“Like a Dream....a Very, Very Amazing Dream!”
Review of Cabanas La Luna

Cabanas La Luna
Ranked #11 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed February 25, 2014

I was lucky enough to enjoy a blissful stay in the Christopher Columbus cabana this January. Everything about La Luna is simpily amazing! Ruben, Oscar and Quami were very helpful and the manager, Edmonda was as pleasant as can be. The breakfast that was included was very good but it was nice to be able to order a side of bacon to go with it.

Our days were spent laying on the beach, listening to the live music from the restaurant next door and enjoying the most delicious food straight from the ocean! The only thing that could have made this trip better was to have had more days and nights to enjoy this wonderful, fairy tale of a place!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Christopher Columbus cabana and thought for a couple it was perfect!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Charlotte Leigh
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you for sharing your experience at La Luna! We love hearing from our guests and seeing pictures of their stay with us. Looks like you had a wonderful time! We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to La Luna in the future!

There are newer reviews for Cabanas La Luna

Reviewed February 23, 2014

Can't wait to come back. We stayed in the Columbus cabana for 3 nights after a week in Playa. Should have reversed that or skipped Playa all together! Staff were amazing, food was amazing, cabana was amazing! Bed was cozy and comfy. The property is amazing with attention to every detail. I was thoroughly enchanted the first night when staff came around to light candles (!) inside hurricane lanterns along the pathways. The place felt like a dream, with amazing beauty and something to please all the senses at every turn. I had the sensation of being Dorothy right after she landed in Oz. (Warning: upon returning home, I had the sensation of being Dorothy at home in Kansas! Gray, gray, gray! Be prepared for a painful re-entry to reality!) We very much enjoyed our stay and would come back at our first opportunity for a longer stay with family/friends. Thank you to all the folks at La Luna for making our time so perfect and memorable.

Room Tip: We stayed in Christopher Columbus. The sunrise coming through windows every morning was magical. My...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Virgin_Rose_917

Thank you for your review! You have described our little slice of heaven well. Most guests have similar experiences when they visit Tulum and Playa del Carmen. Both are great places to see when in the Mayan Riveria, but they both have such wonderful things to offer. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back!

Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

The Mexican airport checks your luggage before letting you enter Mexico, for fruit and such, mostly.
There are people selling beer and soft drinks, outside the airport, to get your vacation started.
We arranged for their van to drive us. You can't drink in the van, as there are many police check points, leaving the airport. It's about an hour and a half drive from the airport. The greeter and driver were so cheerful and nice. Asked, if we needed to stop for anything, nice.
Right when you pull in, to your immediate right, is Villa Zanzibar. It has two big doors for an entrance into the Villa. It has a huge covered outdoor socializing area, with couches, chairs, bar stools, a bar and a cute private swimming pool.
If you leave your bags by the van, someone can get them, just ask. Or you can carry them to the reception desk, straight ahead, to the right. If you try to roll them, you'll get stuck and make marks in the sand.
As you walk toward reception there is a central area with a stone table and stone benches. Ten feet further, there is a central hammock area( all cabanas have private hammocks).
To the left is Christopher Columbus, red. A covered hidden massage area is directly behind Christopher Columbus.
You can get a massage on the beach, also.
Then is Robinson Crusoe, yellow and Casa Blanca, blue. Above Casa Blanca is Marrakech. And just in front, slightly to the left is Cpt. Dale's Quarter's (big deck). Then the beach.
All the cabanas are made to look rustic and are cute in different unique ways. There is a cabana to fit any need. Some have an upper level( Cpt. Dale's).
I loved Casa Blanca and Marrakech. Marrakech is spacious (2 beds) with a huge balcony over- looking the water.
Casa Blanca has cute shower-tiles and a cute hidden mirror. There are hangers provided, with an area to hang clothes. Also a bench for your suitcase or clothes. I needed another bench so I used my porch, tree-stump chair, for my suitcase. There is no bathroom door or shower door, in Casa Blanca, but it's pretty private anyway.
Some cabanas have bathroom doors. I just used, the shared (men/women) main restrooms, 30 second walk. The stalls have big doors and are quite private. There was rarely anyone there. That way we each had privacy when needed.
This is one of the eco-friendly places in Mexico. That means no flushing of toilet paper, you trash it, instead. You get used to it.
They are self sufficient as far as water and electricity go. It just means lights are alittle dimmer. I found the lighting to be, more than sufficient.
Also, I found no lack of water. Only don't try to shower while Marrakech is showering and vice versa because they are above and below eachother.
I did not find their shower water to be salty. I always felt clean afterward.
The water pressure was good too.
A large 6 gallon fresh water dispenser, for drinking, is in every cabana, with fresh pint glasses, daily.
There are wooden privacy vents by all windows, with curtains.
The windows have screens to keepmosquitoes out.
Housekeeping opens your curtains when they clean your cabana, daily. They make your bed and lift the netting, surrounding your bed.
Everything is kept clean. Daily, they sweep up the sand in your cabana. They sweep off your porch and even sweep the sand, out of your foot rinse, bowl. These are such a good idea, very convenient.
In the evening, turn down service. Housekeeping lowers the netting for later, when you're ready for bed. They also will tidy up, if needed.
The food was all delicious. The restaurant is so close, it's like your own kitchen.
The continental breakfast of fresh fruit and fresh jam for toast is a perfect start to the day. It includes fresh juice and coffee. Delivered to your porch if you like, perfect!
The beach area is very private. La Luna has the best beach beds and chairs, compared to other places. The white sand beach is beautiful and clean. The beach is not rocky.
The paths of sand and greenery, which lead to the beach, thirty feet away, are perfectly maintained.
Friends introduced us to La Luna, they've been here many times and helped make it number one. I would love to keep this place a secret but the secret is already out.
If you want to basicly live on the beach, (sand is five steps out your front door), La Luna is for you.
It is rusticly decorated and perfect for lounging on the beach from sun up 6:30 til shade 5:00. Then shower and go eat dinner. Get up early and do it again. They have plenty of towels, blue for the beach and white for a shower.
It did rain for an hour, 8am-9am, the first few days but that quickly passes. The last two days; there was no rain and it was sunny and hot by 8am.
Las Estrellas is one of the best restaurants in Tulum. Guests of La Luna, as well as people staying elsewhere, have dinner here. Therefore, I do not think it's a place to hang out and get inebriated and loud, just because you're staying at La Luna. You can do that elsewhere, if you choose.
Las Estrellas keeps a classy feel. The restaurant is uniquely decorated. All the food is delicious and presented nicely. Try it all, I did.Ceasar makes a great drink. They have different daily drinks. And Oscar shines. Thank you for a great time.
Compared to similar places on the beach, La Luna is not expensive, especially for living right on the beach. And it is definately clean, with super comfortable, firm beds. There is a small ceiling fan above the bed and an extra oscillating fan (just in case) as there is no a/c in Casa Blanca. There are a few cabanas with a/c, but the breeze from the beach, keeps it cool enough.
The price is definately worth the experience. La Luna is less expensive and cleaner than most places on the beach.
The grounds felt very safe, with Security strolling the paths, throughout the night.
The beach is dark at night so a flashlight helps, if walking up the beach at night.
There are many options for food within walking distance, as well as an ATM.
Take an Ipod for the beach.
And don't forget a little mosquito spray.
Everything at La Luna is so cute, down to the room, key-chain.
Everything was thought of, sometimes it's the little things that matter.
The staff are all exceptional. Great level of service. All were very friendly.
Great Job.
Thank You.

• Stayed: February 2014
4  Thank lincolnparkchicagoo

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your stay at La Luna, in addition to your whole experience from airport to door. Reviews like this really help other travelers get a good sense of what it is like in this region. I don't even know what else to say, you have summed it up so beautifully!

You have described our cabanas quite well. I hope this helps others decide which cabana is best for them, and help them to plan the best possible vacation.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our beaches soon!

Reviewed February 13, 2014

This was my second time at Cabanas La Luna and I absolutely love this place. So much so, that we've booked another trip back later this year!

The people who work here are the best. So friendly and helpful. Ruben is great. He even grew up in my hometown of San Francisco! Quami was also great. The Dutch woman who also works here (sorry we can't remember your name!) was the best. She hooked us up with the pineapple, sweet potato preserves I mention later.

The breakfast is such a great way to start your day. I love the fruit spreads they give you. There was this pineapple, sweet potato one they made that I absolutely loved. I asked them if they could make me some so I could bring some home to San Francisco. They were more than happy to do it and made me a huge jar full! I now am able to enjoy some of Cabanas La Luna's fine cooking here at home!

