“Quiet, clean and affordable” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Stellarton - New Glasgow

Holiday Inn Express Stellarton - New Glasgow
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stellarton
Toronto, Canada
“Quiet, clean and affordable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Needed a clean and quiet hotel for a one night stay in this charming little town. The Holiday Inn Express did not let me down. The rooms were very large and clean. Nothing over the top, but the beds were comfortable, and the complimentary breakfast in the morning was a nice touch.

I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Bowlth
Mark H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stellarton - New Glasgow, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Bowlth,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with the Holiday Inn Express Stellarton Hotel. It is with our guest comments that we can better serve our guests. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our complimentary hot breakfast.

Mark H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for one night on business. Good hotel with nice clean rooms. There was a drinking water advisory, so the clerks provided bottled water for brushing teeth and there were water coolers in the dining area for drinking water. The complimentary breakfast buffet in the morning was good, and the only thing bad I can say about the hotel was that it is close to the highway, so some of the rooms can hear the traffic. I would definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Sam W,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Stellarton Hotel. We appreciate hearing all of our guests comments. We appreciate your understanding with the "water boil advisory" in our area. It was nice to hear you enjoyed our hot breakfast.

Stellarton, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Got there 30 minutes before check in and they could not get me in, but could get the five different people in ahead of me. Which sucks but it's not check in time yet. But then they couldn't even tell me if someone was doing my room or not. No one would check. I told them to call when it was ready. Got a call at 5:00. Two hours after check in. They weren't even friendly or helpful. That wasn't good but maybe acceptable if it wasn't for everything else. Then my door keys didn't work almost every time I went to use them. On top of that, my wifi wouldn't work on any of my devices, suddenly, and they made me call a number which put me on hold for 20 minutes just for them to tell me that the hotel doesn't have servers to handle all the people. All of this would have been okay if the front desk was trying to do something helpful or at the very least, pleasant.

• Stayed October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear Sam W,

Thank you for taking the time to post a comment on your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Stellarton Hotel. I want to assure you that I will be looking into all your comments and striving to ensure these types of issues never happen again. I invite you to call me directly so that Holiday Inn Express Stellarton so we can discuss your past stay here. This is not our normal service to our guests and we strive to make all guests happy.
We hope we can serve you again in the future.

Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Have stayed here numerous times when travelling to and from Cape Breton, to the best of my knowledge it is the newest Hotel/Motel north of the Halifax Airport when enroute to CB.
As others have said this is a pretty typical newer HIE however I have had more issues with recent stays than in the previous 2 years, not sure if management has changed?
Negatives - Even the CAA rate seems pretty steep to me for rural NS e.g. as much as the HIE or Hilton Garden by the airport but after trying the Country Inn once (room and halls reeked of cigarette smoke) I keep coming back to HIE, not sure about the Comfort Inn across the highway but it looks older as well.
My most recent stay was in room 327 and if there's someone above you in 427 you will definitely hear them if you are a light sleeper. There are a fair number of contract workers that stay at this hotel and most of them are up quite early so unless you want to get up at 5:00AM with them, even on a Saturday morning, you might want to bring earplugs just in case your room is beside or below one of theirs. I'm not complaining about these guests or the hours they have to work, just the hotels sound-proofing.
This trip I also had to stuff a towel under the door when a group were in the hall around midnight, they were just talking normally and saying goodnight but the gap under the door (pic attached) is enough that you can certainly hear anyone in the hall - they need to install some kind of trim on the bottom of the door. I don't recall having this issue with other rooms in the past.
The staff seem nice enough however when I mentioned the noise issues when checking out there was no offer to compensate me in any way. Not that I asked for anything but as an example the manager at a Hilton Garden Inn in NYC put enough points in my account to cover a 1 night stay just because their internet was down for 2 hours, I had not asked for anything, she just did it.
2 items made me question how well my room might have been cleaned 1) there was a half empty bottle of water in the fridge so obviously it wasn't checked, and 2) the plastic cutlery package by the coffee machine had been opened and partly used.
Lastly I would say that the breakfast buffet can be hit and miss and this time the scrambled eggs (tasted like powdered) and sausage were a huge miss - ugh, I've had better quality food from a hospital vending machine.
Positives - good location, comfortable beds, various rooms types for single travelers or families, the building has never been smoked in, decent little gym and a good size pool with slide for the kids if travelling with family. Again I don't think there are any other hotels in the north-east part of the province that offer all of these things combined, closest comparable I think would be Truro.

Room Tip: ask for top floor away from the elevator if you want the best shot at a quiet room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Bluenoser321,

We were so sorry to read you comment on your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express Stellarton Hotel. I as the General Manager appreciated speaking with you to discuss your notes and want to assure you that this is not our typical quality of service to any of our guests. We have taken all of your comments and we have acted on all of them to better serve all of our guests.
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your recent stay, and hope we can serve you again in the future to show that we are a property of choice for everyone coming to our area.

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed one night in this hotel before taking the ferry to PEI the next morning. It's a newer hotel so everything is pretty nice. The staff was helpful and friendly. The room was quiet except for hearing the door across the hall open and close but otherwise it was fine. The bedding was very nice and the bed was comfortable. I love a good AC and it worked well! The location is great - close to the ferry and the highway to Cape Breton or Halifax.

The only negative was the wifi didn't work very well. It started off fine but then sputtered later in the evening. I just left it be because it was bed time. Then the next morning it worked well.

Overall it's a good stay and I'm assuming the wifi was an anomaly.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mark H, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stellarton - New Glasgow, responded to this review, October 17, 2013
Hello Heather D, thanks so much for taking a moment to let us know you enjoyed your stay, we certainly appreciate it. There's nothing better than a comfy bed and a chilly nose, it's the perfect combination! I'll be sure to share your comments with our staff, they never get tired of hearing how wonderful they are! Hope to see you again soon, Mark H. General Manager
Montreal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Visiting a new customer in Stellarton, so stayed over night at this relatively new HIE. Clean, modern, with all the amenities you need. Right off the main highway in this tiny town. Free parking, wifi, and breakfast. Although it's new construction, you can still open the windows in your room. I like the fact that I can get fresh air in my room instead of being sealed in and forced to turn on the AC. Front desk was polite and professional. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank canuck64
MeganDel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stellarton - New Glasgow, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear canuck64,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with the Holiday Inn Express Hotel Stellarton-New Glascow.
It is from all of our guest comments that we are able to ensure the best service to everyone. Our Hot Breakfast, as you noted, is a great feature that we are very proud of and find very popular.
I will ensure everyone here gets to read your kind comments on our polite and professional staff.

pubnico nova scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

very clean, excellent staff, great for families, close to wellness centre which has pool, ice surface, gymnasium, close to subway which offers yoga, we were there for hockey school, receptionist let us check out 1 hour later with no charge

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank pubnicoers
MeganDel, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Stellarton - New Glasgow, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Pubnicoers,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Holiday Inn Express Hotel in Stellarton.
Everyone here enjoys hearing that a guest enjoyed their stay. We all take pride in this property and our pool/hot tub and waterslide are always enjoyed by hockey teams.

Mark H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stellarton
Travelodge Suites New Glasgow
#2 of 3 in Pictou
Customs House Inn
Customs House Inn
#7 of 12 in Pictou

Been to Holiday Inn Express Stellarton - New Glasgow? Share your experiences!