“Amazing!”

Ranked #9 of 92 Hotels in Tulum
Connecticut
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

My fiance and I just returned after spending a week here over the Thanksgiving holiday. We stayed in Casa Blanca, which has a great view of the ocean from your porch chair/hammock. At night, you fall asleep with the sounds of the waves crashing and the ocean breezes coming right into your room. You cant beat that!
This hotel has some of the friendliest staff I have ever encountered. Edmonda, the general manager, treats the place as if it were her own. The waitstaff in the restaurant, Las Estrellas, as well as the housekeeping staff are very genuine and do not make you feel that you are putting them out. Oscar, a waiter in the restaurant is wonderful! He remembers all the guests names and he was very good at remembering our drink and food preferences! The food at Las Estrellas is amazing - their is a slight Mediterranean influence, but not enough to be put off by it. The menu still has plenty of traditional Mexican fare. There is a Continental breakfast included with the room, which includes fresh fruit and homemade bread and jam. The jam rotates - during our week we had pineapple, strawberry and mango. It was so amazing I was eating it straight with a spoon! The homemade bread is very good as well. They also have a full breakfast menu - all choices are great. For dinner, my favorite was the grouper - try it. They also have specials each night. Everything is made fresh, so dont expect a quick meal - its vacation - so go with the flow. If you want to order food or drinks on the beach, its easiest to go to the bar and place your order - they really dont have anyone specifically that works on the beach. They will bring it to you on the beach.
There are a few things to get used to, as others mentioned, namely the non-flushing of toilet paper and the salt water showers, but you must remember where you are. The beach is one of the prettiest Ive seen - the sand so powdery soft, no rocks. They clean the beach each morning so there is no seaweed or other washed up items. You can walk for quite awhile down or up the beach in either direction.
The housekeeping staff is incredibly thorough. Each morning they make the bed, empty all trash, straighten up, restock toiletries, sweep the porch and wash the floor. At night, they put up the mosquito net, straighten up, clean all trash, restock, sweep the porch and mop the floor again. The room was spotless the entire time. They did a great job.
One thing to note - bring bugspray and at night - before you go to dinner, spray your legs and make sure you get your ankles. I found that I didnt realize I needed it until I was already bitten, but once I took preventative measures, it was fine.
I cant say enough good things about this place and the staff. Kuamy is another manager who is also great, and Cesar another waiter is also very good. We are looking to go back next year already.

Room Tip: I feel the best room is the Captain Dale's Quarters, which accommodates 2-6. It is the closest t...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ladylaw7
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
What a wonderful review! Thank you for taking a moment to write such a detailed review of your experience at La Luna. We do have a great staff and are happy that you had such a wonderful time with them. As you mentioned, you cannot flush paper in this region and that does take getting used to for some, but we do what we can at La Luna to respect the environment of the region that we are in and this is how it has to be. And yes! You are right about those pesky mosquitoes. Better to take preventative measures! Sounds like it didn't bother you much and so we hop we have the opportunity to welcome you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
  • Korean first
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2013

It is definately the staff and the food that made our stay so memorable. Four of us stayed for 6 nights in the jungle penthouse.I had not looked at the website very carefully so didnt realise that the 2 bedrooms were only divided by a louvred wall, we soon got used to being in close proximity with our friends who are quite easy going.

We did eat out a a few times but nothing was as good as the food here.Also the staff were really friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I loved to look into the kitchen and thank the chefs for the delicious food they provided. Freshly made bread was made every day.Good selection of Mexican wines. This was our first visit to Mexico and the best thing about it are the people, so friendly. Will certainly return to Cabanas la luna and Mexico.

Room Tip: The jungle penthouse would not be my choice of room if I returned, it was quite dark, although they...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for a nice review! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff. They are a great team and we are lucky to have them representing Cabanas La Luna. As you mentioned, Jungle Penthouse is another one of our cabanas that has an open format. If you're group is looking for complete privacy between rooms, I do recommend Villa Zanzibar or the smaller cabanas. Regardless, it doesn't sound like it affected your stay (it helps when you are traveling with great friends like yours). We are happy that you enjoyed the restaurant! We've been working hard to develop the menu and create something different from the rest of the beach. If you have a moment, we would love it if you could review our restaurant on the restaurant page for Las Estrellas (if you haven't already). Again, thank you for taking the time to share your experience at La Luna. We hope to welcome you back soon!
McLean, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Cabanas La Luna and had a wonderful time. Overall, we’d recommend it, but make sure you are not expecting a luxury experience. Everything was wonderful and we would go back again, but we had to gear back our expectations a bit at the beginning.

