“My favorite place in Tulum”
Review of Cabanas La Luna

Cabanas La Luna
Ranked #11 of 102 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed December 14, 2009

This was my third trip to Cabanas La Luna, and I feel like an old friend of the house. Of course, I've felt that way since the first time I stepped foot on the property,that's how warm and friendly it is. On previous stays I've stayed in the Captain Dale house (outstanding, but too much for one person), Marrakech (also fabulous, perfect for two-four), and since I was solo this trip I was able to snag Robinson Crusoe, which is just right for one person. It can work for two as well, especially if you're both on the smaller side and travel light. The view from the door is awesome, one of my favorite things to wake up to every day.

They were in the process of building their new restaurant, and I can't wait to see what chef Jacob does with the place. He's an excellent chef; I've had three meals from him cooked in the small field kitchen and all three were some of the best meals I had on each trip.

They've finished work on the new Villa Zanzibar at the back of the property. The structure has always been there, but it's newly renovated, new bathrooms added as well as a gorgeous and rare-for-Tulum swimming pool that will be private for residents of the villa. I need to get my family down there one of these days.

The beach is gorgeous and there are beach beds and (my favorite) Adirondack chairs with tables and umbrellas.

I can't wait to get back.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
4  Thank Beachreader

Reviewed November 18, 2009

Your stay in a Cabana in Tulum, Mexico can make or break your trip. Quite frankly, the only reason I came to Tulum, Mexico was because of the idea of staying in a Cabana just off of the beach! Imagine waking up at 6 in the morning and 2 minutes later frolicking int the ocean! That is just what I did! So I spent loads of time looking for a Cabana hotel that also had good value (not astronomical prices).

La Luna was just that. I chose the place based off the Trip Advisor reviews and the exquisite website that perfectly showcased its rooms sold me! I stayed in the Columbus cabana, the yellow one. Not only were the Cabanas colorful outside but also inside as well! Even though you will not spend alot of time INSIDE your cabana, it was nice to come back to a very nicely decorated room.

The location of the Cabanas was perfect as it was toward the southern end of the Tulum beach. The beach itself was extremely wide and the water sooo beautiful. I was able to walk up and down the beach, something you can't do with certain Cabanas that are positioned close to rocks. I liked how the Cabanas La Luna was set among vegetation, lending toward a little more privacy than those Cabana hotels that have their cabanas just on the sand.

In terms of room amenities, they had everything, electricity, internet in the lobby, drinking water (each room has a large jug), ceiling fan, maid service every day. I didn't feel like I was roughing it all. I think I only saw one bug in my room (which is good for this area.) The room was clean.

The only thing that sets the hotel back is their lack of a beach bar/restaurant. You have to pre order meals. I actually didn't mind this, as it led me to get out more and discover other restaurants more. It also helped me save a little money, as each room has a cooler (I bought some nice refreshments). When I was there, they were building a restaurant so it might be open in a couple of months.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank Kiratiana
Reviewed November 13, 2009

My husband and I had already been staying in Tulum for a few days before we were able to check into our space at Cabañas La Luna. They were doing renovations and unfortunately we were not able to reserve with them until November 1. This being said, we booked a cabaña at another place for the nights prior.

I do not wish to give a poor review to the OTHER place because it would be unfair in this particular platform. It was very, very rustic. Just as it had been marketed. The only problem is that there was absolutely no comfort whatsoever. I had to continually remind myself that in a few short days, we would be spending the remainder of our visit at La Luna. Even though, we had not yet been there to tour the grounds, we knew that anything was going to be an improvement.

The day that we were able to check in, we were extremely anxious to get going. La Luna is farther down the beach road than the other place where we had stayed and we had found that the farther down the beach you go... the better it gets. It chills out a bit. Which is something we greatly appreciated since we were there to recharge and just be lazy.

Checking in was amazing. Everyone was very friendly and made us feel right at home. The room was rustic, but still had the option of hot water and electricity if needed. Just knowing that it was available was comforting. It does make a difference when you are on "vacation".

The cabaña was beautifully decorated, clean and spacious. I'm a designer, so I pay attention to the details and I can tell you that aesthetically speaking... nothing was overlooked. Our view was fantastic and the set up on the beach made all the difference. The beach beds, lounge chairs, hammocks, swings and umbrellas made us want for nothing. They even had a little section with toys for kids (and myself) to pick through.

They had wireless in the "lobby" area so we were able to skype and email to keep up with everyone back home and check in with the house sitter. It was nice not having to scramble.

