“Follow bliss...go to Cabanas La Luna!”
Review of Cabanas La Luna

Cabanas La Luna
Ranked #12 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed July 10, 2011

My 12 yr. old daughter, niece, sister, and I stayed at Cabanas la Luna for almost a week for a family wedding. We were booked into the "Captain Dale" cabana...and LOVED it! Full of beautiful rustic charm, and with everything we needed to relax and enjoy it's INCREDIBLE location. The cabana was large, clean, and decorated very tastefully...very much in keeping with the "Robinson Crusoe" feel, and with splashes of great Mexican colours everywhere. The authentic and gorgeous Mexican hand-painted sinks in the large and clean bathroom were to die for! ( In fact, I so seriously wished I had a MUCH bigger suitcase to buy one for myself to bring home...but alas, maybe next time.. ;-))

My daughter and I shared the main level's huge and comfy king-sized bed, and with the completely silent whisper fan directly overhead going all night, and the delicate netted canopy draped around the bed, we slept well, and felt like tropical princesses! My sister and her daughter took the two beds in the upstairs loft, and also slept comfy and well. (Note*...maybe not such a good idea to have too many of the bar's tasty margaritas beforehand though...the stairs going up to the loft are rather steep, and narrow, as they will both attest to! lol)

The shower worked well enough to rinse off all the sand and seaweed, and was totally refreshing, with plenty of water. Very private bathroom, in an adjoined room with solid door. Lots of windows with lower louvered shutters to let in the beautiful sea breezes on main level, and good opaque curtains for absolute privacy, as there are other little cabanas and pathways next to it. We felt VERY secure and perfectly safe in this cabana, as well as anywhere else at this gorgeous little resort. I would not hesitate to stay there alone, anytime. The staff are wonderful...friendly and helpful. And FUN! Great food and drink abound at the lovely restaurant, and the service was always excellent. The continental breakfast was a tasty and nutritious way to start the day...and the freshly brewed coffee was excellent!

I can't end this review without mentioning the lovely, LOVELY palapa-style deck...with a huge trunk made into a wonderfully rustic and quaint table, two super comfy hammocks, and a view to die for! It overlooks the gorgeous white sand beach, crystal-clear turquoise Caribbean sea...and with plenty of large exotic shade and privacy-giving heavenly coconut palms hugging the cabana. This was my most favourite place to relax...especially after a great meal from Las Estrellas, and a beautiful swim in a beautiful sea in such a beautiful place. Pure BLISS! :-)

I also can't end this without mentioning a magical night there that I will NEVER forget...the very friendly and wonderful security guard named Abraham who came to ask me and my sister one night if we wanted to see "una tortuga" on the beach. We sat with him for quite some time watching a magnificent HUGE white turtle laying her 100+ eggs in the sand close to our cabana. He was so knowledgable and told us so much about these amazing creatures, and was one of the kindest men I have ever met, as we could tell he cared deeply for these endangered gentle giants. Muchas gracias to him for forever!!! :-)

Sorry, I know this review has almost become a book...but I just have so much good to say about this place. Trust me, I could go on even more, but suffice to say now...Cabanas La Luna is a FABULOUS place, and is a true paradise on earth! CHECK IT OUT ....I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend it to anyone!!! :-)

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank CarolAnne1960

Reviewed July 7, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for four nights in July 2011. Cabanas La Luna provided exactly what we were looking for: an uncrowded, laid-back beach vacation where we could quietly soak in the sun, swim the turquoise waters, and relax to nothing but the sound of the crashing waves.

The hotel is situated in a great location along the best stretch of beach we saw in Tulum. The beach is all powdery, white sand. No rocks at all. We saw someone out there every morning raking up seaweed, so the beach was always immaculate. The loungers on the beach are pretty big, about the size of a full bed. Most (but not all) are covered by an umbrella. Getting a covered lounger wasn't much of an issue though. Some days, we were the only people taking advantage of La Luna's beach at all. Granted we were there during the low season. But we were told the hotel was completely booked, and still it felt like we had our own private beach at times.

The hotel restaurant Las Estrellas was truly excellent. And the bar made the best mojito I've ever had. We only ate dinner there our first night, but it was one of the best meals we had during our entire trip. We made it a point to try different restaurants every evening, but at the end of our stay I found myself regretting not eating at Las Estrellas more often. We did take the complimentary breakfast every morning though. It was simply a plate of fruits with toast, but the fruit was always very fresh and tasty. The coffee was brewed strong just the way I like, and the orange juice was fresh squeezed.

We stayed in Casa Blanca, a cozy, one room cabana with a king size bed. The cabana is probably less than 100 yards from the water and has a great view of the ocean framed by palm trees. The room was a good size for a couple like us. It wasn't overly big, but we definitely didn't find ourselves wanting for any additional space. There was enough room for our suitcases and plenty of shelf space for our things. The bathroom wasn't so much a room, but more of an area in the back of the cabana separated by a low wall. This wasn't an issue for a married couple like us for whom there are no secrets. But for a couple in the early blossom of love who've yet to reveal to each other that they in fact perform bodily functions, it's worth noting that there is some, but not total privacy in the bath"room".

