Cabanas La Luna
$637
Zamas(Tulum)
$85
Priceline
All reviewslas estrellasrobinson crusoechristopher columbusvilla zanzibarjungle penthousecaptain dalegarden suiteoutdoor kitchenbeach bedswedding plannercevichesalt watermosquito nettingprivate poolpalm treesperfect beachdrinking water
Reviewed April 28, 2014

4 of my best friends and I stayed at Zanzibar for 5 nights and the experience was truly blissful. We loved having the pool to jump in to whenever we wanted ... to cool down after a day on the beach, or first thing in the morning. It was also very convenient being able to order (delicious) dinner or breakfast and have it brought to us. The open-air living space was very comfortable and it was great having the friendly staff come by once or twice a day to clean. The bedrooms were very decent - the downstairs ones had air conditioning, but where I was staying upstairs the room was a little warm, despite two fans and the open window. I would recommend bringing ear plugs as the upstairs bedrooms are a little close to the road and you can hear light traffic early in the morning. I did yoga every day at Maya Tulum (close by) and rented bikes to explore the ruins & cenotes ... but most of the trip was spent on the day beds on the beach that are reserved for guests.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Jessica L
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2014

Thank you for your kind review. We are happy to hear that your group had such a wonderful time and enjoyed all the amenities that Villa Zanzibar has to offer. This villa is located close to the beach road so at times the noise can be louder than others, but it is generally not too frequent. It sounds like that didn't bother you though! Thanks again for sharing your activities tips. We hope to welcome you back to our beaches soon.

Reviewed April 27, 2014

I just returned from a second trip to Cabanas la Luna. The first was with my husband, and this time we returned with our 3 children (12, 10 and 9). We stayed in Captain Dale's Quarters, which was perfect for our family. While it may not be ideal for younger children, as the steps to the loft (with 2 double beds) are steep, our kids enjoyed their own space with beautiful views of the water and palm trees. Downstairs is a comfy queen size bed with mosquito netting, shelves for storing clothing, and a large bathroom with two sinks and plenty of shelf space.

The accommodations here are gorgeous, but this is not a luxury hotel. Rooms are purposely rustic, and if you are expecting fancy bathrooms, you will be disappointed. The shower was sometimes only lukewarm, which did not bother us. Water in the shower is a little salty, but plentiful drinking water is provided in the room. Waste paper goes into a bin rather than flushed, which takes a little getting used to, but is common in the area. This room did not have AC (though others do), and we found that the fans at night kept it cool enough for sleeping. Lighting is somewhat dim at night, so consider bringing flash lights or a nightlight for the kids.

We did not see any mosquitos while we were there, and were not bothered by bugs at all.

Captain Dale could not be closer to the beach. It is ON the sand. There is a large porch with seating and two hammocks. There are plenty of beach beds, umbrellas and chairs just steps away.

The beach in front of La Luna is the best I have ever seen -- soft sand, gentle waves (but still big enough to be fun for the kids), and the stars at night were amazing. You can walk down the beach to different restaurants and bars. We especially like the food at Zulum, next door, where there is a roof deck. La Luna has no pool, but Zulum does, and our kids played in the pool while we enjoyed drinks with a view.

La Luna's restaurant, Las Estrellas, has excellent food. Breakfast each morning includes fresh fruit, toast and jam, and you can add on egg dishes and other things if you wish.

I am not a morning person, but I found myself up early each day to see the sunrise, and to my very pleasant surprise, there was self-serve hot coffee to greet me. One reason I was up for sunrise is that there was not a lot going on at night -- we were all in bed by 9 after being at the beach during the day!

This is a place to come relax and get back to nature. All you need is a bathing suit, some flip flops and a sarong. You could spend days in Tulum without ever putting on shoes. We will return to Tulum and La Luna as soon as we can.

Room Tip: The small cabanas are perfect for a couple, and Captain Dale had plenty of space for our family with 3 children. Website pictures are accurate based on what I have seen, and ALL rooms are close enough to the beach to hear the waves.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank coladakitty

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, and coming back for a return visit with the kids! You have described exactly what we work to achieve: peace and serenity, suitable for all ages. Captain Dale's Quarters is a great family cabana and I am happy that you had the chance to make that your cabana for your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back for many years to come!

Reviewed April 25, 2014

You have to read the name of this hotel and of its restaurant to understand what a charming place it is ! What a good energy there !
"Cabanas La Luna y Las Estrellas"...
Another significant thing to say is about the kindness of all the staff.
To sum up, the place to be the place to go.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear you had such a joyous time! We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed April 24, 2014

My wife and I stayed in Marco Polo. We found the room comfortable and not especially noisy considering it is above the bar/restaurant.It has an outdoor area to sit in a hammock. Could have used somewhere inside to put my suitcase on.

The stretch of beach and the sea the hotel is on is excellent. I just wish we had stayed there when the turtles were hatching.

My wife did the cooking class at the restaurant and really enjoyed it - the chefs were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for your kind review of Marco Polo's Journey! This cabana is located in our building behind the restaurant, but you made some wonderful points about the cabana that need to be shared considering its location. Thank you for your tip on the suitcase. We will look into it and see if this is something we can add to the cabana. Thanks again for your review. We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed April 24, 2014

I cannot say enough positive things about Cabanas La Luna. This was my third year back and I enjoyed every minute. Many of the staff members who were there during my first trip to Tulum in 2012 are still there; it's nice to see familiar faces in such a lovely place. I still daydream of the fish tacos that's served at their on-site restaurant Las Estrellas, and now I can't stop thinking about their excellent Micheladas and piña coladas on the pristine coral beach. This year, my fiance Chris and I stayed at La Luna with THIRTEEN friends and had the best time. The hotel is a great base for groups, but you should book far in advance because the property fills up quick. Plus, the area offers enough activities nearby that people can split up and do different things, including tour Sian Kaan (which is a place you must experience!), snorkeling or just soaking up the sun on the beach. Coming from New York where it seemed to snow every week this winter, 5 days at La Luna was a much-needed break. Thanks so much to everyone there for keeping the hotel an unforgettable and special place. Chris and I will be back next year.

Room Tip: Ocean facing rooms do not have air conditioners, so that's something to keep in mind if you require air conditioning. Also, bring bug spray! Wherever you go in Tulum, you'll need it.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Amy C
CabanasLaLuna, General Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this reviewResponded May 1, 2014

Dear Amy,

Thank you for your lovely review and your lovely gift! We really enjoyed having you, Chris and all of your friends around. You are right we do have very nice places for friends gathering. Especially Villa Zanzibar and Villa Shanti as you know are the best for a larger group. You have your own space where your guests can enjoy seeing each other whilst our other guests will not feel at all like you are taken over the hotel.
We feel privileged and honoured that Chris proposed to you here with us and we are really looking forward to seeing you again next year!

All the best,