The place had lots of pluses. It’s a location that can’t be beat on a beautiful part of the beach. The date we picked for our stay just happened to coincide with a full moon, and it was eerily beautiful walking down the beach at night. We never get to see that many stars in Washington. We would have hesitated walking down the beach at night to another restaurant for dinner, not for fear of crime but because of the darkness. Pick a time to go when the moon is full, if possible.

The food at the hotel restaurant (Las Estrellas) was wonderful. Service at the restaurant was extremely attentive, especially Oscar, who attended to our every need and was extremely nice to be around and capable at his job. Everyone on the staff who we met was equally warm and helpful. This is the only hotel I’ve been where I felt comfortable enough to find out a little something about the staff members and where there were good-bye hugs at the end of our stay. We were made to feel at home, especially by Kwame (sp?), Ruben, Edmundta, and the maid staff. Unseen by us (but equally appreciated) were the kitchen staff, security, etc etc.

The room (Casa Blanca) grew on us. A bit of warning: don’t expect air conditioning. It’s not there and it doesn’t look like it’s coming anytime soon. That’s because of the hotel’s policy of adhering to eco-tourism standards. (This may apply to most, perhaps almost all of the other hotels in the hotel zone of Tulum – you may want to inquire before booking if A/C is important to you.) The room came provisioned with two fans – one above the queen size bed and another free-standing one that made sleeping absolutely fine. Without it, the night-time heat would have probably made it hard to get through the night. Also, the water from the tap and in the shower is slightly salty, but they put a big jug of nice fresh water for your use in each room. Another warning: the policy of not putting toilet paper down the john; I think that affects not only this hotel but every one in Tulum, a town that prides itself on its eco-tourism standards.

Our room (Casa Blanca) was big enough for us two (but not very spacious). My wife and I felt a bit of a shock when we entered the room for the first time. For one thing, we wondered if it had enough shelf space. There actually turned out to be enough, if you take advantage of all the shelves and spaces for hangers. There are no closets in the room. I wish the floor surface in the bathroom area had been smooth rather than stone-and-stucco (rough on the feet). The bathroom area in this room (but probably not all the rooms in the hotel) is not private; it’s separated from the rest of the room by a five-foot-high wall. If you can swing the price, it might be better to choose the room right above Casa Blanca (Marrakech) or, better yet, Captain Dale. I’d say that Capt. Dale is probably the best on the property, with a really nice deck and quite large. In our room, we had a wonderful breeze inside (when we could leave the door open) and while sitting on the front patio, but Capt. Dale is superior in that respect. Casa Blanca, Marrakech and Capt. Dale are all ocean-front, with a great view of the ocean and a breeze. I don’t know much about the other rooms.

My wife and I enjoyed the other sites and doings in Tulum, especially visiting the Mayan ruins at Coba, Muyil and Tulum; swimming and snorkeling in the Dos Ojos cenote; and especially a trip to the Sian Ka’an nature (biosphere) preserve. (We had a wonderful time viewing the archeological sites and floating down the river in Sian Ka’an.) The only negative of staying in Tulum is the LONG drive from Cancun. We had a rental car (which I’d consider necessary if you land in Cancun), and the ride south on 307 to Tulum is at least 1 hour and 45 minutes. You won’t be able to find a car in Cancun with automatic transmission or GPS (at least at the National rental outlet).

All in all, my wife and I strongly recommend Cabanas La Luna. It was wonderful.

Room Tip: See paragraph 5 of the main review.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Martin S
Thank you for your detailed review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and recommend us to others. As you mentioned, our beachfront cabanas do not have A/C, this is the case with many hotels in the area. However, we do have A/C in Garden Suite, Jungle Penthouse and the two ground floors of Villa Zanzibar, so if A/C is what you need, then we do have the option available. You are right about the bathroom in Casa Blanca. This is the same for a few other cabanas. If you are looking for private bathrooms, I would recommend Marrakech and Captain Dale's Quarters.
Again, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. I know we weren't initially what you expected, but it sounds like you were able to enjoy the stay regardless. I am glad our staff was able to help!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

I absolutely adored my stay at La Luna. I stayed for 4 nights in Captain Dale's Quarters and it was like paradise. I came with my family of four and we ate in the restaurant every breakfast, lunch and dinner. The food was exquisite, fairly expensive, but definitely worth the price. I loved the fresh homemade lemonades and every cocktail I sampled was great. No air-con was needed as the fans and ventilation worked effectively and the rooms were bright and spacious during the day and very well lit at night - especially for an eco-friendly establishment. The staff were amazing, especially Oscar who served us our food for the majority of the time, making the stay very comfortable, helping us book taxis and giving us information on local ruins and cenotes. I loved every minute of it and would completely recommend it to anyone looking to stay on the beach in Tulum! You can't get any better.

