“Disappointed - poor value and service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Crown Inn

and 1 more site!
The Crown Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 East Rudham B&B and Inns
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Disappointed - poor value and service.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2011

Were recommended to this Inn by the B&B we were staying in. The menu was very much like a restaurant, and quite expensive for a 'pub'. Unfortunately our attention was not drawn to the specials board and we may have liked to have ordered from that. Main course portions were small and we were waiting for vegetables to be brought to the table - that didn't happen! The rest of the meal was quite tasty but a complaint about the meat was not handled properly. Service was mediocre. Unfortunately we were disappointed as it was overpriced and was the poorest meal of our week away.

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Publovers

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2011

Booked a Sunday Bed, Breakfast and Dinner deal for my wife and I, at the start of a 6 night UK break around Eastern / Southern England, staying in different Inns / Hotels each night.
Accommodation great, staff great, food fantastic, room great.
Probably the best stay in terms of value and quality we`ve booked so far.
Only problem was that all the other places we stayed were not as good as The Crown!
Thanks to all the staff for making it such an enjoyable experience.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Barnet, Herts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2011

Went to the Crown Inn for Dinner. Looked very nice when we walked in but after waiting 45 minutes for our main courses and then to get the smallest portion did not go down to well. Think they only have one chef in the kitchen and about six teenagers as waitresses who all stood huddled around the bar all night chatting. During our 45 minute wait for our main course not once did any of the 6 waitresses apologies for the delay (There was only 8 people in there eating so wasnt a busy night) We had to attend the bar to order more drinks ans the waitresses were too busy talking to each other. Deserts took 30 minutes to arrive from them collecting our plates which was ridiculous! However the bill arrived within a minute of asking for it. All in all a joke and will not be reattending.

Room Tip: stay away
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Muffin83
Swanage, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2011

Well, we just got back from a night out I had been really looking forward to since we arrived up here for our holiday. I'd looked into the Kiwi Pubs with great interest and found the idea of a small, dedicated and 'different' pub 'chain' from proper chefs really inspiring and interesting. Definately somewhere I wanted to try.

Unfortunately, although I'm glad I went, I wouldn't go back to The Crown, nor try any of the other pubs in the company after such a disappointing night...

I'm almost sorry to leave a bad review as I really wanted this place to be good...

After a little country drive from Hunstanton, we arrived in Rudham to a nice big green, overlooked by a nice, clean, almost freshly painted pub, surrounded by new, stylish potted bushes, a nice little gravel outside area for smokers and umbrellas. Indside the pub itself was a large, open-plan bar, plenty of tables, a few booth areas and a nice crowd of locals gathered at the bar. I think there was some new staff being trained as they seemed a little lost serving our drinks, not in a bad way, just in a "where's this, where's that" kind of way. We were told, not shown, where our table was, which when we sat down amongst a sea of wine glasses and water glasses, we were given complimentary tortilla chips and humous. A nice touch, if a little bland, preferring to use spice and heat to compensate for that cumin, chickpea richness I'm used to... So far so good.

Starters ordered, we were asked if we'd like wine, we said no and so the glasses were taken away. We weren't offered water at any point during the night and so the glasses littered the table like we'd been drinking there all day... No big thing, but would've been nice to have the offer. If only to justify the glasses being there.

I had the Local Lamb Merguez Sausage with Couscous and Harissa, which, was nice, but underseasoned and, to be honest, little more than greasy lamb. Perhaps importing an authentic Merguez would be better... Two people I was with had the Butter King Prawns with Avocado Puree, which was little better, the prawns were large and juicy but they only got three atop a rather grey-looking avocado puree - clearly not fresh. My partner had the Asparagus, which was nicely done, simple, wrapped in parma ham but seriously overdressed with some sort of balsamic balsamic dressing. The final person in our party had the Pork Rillettes with Chutney and Toast...

Now what happened next would earn my Second Chef a proper bollocking... Not only were the Rillettes merely a thick, uneven wedge of cold, unseasoned, greying Pork Terrine with chutney which could've (and probably did) come from a bog-standard food supplier 1 Litre Container, but the cling film was still on the 'Rillette'...

We received no check-back during our starter so we couldn't bring this to the attention of our waitress until the table was cleared...after a little too long of a wait as we were in plain sight of where the staff were gathering to chat and drink various coffees, juices and soft drinks throughout the night. When we did get to tell someone about the cling film, we were apologised to, and told that she would tell the Chef... and then it was never mentioned again... We didn't get any kind of apology from the manager, no complimentary Dessert, drink, none of the standard 'Industry' "Whoops we messed up here have a free..." apology tricks... We later found out it hadn't even been taken off the bill.

By now I knew they'd get little more than 3 stars out of 5 on here...