Cabanas La Luna isn't for everyone. If you're looking for ultra modern luxury or the Cancun party vibe, this is not the place for you. But if you're looking for a charming locale for a relaxing stay on one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, then you'd be hard pressed to find a better place anywhere in Tulum.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Niki S
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I'm a slacker. We stayed here in April 2010. It was incredible.

After having our luggage stolen from our rental car (it's a longer story than that) ten minutes after arriving in Playa del Carmen, we seriously considered trying to go home the following day. Instead, we hit Wal-Mart (we were desperate!) and drove to La Luna. Smart decision, to say the least.

Room: amazing, a little rustic, two hundred feet from the ocean. If you need a spotless, tiled bathroom, this may not be the place for you. If you've ever been camping, it shouldn't be a problem. The best feature was that we had a second story balcony overlooking the beach, to which the staff brought our breakfast every morning. Wow.

Food: really excellent. We only ate one non-breakfast meal on-site, but it was incredibly tasty. Breakfast is completely adequate, with in-season fruit being the highlight.

Staff: very friendly and helpful.

Beach puppies: the friendliest litter-mate puppies were hanging around the place. That was endless entertainment.

To sum it up, I was thrilled with the whole thing. There may be some cheaper places nearby, but I think you definitely get what you pay for here.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 10, 2011

If you're after luxurious accommodation, then don't stay here. But if you want something completely different and with a lot of character, Cabanas La Luna will definitely meet your requirements. We came for a friends wedding, and fortunately they had the whole place booked out. This place was perfect for a wedding or a whole group getaway. The beach is absolutely stunning, and within the hotel is a pool and lounge area, with its own bar, that is perfect for large groups.
To be honest, I think "eco-chic" is just an excuse for them to charge you more and give you less. We payed nearly US$200 a night, and I really don't think it was worth it. The shower in our room sprayed less water than a hose, and after spending so much time in the salty water and sand, this is definitely something that I missed. The cabanas were very cute and had lots of character, but our room didn't have a separate toilet or shower area, so privacy wasn't really an option.
The staff were really friendly and helpful, the food was fantastic, and the area was beautiful. I would recommend staying here, but just be aware that it's not luxury accommodation.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank IntrepidTraveller98
Reviewed June 10, 2011

We stayed at this hotel in May for celebrating my boyfriend's birthday. We live in Playa del Carmen and were looking for spending the weekend in Tulum. We decided to explore this place thanks to the great reviews at TripAdvisor. We booked the Zanzibar villa, which is the largest one and has 4 bedrooms, a kitchenette, which is very convenient as you can even bring your own food. The villa has its own private pool (heated!), nice terrace, outdoor dining area, living area with comfy sofas, lounge chairs... everything you need! They have other types of cabanas for couples or bigger ones for 4 people or 6 like us so they have a good mix of categories but only 8 in total! Even though our villa was not right on the beach, it was a few steps of it. Continental breakfast at their little restaurant is included but you can also order something else (at extra charge) from the menu. We had the best breakfast at the terrace which is in front of the beach. The beach is incredible! very wide and calm, but also very quite ambiance so you can really relax there. We cooked in our villa so didn't have the chance to try the restaurant for dinner, but they offer Marrakesh food (a little overpriced) which looks pretty good from the menu. Bikes are also available for you to explore Tulum although we really didn't do that as we LOVED our villa and didn't want to leave! Staff and service is AMAZING, you feel just like home and they are super friendly and accommodating. I can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Great options for all different travelers
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 6, 2011

Tulum has become my favourite destination to escape to from the madness of New York City life to a place you could only describe as paradise.
Now having been there 3 times (and planning the 4th!), I have stayed at different resorts and pretty much explored most on offer. I can honestly say that there is none other that compares to Cabanas La Luna. It is for me by far the most beautiful, peaceful, convenient and enchanting of all the resorts in Tulum.
The restaurant Las Estrellas serves up delicious authentic Mexican cuisine along with a Moroccan fusion twist which works exceptionally well. The cocktails are mouthwateringly good. Although the Margarita is the signature Mexican cocktail, try La Luna's Mojito, it's the best I've tasted!
The staff are so attentive, friendly and always there at your service, something I can say is not a given at other Tulum resorts I have stayed at. Jacob the manager is amazing. He will welcome you and make sure you have the best experience throughout your entire stay there.
The cabanas are gorgeous, clean and comfortable and the decor fun and authentic.
Their stretch of beach is also one of the nicest in Tulum and the sun-loungers are like big double beds! Lounge on the beach under an umbrella hearing the waves roll in and out while Jacob and his staff take ultimate care of you.
I would highly recommend choosing Cabanas La Luna for your stay in Tulum and if you're thinking of planning a beach wedding this is the place! Two years ago my friends got married at La Luna and it was the most beautiful wedding I've ever been to.
So look no further, book in advance though because it's growing popularity means it gets booked up fast.
Enjoy!

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MillyNYC
Reviewed May 27, 2011

If you're looking for a rustic paradise away from the hustle of Cancun, then this is absolutely where you should be. My wife and I only ate at the restaurant on the site once, and we wished we had done that more often. The food was excellent, just as you would expect from a hotel in Tulum. The beach was the best strip that we found in the whole area.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple