“Our vacation did not begin until we checked into Cabañas La Luna.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Cabanas La Luna

Cabanas La Luna
Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
Portland, OR USA
“Our vacation did not begin until we checked into Cabañas La Luna.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2009

My husband and I had already been staying in Tulum for a few days before we were able to check into our space at Cabañas La Luna. They were doing renovations and unfortunately we were not able to reserve with them until November 1. This being said, we booked a cabaña at another place for the nights prior.

I do not wish to give a poor review to the OTHER place because it would be unfair in this particular platform. It was very, very rustic. Just as it had been marketed. The only problem is that there was absolutely no comfort whatsoever. I had to continually remind myself that in a few short days, we would be spending the remainder of our visit at La Luna. Even though, we had not yet been there to tour the grounds, we knew that anything was going to be an improvement.

The day that we were able to check in, we were extremely anxious to get going. La Luna is farther down the beach road than the other place where we had stayed and we had found that the farther down the beach you go... the better it gets. It chills out a bit. Which is something we greatly appreciated since we were there to recharge and just be lazy.

Checking in was amazing. Everyone was very friendly and made us feel right at home. The room was rustic, but still had the option of hot water and electricity if needed. Just knowing that it was available was comforting. It does make a difference when you are on "vacation".

The cabaña was beautifully decorated, clean and spacious. I'm a designer, so I pay attention to the details and I can tell you that aesthetically speaking... nothing was overlooked. Our view was fantastic and the set up on the beach made all the difference. The beach beds, lounge chairs, hammocks, swings and umbrellas made us want for nothing. They even had a little section with toys for kids (and myself) to pick through.

They had wireless in the "lobby" area so we were able to skype and email to keep up with everyone back home and check in with the house sitter. It was nice not having to scramble.

We put in orders for coffee every morning as well. Sitting on the front porch of our cabaña surrounded by random pets with a cup of coffee is my new happy place. Although I couldn't figure out how to work the french press to save my life.

Be sure to say hello to Foxy. She is the cutest little dog and so entertaining to watch on the beach. She filled the void of missing our dogs while we were gone. FYI: The staff does not want the animals crawling all over the guests. We just prefer it, because we are animal lovers. You will not be inundated with them during your stay.

We celebrated my husband's birthday there and it was the perfect day. Coffee, beach, dinner and then we laid on the beach under the moon for hours.

I know I am gushing, but you have to understand. I was counting the days to come home until we relocated there. It was great and I can't wait to go back. Hopefully with friends. They have the option to rent the entire place out and we think that would be ideal someday down the road.

The restaurant was not done yet, but I'm sure it will be a great place to spend an evening when it is complete. The pool wasn't finished yet either. Usually this does not go over well with me because I love having a pool, but the beach was so clear and beautiful... who needs it!? It was close to being finished though and looked great.

In summary, we highly recommend this place. We have nothing, but good things to say.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JJRobinsonDesign

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Korean first
Amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2009

Our stay at La Luna was an amazing experience!
Lovely Cabanas with seaview...beach with white sand...great food from cook Jacob.
We saw baby turtles getting out of the sand going to the ocean.
Full Moon made the sky so bright.....a holiday we remember as GREAT!
And not forget....MARVELOUS MARGERITA'S!!!

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kevin-Natasja
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2009

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at La Luna. I was in Robinson Crusoe which was perfect for me. I liked the storage in the shelf next to the bed, it fit all of my stuff(I definitely overpacked.) I really loved the view of the ocean from the bed, it was a great was to wake up. It was super simple to get to town, just a short taxi ride and I was there. Also it is a super short drive to the Tulum Ruins(highly recommended) as well as plenty of cenotes and other great snorkling spots.
Cabanas La Luna is the only place I would stay if I was going to Tulum!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
amsterdam
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2009

this vacation is in my top three of my life..the hosts free and jacob are really nice and helpfull..the location is just ammazing..its perfect for diving or snorkeling and we went swimming whit a whealshark..my cabanna whas on the beach en i could hear the sea in my bed. i am going back!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Novo mesto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2009

On our second trip to Yucatan, we planned to spread our 3-week vacation between Tulum, Playa and few days visiting Valladolid, Merida, Chitzen Itza, Uxmal, Coba and Holbox.
Reading reviews on cabanas, we decided to try La Luna, and what a pleasant experience it was! We planned to spend our first week in Cabanas La Luna, but we actually extended our stay to almost 3 weeks (minus 3 days that we spent traveling around Yucatan). Staff is great, helpful and very dedicated to make La Luna the very best of what Tulum can offer.

Cabanas themselves are great. Each in distinctive colors, interior and layouts. We actually wanted to try few of them...just for the fun...and I can tell you that each is great. We've stayed in Robinson Crusoe, Cristopher Columbus and Marrakech. Each offers netted beds with overhead fans (yes, during summer months, you can expect lots of mosquitoes or tabanos -(horse flies) when there is less wind).

