Some suggestions for families:

- Summer rates are very attractive ($159/night for traditional rooms using the AAA rate), but I hear that November (before Thxgvg) is the low season so probably better rates then too.

- The Safeway on I-70 between Vail and Avon is a bit cheaper than the City Market in the Avon Village area. Sign up for the Safeway membership card and save some $ on groceries.

- Self parking is $15 if you're a Villas (timeshare) member. They say that it's "like $50/night" if you self park w/o being a member, but I didn't test that out.

- The on site market has most things you'd want (think 7-11) but they're priced at a premium as you'd expect.

- Westin Green Choice is 1000 SPG points / night if you reserve this at check in, but only 500 if you decide the night before.

- Housekeeping does a decent job, but they have so many rooms to clean that I'm sure most homemakers will find a lot of room for improvement. My homemaker did!

- There's a ton of families with kids so it's very accommodating for families, including a Westin Kids Club (but your child needs to be 5 years old to attend).

Hours
- Saturday-Thursday: 9AM-5PM
- Friday-Saturday: 9AM-5PM and 6PM-9PM
- 24 Hour Reservations Required

Prices (per child)
- $95 for All Day (4-8 hours)
- $55 for 3 Hour Sessions
- $24 per Hour
- $10 for Picnic Style Lunch

Also, I'll tell you about the SPG Villas Sales Presentation. For 90 minutes of my time, they offered 11,000 SPG points or $175 Amex Gift Card. Since I know how to optimize the SPG points, I took the points. However, I needed to attend the presentation with my wife for the points.

The sales pitch was very low pressure and actually very interesting. In terms of programs, the Starwood Villas is much more interesting than the others I've attended. Instead of getting "a room for 1 week somewhere," you instead get StarOption (points) that you can use as currency for any of their 19 properties with costs varying based on time of year (high/low season) and room size (studio, 1 BR, 2 BR). That being said, the Starwood Villas program not as broad in terms of # of properties around the world. If you wanted, you could convert your StarOptions to regular SPG points, but after doing the math, I didn't want to prepay $15-50k for a perpetual stream of SPG points. I can earn them for free by staying at Starwood or spending on my SPG Amex.

My 11k points haven't posted yet (it's been about a week), but I'm sure they will.

Room Tip: I was told I had a mountain/river view room but it really faced the front/side of the hotel (corner...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Songer5
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Congratulations on your recent Platinum SPG status and thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We're glad you were able to get your upgrade and are delighted you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

We just spent 5 nights at the Westin Riverfront. We had a mountain view king and the accommodations were excellent! Incredible weather, great hiking and biking and great service all around. The Mexican restaurant in the resort (Maya) is exceptional and a real value (as was the room). Tony, the valet is deserving of special mention. He recommended a free concert at the Gerald Ford amphitheater in Vail. What a great evening! Thanks Tony!! Starbucks just across the street is a great place for breakfast..

Room Tip: Get a mountain view king and request a balcony with outside seating.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront! We're very pleased to hear you had such a great experience at our resort. We also appreciate your kudos to Tony and hope to see you again soon.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

Impressive. Clean. Excellent staff. Hotel is modern and rooms were very clean. Front desk staff was also very curteous and professional. IMO, this is one of the best Westin properties.

The outdoor party at Maya w/ live music was fun!

• Stayed August 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We're delighted to hear you enjoyed our resort and appreciate you sharing your opinion on Trip Advisor.
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

We stayed at the Westin Riverfront for 3 nights. We opted for a 1 bedroom residential suite for our family of 4. Very spacious and elegantly appointed. Washer/ Dryer came in very handy! Staff was super friendly from the front desk to the concierge! Great location too! My only issue with the Westin is the fact that they make you valet park your car at $25 per night. This is to avoid day users (which there are many in the winter for skiing) The response from the front desk upon check out was "well, you could do it yourself for twice that" which was the wrong way to respond. And the nightly fee does not include the many tips we gave the valet staff each time the retrieved our car. I understand the resort fee of $20 per night - but they should either charge a little more resort fee for hotel guests to cover the valet parking or give you the option up front. Also- the bars close way too early! The lobby bar closed around 9:30 pm and the bar at the Maya restaurant closed around 10:00pm. We did not dine in the restaurants on property, but we did pick up breakfast options at the store for our kids, and one night got the kids room service and we went to dinner off site. Also - the best deal was the S'more kit for $15.00 which was more than enough for nightly dessert out on the deck around the fire pit! My husband and I also opted for the tour and sales pitch for the vacation villas as we are Starwood Preferred Guests . Not a hard sell - and it was quite tempting but we ulitmately decided not to go for it.