Rwby, Noah, Jo & Johnny

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Rwby
CabanasLaLuna, Manager at Cabanas La Luna, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us in Captain Dale's Quarters! We are thrilled that it worked perfectly for your family. It is our largest beachfront cabana, great for bigger groups, families or couples who want the extra space. We are almost happy to hear you enjoyed the food in our restaurant, as well as the staff. A great staff can make all the difference! We hope that you choose La Luna once more, the next time you visit Tulum!
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

There's a reason why Cabanas La Luna is rated so highly on TA. It's a beautifully quaint hotel in a wonderful location on the beach, and is run by very friendly staff where nothing is too much trouble. We stayed at the Villa Zanzibar with our own kitchen facilities, lounge area and pool. It was extremely enjoyable and very relaxing. For us it was a great opportunity to hang out and catch up with family in a beautiful setting. La Luna really is a gorgeous place with some of the most friendly staff i have ever encountered, it was a Pina Colada paradise.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Taliesin979
Thank you for your kind review of Villa Zanzibar. We are glad to hear your group enjoyed the amenities that Villa Zanzibar has to offer! It makes us happy to hear that you enjoyed our staff as well! If you ever plan a trip back to Tulum, we hope to welcome you back once more.
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

I was just at Cabanas La Luna for 4 nights in November. I knew that it must be wonderful, from all the advice of the Tulum Forum experts. I booked it only a month ahead of time, and it must have been meant to be, because everything was booked out for that month, except the Christopher Columbus cabin for the exact 4 nights that I needed!

Being a solo traveler, I wanted to make sure that I was made welcome by the staff, as that is always truly what makes a place special. I assumed too, that the other travelers there would be just as friendly! The staff was exceptional, always going above and beyond to make sure I had what I would want, whether it be a custom drink, honey for my tea/coffee, extra broom to keep in my room, extra towels, etc. etc. I felt that everyone was truly genuine in wanting to help me and make my stay special. Oscar was wonderful to talk to and practice my Spanish with, and patient. Kuamy was always so kind and helpful, with a smile. Ruben went out of his way to help me find another hotel on my 5th night. The housekeeping girls were super sweet and so thorough, and security guards kind and ever present at night. Oh yes, I highly recommend the oatmeal for breakfast and Oscar makes a yummy stiff drink!

When I left on my 5th night for a very nice, but much more expensive hotel, the customer service, warmth was very lacking, and at times uncomfortable. I had also decided to stay there bc some of my friends from San Francisco were there, but when I went to visit for La Luna the next morning, it became even more apparent, what a truly special place, La Luna was.

So, my cabana was darling, I loved the huge outdoor space, where I could use the table, and lay in the hammock. The massage lady, Veronica was out of this world with her hot stones, and a complete sweetheart! I advise obtaining it! The girls would come in the in late afternoon/early evening to tuck the mosquito net tight, and I barely received any bites! (the ceiling fan in the bed and also extra standing fan were great)

I ventured out to Akumal and the Cenotes, walked to Yoga Shala and La Zebra for salsa night, but mainly read a ton of books and enjoyed other guests! (slept a lot too!)

I had the most amazing trip to Tulum, mainly bc of Cabanas La Luna!

Room Tip: I had the Christopher Columbus which would be great for couples or solo travelers.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Helen S
What a wonderful and detailed review! Thank you for the effort you put in to sharing your experience with us at La Luna. You described exactly what we have been trying to achieve, a family like experience where you feel like you're at a home away from home. I am glad you felt that way. Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back to our family very soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Had a great 4 night stay at La Luna a few weeks ago and couldn't have been more impressed. Stayed in the Garden Suite which is slightly off the beach but quaint and quiet and nicely furnished. Really enjoyed meals at Estrella which has a very romantic Morocan vibe. Every meal we had there was great. The Wed night BBQ was also extremely well organized and was a tasty feast. Been to a Tulum a few times now and La Luna is on best part of the beach IMO, everything was first class. Great stay, thanks Edmonda & staff! JW

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for a kind review! We are so happy to know you think our beach is one of the best! I am glad you enjoyed your stay in Garden Suite! This room doesn't get a lot of review so it's nice to hear your kind words about this room and your stay with us. We hope to welcome you back to our stretch of beach soon.