Location ... its like postcard picture coming to life. You are set right on the beach. There is absolutely no crowd like in Playa... its reminding me of Maldives islands...with one difference... IF you want to go out, party, shop or see something, here you can do it...on Maldives you cannot :) Kiting school is very close ... 300 meters away.
Almost every night we could see giant turtles that come out to lay eggs. It is overwhelming experience (see photos - note that this happens during summer months only).

Jacob, the Chef can prepare delicious meals for you. Few dinners that we had there were all superb. He did some really nice dishes on Italian base with a Mexican twist. Kudos for his originality and execution, as dishes were great!

Gonzalo and Free always have a tip you need for shopping, visiting ruins or cenotes...whatever your plans are, they can help you organize it. They also organized superb 1-day trip to Holbox for whales and mantas dive experience.

There aren't any fridges, but you don't need them. Every day, staff fills your ice-box so all your cervezas and other drinks are chilled :) Rooms are cleaned daily, showers in cabanas are with salty water, but for those who want regular, there is convenient shower outside. There is also kitchen you can use if you want to prepare something for yourself during the day. There is also free wifi internet if you'll need it (hopefully not for work, but for sending great pictures to friends)

So all in all, visiting in the summer means less wind, more humidity and quite a bit of mosquitoes (it is much better on windy days). At the same time, it means less people (we actually had days where whole beach was only for us. This place was so overwhelming for us that we actually got engaged here and are seriously considering getting married at La Luna if our budgets will allow it :)

Sasha & Petra

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sas575
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

My husband and I were married at Cabanas La Luna in April. We spent two amazing weeks here with our family and friends for our wedding and honeymoon. We couldn't have chosen a more perfect location! Tulum is a bohemian beach paradise and La Luna is by far the best place to stay there. I had never been to Tulum before and did extensive research here on tripadvisor and the Tulum info forum (a great resource) and decided on Cabanas La Luna for our wedding and reception. It was perfect for us! If you are looking for an intimate, relaxed, beautiful setting with great service this is the place to be. There are five beachfront cabanas and a villa style house on the property. We rented the entire place and had access to two communal kitchens (one for the beachfront cabanas and one in the villa). This villa in the back is perfect for a family or group that wants to lounge in a tropical private setting.

I ran along the beach every morning so I saw all of the cabana hotels up close (I wandered into the grounds of many of them) and I have to say La Luna is by far the best cabana hotel to stay along the tulum strip. The grounds are covered in lush gardens and the beach is large and feels private. There is some shade provided by the palm trees in the front of the property (some of the other beach front cabana places seemed a little too open to the elements). Each of the cabanas have been designed with attention to every little detail - there are mosaic tiles in the bathroom, vintage and handmade furniture, and beautiful indian-inspired linens.

Jacob, Free, and Gonzalo were great hosts. Free was our wedding planner and answered tons of email from me - the nervous bride.... He found us the most amazing band for our wedding - La Femi - and helped arrange all the other vendors for our wedding including sourcing extra tables, bamboo chairs, linens, the bartender, mariachis, etc. Their recommendations for day trips were great - one of the highlights of our trip was a tour of the biosphere where we floated down a canal lined with mangroves (the "real" lazy river in nature) and were taught about the delicate and unique eco-system of the Mayan Riviera.

Our guests had the best time....we spent our time there relaxing on the beach, played soccer and paddle ball, took trips to the ruins, cenotes, and headed into the cute town of Tulum for traditional yummy food. Everyone loved the place including my 12 year old brother and my husband's 81 year old grandmother. Our family and friends can't stop talking about how wonderful the place was.

Another plus about La Luna is that its location is very central - there are places on the southern end of the beach that look cute (like Tierras del Sol and Hamaca Loca)....but they are quite far from the restaurants we liked. Here are our recommendations for dining:

1. El Tabano - AMAZING!!!!!!- a quaint little restaurant on the jungle side of the beach road (a short walk from La Luna) with delicious authentic food served in an outdoor setting. You can sit either under the palapas (for shade during the day) or at night sit under the stars in the garden of tropical flowers and succulents. This place feel very home-y with cute vintage furniture and lovingly prepared food. We ate here numerous times and had them prepare a gourmet after-wedding brunch for us. The food here is delicious!

2. Ana y Jose hotel - (two doors down from La Luna) yummy fresh seafood (try the fish tacos) and traditional mexican food, our guests spent hours here having lunch under the palapa watching the waves, and drinking wine.

3. Last but not least - La Luna - Jacob cooked a few private meals for our group including our gourmet wedding dinner. He was a chef in Amsterdam and has brought his culinary skills to this little piece of paradise. Our guests were amazed at the 20 or so gourmet dishes he prepared for our wedding. He also prepared a delicious beach BBQ for our guests.

Many folks seem to love the Italian restaurant - Posada Margherita but we found the food to be mediocre (I've been to Italy numerous times and love traditional simple Italian food), over-priced (the menu is verbal so you don't know how much things cost till you get the bill), and they are kind of rude. They get so busy that they don't seem to care if you're going to come back.