Room Tip: Our room was lovely, but overlooked the Burger King. Ask for a room with a view.
Green Features: We opted for the additional SPG points to just have towels changed and not a full room clean each day.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We're glad to hear your family enjoyed their visit with us. S'mores on the front patio is always a good end to the night. We appreciate your feedback regarding parking and appologize for any inconvenience from the bar closing. Thank you again and we hope to see you back soon!
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2013

If you are traveling anywhere near Vail, Co. this property is where you need to stay.
It is close enough to everything and this property is second to none.
The staff is very welcoming and helpful and the resort is comfortable beyond belief.
Very well appointed and extremely clean with magnificent views.
Fitness facility, pool and spa are top notch.
Perfect location for families, romantic getaways or business travel.
Something for everyone.
You immediately feel on holiday when you arrive!

Room Tip: I highly recommend the one bedroom suites. The kitchen and living room and views were very well app...
Green Features: Great program and it was extra nice to receive Starwood points for doing the right thing in the first place. It is wonderful that the Westin is so mindful about being green!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Lucas B, Manager at Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We appreciate you sharing your experience on Trip Advisor and posting such a wonderful review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you back on holiday again soon!
southern california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

The fitness center is the high point of this hotel. It takes up an entire floor and includes an outdoor lap pool, a very large cardio room, weights, a pilates room, and more. The staff is excellent and attentive. Everything was taken care of for us including luggage delivery and valet parking. There are some nontrivial charges. For example there is no way to self park, instead one must use the valet at a somewhat expensive price. We booked a room with two double beds and it was not terribly large - a pretty standard hotel room. But the finishings were very nice. The central AC in the room worked very well. The gym was a bit hot but there was a large oscillating fan that could be used in the cardio room. We did not eat at the hotel as there are many nice restaurants in the area. The location is great.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront. We're pleased to hear you enjoyed our state of the art Westin Workout facility We're proud to have such above average facilities for our guests to preserve wellness while they travel.
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

I simply cannot say enough positive things about the Westin Riverfront. I stayed at this property for several weeks while recovering from surgery at the nearby Steadman Clinic. The property is great, but the staff is what sets it apart.

I cannot begin to express how amazing the staff is here. Not only were they exceptionally friendly, but they were genuine and sincere in a way that I have seldom experienced elsewhere. They genuinely care for their guests here. I felt like they really looked out for me during my stay with them. They consistently went out of their way to make sure that I was OK and had everything that I needed. I hesitate to name particular individuals because I know that I am probably leaving someone out, but Randi, Brenda, Kimberly, and Carl at the front desk were especially great. The entire valet service deserves recognition. Being on crutches, I appreciated their kindness in helping me with the doors and helping me take things up to my room. They were also helpful with directions and giving advice on things in the area to check out. The staff alone makes this a great place to stay.

I stayed in a one bedroom suite for 6 weeks. It had everything that you could want, including a nicer kitchen than I have in my house. Housekeeping refilled the Starbucks coffee, tea, and cups every morning. That was a nice touch, as was having a washer and dryer in the room. The bedroom and bathroom are very nice and spacious. It was like having a small condo with the conveniences of staying in a hotel. In my opinion, upgrading to a mountain view was worth it. The views were amazing. There are plenty of nice common spaces with comfortable chairs and a fireplace off of the lobby to sit and read or people watch. There are plenty of free newspapers and books to read too. The fitness facility is the nicest one in a hotel that I have ever seen. A paved bike path also runs directly in front of the hotel. It is within walking distance of a grocery tore, Starbucks, and several restaurants. I was worried about staying in Avon and having to drive to Vail everyday, but it was not a big deal at all.

Between the gracious staff and beautiful property, the Westin Riverfront definitely felt like a home away from home.

Green Features: It is a great option to be able to skip housekeeping for a day and get a $5 voucher for the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for staying with us at the Westin Riverfront and for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. We appreciate the all the warm words and praise you had for our staff. We're very proud of our team because we know they are proud to provide experiences such as yours. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Avon
The Ritz-Carlton, Bachelor Gulch
The Charter at Beaver Creek
The Charter at Beaver Creek
#8 of 18 in Beaver Creek
Park Hyatt Beaver Creek Resort and Spa

Been to Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!