The beach is great. So relaxing. The food is amazing. Everyday, we had ceviche and fish tacos for lunch. Why mix things up when you've found such a great tasting combo? Our days consisted of reading, swimming, napping, eating, napping, swimming, reading. So quiet and relaxing!

The first time here, I stayed in Robinson Crusoe. It's the smallest cabana that they have and is literally right on the beach. It's perfect for a couple. But it gets snatched up fast, so book it well in advance. This last time I was here, I stayed in two different rooms. First night was in Marrakech. It was huge! And the bathroom has a door! The deck is amazing and the view is unbeatable. Enjoying breakfast up there, reading a book in the hammock was perfect. The second room we stayed in was Marco Polo's Journey. The room is above the restaurant, but doesn't get noisy at night at all. It's more than enough space for a couple. And we woke up to some amazing sunrises. Check out some of my pictures if you don't believe me.

Tulum is one of my favorite places and Cabanas La Luna is a huge part of that. There's a reason why it's rated #1. Can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Robinson Crusoe is a great little cabana literally right on the beach. It's also the cheapest ro...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Dalan M
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2014

Thank you for your kind review. We are so glad you are able to share your experience with others, considering the fact that you have stayed in in 3 of our 8 cabanas! All have great things to offer as you mentioned. I hope that will help others with the decision on which cabana is best for them.

We are quite lucky to have such a wonderful staff and I am glad they helped make your stay here so memorable. I will be sure to pass along the message to our manager, Edmonda. We are quite fond of her ourselves! We look forward to welcoming you back for many years to come!

Reviewed February 12, 2014

We booked with Cabañas La Luna knowing we wanted to get away someplace warm and away from any big hotels. We were referred to Tulum by some friends...and boy are we glad we listened to their referral! The setting that the cabañas and restaurant are situated in are beyond magical or romantic....it literally is straight out of a fairytale. The staff was so wonderful, so kind and so helpful. We met everyone who was staying there, and by the end, they felt like family. My husband and I were very sad to leave but are already planning our next trip to La Luna!

A little background on us: my husband and I prefer to travel to remote, quiet, outdoorsy and cabin like experiences. We do not care for the all-inclusive type resorts. The rooms had the necessities, and the staff was wonderful...but the resort does not have air conditioning (in our opinion, it doesn't need it), and with it being off grid and Eco friendly, the lights are dim and the water pressure isn't great...but all that being said, we didn't care! It was absolutely perfect for us.

As far as the restaurant goes....it was fabulous. The food was great, the cocktails were wonderful, their fresh fruits and vegetables (and fresh juices!) were all amazing. We ventured out to other restaurants but we LOVED Las Estrellas. Continental breakfast included amazing fresh fruit, freshly baked bread, freshly made fruit spread, fresh squeezed juice and the blackest coffee I've ever had. It was perfect.

I could go on and on about how much we loved our stay here.

Room Tip: Most rooms face the ocean which is nice so you get a breeze and can hear the ocean at night. We stay...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jacqueline C

Thank you for your review! We are so happy to hear you took your friends advice (the best kind) and decided to stay with us. Sounds like we were a great fit for you, and that makes us thrilled to hear! We look forward to welcoming you back to Tulum for some more piece and relaxation!

Reviewed February 9, 2014

After having a very hectic summer. We wanted to go to a place that I knew would be relaxing and not so hectic. La Luna provided us experience.Its Like you have the whole place to yourself. From the minute we drove up the driveway it felt awesome! It's nice and quiet. I think The beach is beautiful. Thank you we had a wonderful time.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Rob G
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Thank you for submitting a review. We are so happy to hear that we were able to provide you with the relief you were looking for after a hectic summer. We hope you were able to return home refreshed. We look forward to welcoming you back to La Luna again soon.

Reviewed February 7, 2014

The hotel is much nicer than surrounding properties, and the staff is stellar! All staff go above and beyond to ensure that your stay is as enjoyable as possible. I couldn't believe how nice everyone was and how eager they were to ask if there was anything we needed, etc. The room choices are all fantastic, and no matter which room you choose will result in a very memorable stay!

Room Tip: The Jungle Penthouse does not get much wind or ocean sounds, so if that is important you should avoi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Jason B

Thank you for your nice review! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for sharing your room tips about Jungle Penthouse. You are correct, this room is located in the upper level of our garden building, so it does not catch that ocean breeze. We have added additional fans to the room to make up for this, however like you said, most of your time was spent out of the room, on the beach or exploring the area. It's still a wonderful room for larger groups needing the additional space.