Whilst waiting for our mains, we had the chance to look around us at the pub itself, which was nice on arrival, but once you start to look into things a little more, the cracks begin to appear, mainly in our table which was a large, gorgeous looking wooden slab, all knotted and damaged, classic Gastropub Chic... only the huge crack was full of old food.
We were next to a large book case full of old, country-pub style dusty books, which from a distance looked great but up close, looked like they'd been dumped on shelves fresh from a car boot sale... perhaps a little harsh as we were in a pub, not a library, but at least base the collection on Norfolk, or food, or anything relating to, well, anything really... not just knackered encyclopedias.

Anyway, once our mains arrived, we tucked in, I had the Confit Pork Belly with Apple Sauce, Carrot Puree, Brocolli, Jus & Crackling... Dry, stringy pork, undercooked Brocolli, the puree was little more than shop-bought Apple Sauce run through a food processor. My Jus was over-reduced and acrid tasting. Nice Carrots, nice Carrot Puree but in need of a touch of butter to add a shine and the crackling was crispy, but dangerously over-salted. My father had the lamb which he was pleased with but found to be very fatty and had to severely season to get anything out of, my mum had the Ribeye which was good, my sister the Chicken Breast with Butternut Squash Risotto, again nice but I could've sworn the Chicken has some sort of satay sauce on it once upon a time... dangerous if she'd have been allergic... though I may be wrong (and hope I am). Another of our party had the Pork, and again had the same view as me, my partner has the Crab, Crayfish and Tarragon Linguini... which turned out to be without Tarragon but had plenty of Parsley... but hey, it's green isn't it?

By this point, I was really quite dispondant, and with no table check throughout our entire meal, no water offer, cling film, poor food, barely warm, and the fact that sat next to us was a table with two dogs... I'm sure you can appreciate where I'm coming from.

Dessert: Last Chance Saloon... Three of our party didn't even want to bother based on the first two courses, I thought I'd try the £5.95 Orange Sponge with Vanilla Creme Anglais... as did the other two in our party... Whilst we waited for our dessert a Chef was milling around behind the bar, looking way too clean and relaxed to be concentrating on the now-busy pub, the (what we believe to be the Assisstant Manager) and him even found time to sneak off, perhaps for a smoke, perhaps not, whlist we waited... mind you, what came to our table probably didn't need much in the way of attention anyway...

A decent sized sponge, standard pudding bowl shape, with three segments of orange and Anglais... Barely warmed from the microwave, sauce splitting already, orange that tasted of parsley (comman when knives aren't kept clean...just sayin') with a distinct lack of sugar in the mix...

I feel safe saying it was homemade as if you bought that in, at least the taste would've been there...

Microwaved bread rolls, which I don't think were fresh today, but to be fair they weren't claimed to be... That's about it...

Reading this back, it would seem that I'd had a terrible night, which isn't the case, the food is better than most 'Ping Ding' Pub-Grub outlets...but how it won 'Norfolk Food Pub of The Year 2010' is seemingly beyond me... With so much more than this on offer in the surrounding areas, I'd suggest looking elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, they've got a great product, branded shirts, interestingly written menus, many tricks of the trade and stylish 'Upcoming Events' including the 'Lad' themed Beers, Cooking Lessons & Dinner evening... A great building, if you like, but built on crumbling foundations.

Sort the little things out, get them perfect, then expand.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank darko316
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2011

Booked in as a group of eight of us for a visit to nearby Thursford at Christmas. Warmly welcomed by the young and thoroughly professional staff. Rooms a little small but beautifully clean and bathrooms well equipped. Ate that evening at their sister hotel, the Ship at Brancaster, which was equally brilliant if not slightly better! Both are owned by Flying Kiwi Hotels and I honestly cannot remember a better experience of staying in a hotel, particularly at the very reasonable rates they charge.

• Stayed May 2011
Lincolnshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2011

We were extremely disappointed with this restaurant. Although the food was nicely presented, the vegetables were scarce on the plate( all three beans, 2 pieces of sliced carrot) and it was served barely warm. We all considered it was overpriced for a pub!! We were misled with the mixture of menus that were available and found it confusing and were told that the sunday menu would be better value and it actually was not.

Although there were alot of staff, the service was generally poor.

I am sorry to say this but honestly you can only afford to go if you are a city earner.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank sugaraunty
norfolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2011

We went here for a meal so cant comment on the rooms. As we walkin the first thing we noticeed that is was warm and there seemed a nice atmospher, we had a drink at the bar and told where our talbe was and there was no pressure for us to be seated. the food order was taken and didnt seem long before the starters came, the food was well presented and hot and of good quality, there was a slight hic up with our mains we orderd ribeye and was given sirloin but that was soon rectified. overall nice evening and good food and we will return. there was 4 of us and we all had starters, mains and some had a sweet, coffee, two bottles of wine and lots of drinks £295

Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
#1 of 2 in Great Bircham
The Lifeboat Inn
The Lifeboat Inn
#1 of 5 in Thornham

Been to The Crown Inn? Share your experiences!