“The Perfect Cabana”
Review of Cabanas La Luna

Cabanas La Luna
Ranked #11 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed November 6, 2011

I stayed at Cabanas La Luna for five days in November, and the experience was perfect for me and my husband.

We stayed in Robinson Crusoe, which is the best cabana they have. It is small, detatched, yet right on the ocean. So it was quiet, and we had our own little sand trail to the beach, about ten steps away. We could see the sunrise from our bed.

The place is small, not many rooms, so it never felt overrun or loud. The service was excellent too. Rueben and Kamal in particular were helpful and attentive hosts. If anything was ever off, they would fix it. One night the wifi didn't work (I know, who goes to a cabana beach resort and needs wifi? I just wanted to email my family to say we'd arrived). They didn't fix it that night but when I woke up it worked fine.

The free breakfast is on the small side for a big eater like myself, but it was tasty. I'll review their restaurant in another review. The service at breakfast was superb.

This is a place for travellers who want to be far from trendy or all-inclusive resorts. The decor is Mexican beach funky, and on the rustic side. I never felt uncomfortable, far from it. But it isn't more than a quaint and charmingly appointed cabana. So things that would be unacceptable elsewhere, like low shower head pressure or a couple of mosquitos (few if any with the ocean breeze flowing) were exactly what I wanted. The room was super cool and comfortable at night too.

We are already organizing ourselves to come here twice a year: the value is so worth it. I hate hotels that overcoddle or completely ignore you. This place is more like staying with friends. They'll serve you drinks and see to it your room is comfortable and clean, but otherwise they leave you to be with the stunning beach and your own private little house.

• Stayed: November 2011
4  Thank jitzutravels
There are newer reviews for Cabanas La Luna

Reviewed October 2, 2011

I recently completed my fourth stay at Cabanas La Luna in mid-September, and every time I go it just reiterates to me what a great place it is. The property is beautiful, the staff and service are really amazing. This is actually my first full stay since the new restaurant has kicked in, and the food there is just incredible. I'll write another review in the restaurants section, but while the wonderful Moroccan-fusion cuisine for dinner is spectacular (had the shrimp tagine and a lobster special), they also do great Mexican food during the daytime. The breakfast chilaquiles, the nachos at lunchtime, the margaritas, all some of the best on the beach road. And OMG the french toast at breakfast! Wow!

OK, the rooms are all beautiful, as has been mentioned in other reviews, and even during the hottest week I have ever had in Mexico, the two fans I had pointed right on me all night worked great and I ended up under the covers every night. One rainy morning was cool enough for perfect lazing around in bed, even.

I stayed in two rooms; Marrakech, which has two separate sleeping areas, a door on the bathroom and a fabulous deck, up on the second floor for a great view, and Robinson Crusoe, which used to be the smallest room in the place, but the day I left was torn apart for renovation. That's one great thing about La Luna, they never rest on their laurels, always improving things to keep at the head of the pack of an ever-growing Tulum, AND they do the work in the slow season, actually close down to get it done. This season they've re-done several palapas and the new Crusoe. Can't wait to see what's next!

Thanks to Jacob and Ruben and Kwami and Gonzalo and the whole crew, love you guys!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank Beachreader
Reviewed September 29, 2011

My husband and I picked La Luna for our destination wedding and then stayed on a few more days. It was perfect. We literally had zero problems/issues. I did a lot of research on hotels in the area beforehand, and found La Luna’s prices among the most reasonable (not the cheapest but a good value for money), and once we were there we also felt like it was one of the best spots in terms of design, and is on a perfect stretch of beach. The staff are really excellent, including Jacob, the on-site manager, the two main guys who manage in the AM/PM, Kwami and Ruben, and the bartenders and housekeepers. Since we booked the whole place, we saw all the different rooms and i think there is something that will work for most people. Re: the comments about bathrooms not being private, this is true of the 3 cabanas, but there are quite a few rooms with closed door bathrooms. For people planning a group trip: Anita was very helpful by email with booking out the whole place to host our group, and was flexible as we adjusted dates and constantly moved people’s room assignments. She also worked out a very reasonable rate for us to cover a 3 course dinner for all our guests for two nights, which was great as La Luna’s restaurant is one of the nicest on that part of the beach. For anyone getting married: For the ceremony itself, Anita and Jacob were both really helpful, and frankly made the whole thing more beautiful than we were planning while totally respecting our limited budget and interest in keeping things simple. FYI, we were there in early September and saw 2 night thunderstorms and 9.5 sunny days out of ten, with minimal mosquitoes in the rooms and most other places, except for after the storms/at night. If you are really worried about the heat or mosquitos (or storms), pick the time you go carefully - you could find other hotels with ACs and/or more closed off rooms/not cabanas, but the experience of the beach will be different. Overall, this was perfect for us. I would definitely return and highly recommend La Luna for vacation or wedding.

Room Tip: beach front cabanas are smaller but have a fair breeze and amazing view, as do marakech and dale roo...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank JehanB
Reviewed September 24, 2011

La luna is a magical place! It is beautiful, very clean, staff is very nice and the beach is great, i really do not have any complaints.
However, some things you need to know... Lotsif mosquitos, especially t night so come prepared... And the thing that was not so good... We stayed here for 3 nights in august and hardly slept... The rooms (and most of the places on tulum beach) do not have ac, they have a fan which doesnt cool much, and the breeze is ok but the mosquito net is in the way...
The place is great, but if you suffer
From heat as do we, you should take this into consideration if youre planning on going at the hot months...

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank adina85
Reviewed September 13, 2011

I recently visited Tulum and stated at Cabanas La Luna and cannot recommend it highly enough. Arriving in Tulum there are a plethora of cabanas to choose from – but this place really has it all, at an extremely reasonable price.

The cabanas each have so much personality and charm. They are clean and bright and situated directly on the beach, which means they are in a prime position to capture the refreshing sea breeze. It also means it is merely a hop, skip and a jump to the beach! Tulum beach is exquisite – but given the extreme heat, it is necessary to have umbrellas to escape the hot mid-day sun. Cabanas La Luna has comfortable chairs which guests are welcome to use – and staff who are more than happy to bring you a cold beer to further ease the heat! The restaurant is only a stone’s throw away and serves delicious food (which can also be delivered to your beach chair, should you choose not to move!)

The staff were all extremely friendly and accommodating – and provided efficient, relaxed and friendly service. I would highly reccommend staying here should you be lucky enough to find yourself in Tulum in the near future!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank Penny B
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I stayed at this amazing location with some friends after we had had traveled (and partied) our way through NYC, Cancun & Playa del Carmen...it was perfect! The beach location is stunning, and the rooms were clean and tranquil...our intention was to relax and chill out and Cabanas La Luna certainly delivered. The personalised service we received was outstanding, nothing was too much of a problem for the friendly and attentive staff and manager. We enjoyed our stay with cocktails on the beach and some great food at the restaurant! I highly recommend this hotel if you are looking for a relaxed stay in the beautiful Tulum!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ezmay79
Reviewed September 7, 2011

The room was very clean, the staff was very nice with us and the location was simply paradisiac. The restaurant also offered good food for a decent price in the area. Excellent place to stay if you're not interested in the "All inclusive" formula but still want to spend a week in the Riviera Maya area.

Room Tip: Marakech had an amazing ocean view, plus it is on the second floor!
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple