“Marvellous B&B”

Ashdene House
Ranked #1 of 8 Dersingham B&B and Inns
“Marvellous B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

Very difficult to find twin-bedded rooms in Norfolk apparently? There are two such rooms in this lovely house - and you get a welcome that's second to none! Annette and Gill are very friendly and knowledgeable about the local area and nothing was too much trouble for these two lovely sisters. We were met with tea and cake on arrival and then shown to our lovely, clean, comfortable room. Lovely breakfasts with delicious home-made bread and granola were a speciality. The rooms had everything necessary for a comfortable stay and were very clean and freshly decorated. Definitely the nicest, friendliest B&B we've ever stayed in!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Margaret K

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is by far the best B&B I have stayed in! Upon arrival I was greeted warmly by Gill and shown around. There is a comfy lounge, nice garden and very pleasant breakfast rooms with a microwave and a fridge with fresh milk for tea or coffee (although there are still little plastic containers containing milk in the room), so the guests are at liberty to warm up something to eat if they so wish, rather than going out.
I felt the difference to other B&Bs is the personal touch - introductions felt less like a formality and more like Gill and Annette really wanted to get to know me.
The room was beautiful and very comfortable. I am quite picky about the amenties in hotel rooms and B&Bs (I travel a lot) and I can honestly say everything was just right. The decor was lovely and fresh, the room tidy and clean and the bathroom, though small, had all I needed and was very tastefully decorated also. The bed was so comfortable I struggled to make myself get out of it in the morning for breakfast.
Breakfast was a very pleasant affair also - I liked that the tables were laid out for specific guests, which made it more personal to my mind. In my experience breakfast in B&Bs (and even hotels) can be very hit and miss - not so here, they have a small specials board, which I thought was a great idea, as well as a variety of cereals, home-made jams and marmalade, fresh fruit and different kinds of home made bread. There is also a 'menu' with a choice of cooked breakfast but essentially they were suggestions as guests can order any combination of things they fancy I suppose. And as a vegetarian I was delighted to have a veggie cooked breakfast option!!
Annette and Gill have been nothing but kind and helpful during my stay and I would highly recommend this little gem of a B&B to anyone who is looking for somewhere nice to stay in the area. Unfortunately it was a very short stay and I did not have time to explore the area - but there is plenty to see and do nearby - first and foremost of course Sandringham, marsches for bird watching and the seaside around Huntstanton is meant to be quite nice.

Room Tip: I stayed in the double bedroom (room 2) which was lovely, airy and light. You do hear the road as th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Annette R, Owner at Ashdene House, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for this glowing review. We do work hard and appreciate knowing it's worthwhile.
It was a pleasure to meet you and would love to see you here again.
Kind regards Annette and Gill
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

From the moment my dad & I arrived we were greeted with a warm welcome from Gill and Annette Nothing was too much trouble,the rooms are beautiful, v.clean and very comfortable.Everything you may need was there, even a bottle of water.They bought a very welcome and needed cuppa (and alternative!!)and delicious homemade cakes to our rooms . When I travel to Norfolk again this will be my first stop.Thankyou ladies for your kindness and delicious cakes and breakfast.

Room Tip: I stayed in room No 5, a very comfortable good sized twin on the side overlooking garden. My fathers...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We have recently returned from a very enjoyable 4 night break. We received very warm welcome from Annette and Gill and were offered tea and cakes on arrival in their beautiful garden. Our room was very clean with a lovely view of the garden. Tea and coffee making facilities were supplied and also a fan,as the weather was exceptionally hot. Breakfasts were superb, freshly cooked with a supply of various home made jams and bread. Annette and Gill gave us excellent advice on places to, eat and visit, we were not disappointed with any of their recommendations They also lent us binoculars, maps etc. Although they have only been running Ashdene for the past 6 months, they have obviously done a lot of research on the area to the benefit of their guests. Highly recommend Ashdene.
Pat and Brenda

Bucks
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

The welcome we received from Annette and the English breakfast or home made bread / marmalades and granola) was superb. The room was small but well provided for, with everything you could need. You can use the lounge and the fridge in the breakfast room, which is handy, and fresh milk was available for tea making in your room. They couldn't have done more for us, and we really enjoyed our stay.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I really enjoyed staying at Ashdene House. We were welcomed with coffee and cakes by Annette & Gill on a glorious sunny afternoon in the fantastic garden that is available for guests to use. They offered advice on where to visit & eat & we had a fantastic 2 night stay. The breakfast was excellent being cooked to order with local produce & attention to detail that is hard to find these days. The bread was home made as were the jams & marmalades. We enjoyed trips to Wells-next the Sea, Holt, Old Hunstanton & Sandringham. I visited with my sisters and a friend and we have all decided we will be making a return visit.

Room Tip: The larger twin room(room 5) has been refurbished so that would be my first choice if picking a twin...
1 Thank Sharon K
maldon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a very enjoyable three night stay. Gill and Annette made us feel very welcome, and went the extra mile to assist us (and other guests). We found room#5 very comfortable, and the breakfast superb. Could not fault any aspect of our visit. We will return some time soon!Heather & Mick

1 Thank heathermaldon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dersingham
Congham Hall Hotel & Spa
BEST WESTERN PLUS Kings Lynn Knights Hill Hotel & Spa
The Grange Hotel
The Grange Hotel
#7 of 15 in King's Lynn

Been to Ashdene House? Share your experiences!