We put in orders for coffee every morning as well. Sitting on the front porch of our cabaña surrounded by random pets with a cup of coffee is my new happy place. Although I couldn't figure out how to work the french press to save my life.

Be sure to say hello to Foxy. She is the cutest little dog and so entertaining to watch on the beach. She filled the void of missing our dogs while we were gone. FYI: The staff does not want the animals crawling all over the guests. We just prefer it, because we are animal lovers. You will not be inundated with them during your stay.

We celebrated my husband's birthday there and it was the perfect day. Coffee, beach, dinner and then we laid on the beach under the moon for hours.

I know I am gushing, but you have to understand. I was counting the days to come home until we relocated there. It was great and I can't wait to go back. Hopefully with friends. They have the option to rent the entire place out and we think that would be ideal someday down the road.

The restaurant was not done yet, but I'm sure it will be a great place to spend an evening when it is complete. The pool wasn't finished yet either. Usually this does not go over well with me because I love having a pool, but the beach was so clear and beautiful... who needs it!? It was close to being finished though and looked great.

In summary, we highly recommend this place. We have nothing, but good things to say.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JJRobinsonDesign
Reviewed October 12, 2009

Our stay at La Luna was an amazing experience!
Lovely Cabanas with seaview...beach with white sand...great food from cook Jacob.
We saw baby turtles getting out of the sand going to the ocean.
Full Moon made the sky so bright.....a holiday we remember as GREAT!
And not forget....MARVELOUS MARGERITA'S!!!

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin-Natasja
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at La Luna. I was in Robinson Crusoe which was perfect for me. I liked the storage in the shelf next to the bed, it fit all of my stuff(I definitely overpacked.) I really loved the view of the ocean from the bed, it was a great was to wake up. It was super simple to get to town, just a short taxi ride and I was there. Also it is a super short drive to the Tulum Ruins(highly recommended) as well as plenty of cenotes and other great snorkling spots.
Cabanas La Luna is the only place I would stay if I was going to Tulum!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed October 1, 2009

this vacation is in my top three of my life..the hosts free and jacob are really nice and helpfull..the location is just ammazing..its perfect for diving or snorkeling and we went swimming whit a whealshark..my cabanna whas on the beach en i could hear the sea in my bed. i am going back!!!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed September 23, 2009

On our second trip to Yucatan, we planned to spread our 3-week vacation between Tulum, Playa and few days visiting Valladolid, Merida, Chitzen Itza, Uxmal, Coba and Holbox.
Reading reviews on cabanas, we decided to try La Luna, and what a pleasant experience it was! We planned to spend our first week in Cabanas La Luna, but we actually extended our stay to almost 3 weeks (minus 3 days that we spent traveling around Yucatan). Staff is great, helpful and very dedicated to make La Luna the very best of what Tulum can offer.

Cabanas themselves are great. Each in distinctive colors, interior and layouts. We actually wanted to try few of them...just for the fun...and I can tell you that each is great. We've stayed in Robinson Crusoe, Cristopher Columbus and Marrakech. Each offers netted beds with overhead fans (yes, during summer months, you can expect lots of mosquitoes or tabanos -(horse flies) when there is less wind).

Location ... its like postcard picture coming to life. You are set right on the beach. There is absolutely no crowd like in Playa... its reminding me of Maldives islands...with one difference... IF you want to go out, party, shop or see something, here you can do it...on Maldives you cannot :) Kiting school is very close ... 300 meters away.
Almost every night we could see giant turtles that come out to lay eggs. It is overwhelming experience (see photos - note that this happens during summer months only).

Jacob, the Chef can prepare delicious meals for you. Few dinners that we had there were all superb. He did some really nice dishes on Italian base with a Mexican twist. Kudos for his originality and execution, as dishes were great!

Gonzalo and Free always have a tip you need for shopping, visiting ruins or cenotes...whatever your plans are, they can help you organize it. They also organized superb 1-day trip to Holbox for whales and mantas dive experience.

There aren't any fridges, but you don't need them. Every day, staff fills your ice-box so all your cervezas and other drinks are chilled :) Rooms are cleaned daily, showers in cabanas are with salty water, but for those who want regular, there is convenient shower outside. There is also kitchen you can use if you want to prepare something for yourself during the day. There is also free wifi internet if you'll need it (hopefully not for work, but for sending great pictures to friends)

So all in all, visiting in the summer means less wind, more humidity and quite a bit of mosquitoes (it is much better on windy days). At the same time, it means less people (we actually had days where whole beach was only for us. This place was so overwhelming for us that we actually got engaged here and are seriously considering getting married at La Luna if our budgets will allow it :)

Sasha & Petra