For live music and dancing - don't miss the weekly salsa party at La Zebra on Sunday nights, the beach party at Playa Azul during the day on Sundays (with live bands and a swing bar), and nightly live entertainment at Zamas.

In a nutshell, La Luna is totally understated, yet they've created the perfect tropical hideaway setting with personalized service. If you are looking for A/C, full-time room service, and an on-sight restaurant, I'd head somewhere else (although I hear they are planning to build a restaurant soon). The on-site caretakers - Elvia and her family - are super sweet and do a wonderful job of cleaning your cabana daily. La Luna also comes with the cutest dog ever named Foxy - I'm sure we're not the first guests that had the urge to steal her away and bring her home with us. If you get uptight about the sweetest dog ever laying on your beach bed than something is wrong with you. Also, if you can't handle the occasional bug in your room - don't head to the tropics.

I highly recommend La Luna for a wedding party or other group getaway but also for family vacations and honeymoons. Thanks to everyone there including Jacob, Free, Gonzalo, Elvia, Rodrigo, Hanne Jesca, and Victor for making our wedding and our honeymoon so special. Please don't change a thing. :-)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank BDaville
Dunblane, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

So many positives about this place. First of all the location is achingly beautiful. We stayed in the Captain's quarters which is the largest Cabana and is closest to the sea. As Jacob lead us through the cabana to the front deck, the view took our breath away. White sands, pretty much deserted, an aquamarine sea and white clouds gently boiling on the horizon behind the shady coconut palms. Was this indeed paradise? The strong onshore breeze was a welcome relief to the heat found even a few metres inland.

We were in Tulum with our two children aged 9 and 16 and we quickly got into the swing of things i.e. not wearing shoes, jumping the waves and not worrying about much. Jacob came over and gave us a good run down of the locale and where we could get something to eat (note...always add 15 minutes on to any journey time that these guys say!). The restaurants are pretty much accessed up and down the beach which is fun sometimes but a task at others if it's dark and you're tired. Rosada Margharita and Hemingway's are stunning Italian restaurants however they are rather pricey and do not advertise their prices which was a bit annoying. Zamas and zebra are only walkable to those who are up for a bit of strenuous exercise. Azul was closer and good (more about that later) with the beach bar with its swings and ambient house being a highlight. What was slightly disappointing with the restaurants was they were very much style over substance and were clearly aimed at the urban dinky. I have eaten much better food at much lower prices. It's the Yucatan.....not St Tropez Niki Beach, which is clearly where a lot of the people had pretentions to be. We constantly smirked at the self important 30 somethings who strutted up and down the beach in the afternoon. Oh to be young and conceited again! As a footnote, the best food we had all the time we stayed in Tulum was cooked by Jacob in La Luna. A definite highlight as the boy can really cook.

Free and Jacob helped us organise a couple of trips with the help of Mexidivers and the ever reliable Tadao the taxi driver. Akumal is a stunning location for snorkeling and is home to a large colony of giant turtles and to swim with these graceful reptiles is a joy even when they are joined by their stingray friends! The second trip was to Holbox to swim with whale sharks in the gulf. This was a fantastic day and we were treated to an unsurpassed wildlife experience. Mantas, flamingos, turtles, dolphins, sardines, flying fish and of course the whale sharks. Nothing quite prepares you for the thrill of swimming with a 10m fish in the open ocean! Closer to home, the ruins at Tulum are fantastic, although I'd advise getting there early before it gets too hot and the cruise ship / xcaret coach parties arrive.

Back to La Luna. I suppose that paradise will always come at a price and even paradise would not be perfect. The showers are salt water which didn't enamour our 16 year old girl (bad for the hair apparently), the cool box thing simply doesn't work and with one communal fridge there was little point in buying snack food (get a small fridge for each cabana guys!!!), the supermarket is a 10 minute drive away (120 peso round trip) and is a hassle you could do without, there is no aircon which s fine when the wind blows, but when it drops, you have little chance of sleeping. Finally, the wildlife while welcome outside is not too welcome inside. We had daily visits from a group I called Eddie and the boys who were 7cm long sandy coloured beetles.....and then there were the mosquitos.

OK perhaps it is our fault as we went to La Luna at the start of the wet season and we are apparently 'sweet blooded' northern Europeans....but after a day long tropical storm when the wind dropped, we were eaten alive, indoors and outdoors. It transpired that the screen on the front door was missing and we became a buffet even when we were sleeping. Even Deet was useless against them and the locals said that we were experiencing 'Chaquistas' which were tiny biting insects found by the beach. The eco resort became an E-coli resort when my wife contracted the dreaded bug at Azul on our final night. Although this is clearly nothing to do with La Luna, it is possibly a consequence of going too 'eco' on the hygiene front!

So La Luna is not perfect, but for an opportunity to stay at one of the most beautiful places on the planet, perhaps its worth the inconveniences.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family