“Don't bother - very over priced for what you get.”
Review of The Crown

The Crown
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I stumbled on the pub whilst driving past on our way back to the West Midlands after a lovely weekend at the county fair and I was attracted by the sign outside saying they had won a food award back in 2010.
The pub was fine and the sign outside boasted of a special offer of £15 for a 2 course Sunday lunches or £20 for a 3 course lunch from 12-5pm
My hubby went to the bar to order the food at about 4.00 and was told that there was only 2 meat options available, and not 5 choices as per the menu so we both chose the lamb.
He also ordered a soda water and half a pint of beer and was charged £32.

When he came back to the table I assumed he'd been charged for 2 x 2 courses so was looking forward to the advertised choice of deserts, the lunch was extremely average I thought, 2 slices of lamb each which was quite fatty, big burnt Yorkshire pudding, under cooked veg and really pale roast potatoes which were still quite hard.

I didn't moan as it was ok and I thought if its 2 course then it's not bad.
When no dessert turned up I went to order another drink and asked what we'd been charged for, he said it was £14.95 each for the one course, so I said we wanted the 2 courses for £15 and he said they stopped doing that offer at 2.30, I felt abit annoyed as it didn't say this anywhere, I even checked the menu on the wall again outside and nothing.

While we were there about 3 other couples came in asking about lunch and they were told it was finished for the day (the last couple arrived at about 4.30, I just don't think they could be bothered, definitely not worth half the money we paid, and I left feeling abit cheated, not somewhere I would recommend at all.

Got the impression the staff just couldn't wait to clock off, wasn't made to feel welcome at all.

1  Thank Jayne07

Reviewed July 27, 2013

Having given a review when this pub was part of Kiwi Inns I was interested to see what a recent change in ownership brings - and delighted to see at last a good selection of beers and wines all reasonably priced. You felt that you were walking into a pub with food rather than a 'restaurant' that served a token offering of beer. The menu is currently under review but the chicken and bacon salad and hot beef roll certainly came up to par - very tasty. We will be returning!

Reviewed July 27, 2013

A lovely old English pub with a good choice of beers and a traditional pub menue of very good food at reasonable prices. We had the ploughmans; ham as it used to be; thick cut and fatless. Tasty local Norfolk cheese and lots of trimmings in the way of pickle, bread (very fresh and oven baked). We had to try the cream brulee which was sensational; probably the best we have had outside of France.

Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

We arrived to a almost full car park and a picturesque village scene, we walk into a great atmosphere & were extremely impressed by the food(if you sick of mountains of fried up pub grub, this is for you) but when we finished our mains it took a long time to get the attention of a waiter to clear and by the time we got a dessert menu the pub was close to shutting.
Can knock the food, but just keep on top of the service.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

We stayed at the Crown Inn for a night - glad it was no longer as it's on the main road from Lynn to Cromer and traffic woke us up at any time of night. The room was good but we had to have the windows open as it was hot. There was a thick duvet on the bed which we had to wrestle with to remove and a small fan was provided which was hardly adequate. Oh yes - I found a packet of roll-your own tobacco in the bedside table - nice touch?!Made a change from Gideon Bibles!
We had dinner - the starters were all good but not a lot of them - the mains were OK - the duck legs and pork belly got great approval but pity about the sea bass - a tiny portion swimming in a sweet sickly sauce that wasn't mentioned on the menu - the menu said it came with saffron potatoes and samphire - not much of that in evidence though!The desserts were excellent and so was breakfast the next morning. The staff were very friendly and helpful but we were told a new company had taken over recently since when profits were up - yes, room prices raised by £20 and small portions served. They'll have to do better if they want to continue to attract custom.