All reviews real coconut yoga studio beach side outdoor bath jungle pool healthy menu yoga center yoga experience sound healing yoga classes in the morning green juice healthy eating onsite restaurant heart and soul partial view jungle suite luxury resort
Selected filters
Reviewed January 28, 2015

Tulum Beach is completely stunning. True Caribbean with golden sand, delightful palm trees and with a backdrop of jungle. Sanara is newly built with a delightful contemporary styling that blends with and utilises the natural beauty of the beach. It is clear so much care has gone into this vision and the use of very high quality materials and simple furnishings is a perfect blend.
Though at the time of visiting there was still some work being completed to the restaurant and some therapy rooms, the staff and management were excellent at ensuring there was minimised inconvenience.
The beach rooms are delightful with great views and a very relaxing feel.
Can't wait to be back .... this will be the place to stay in Tulum, for sure.....

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Harold D
Reviewed January 27, 2015

Tulum is a given location so never worry about that! The climate is wonderful and the water is the best in the world.. so it is paradise and all the hotels and places to stay share the same beach so it is about where you stay and the vibe within.

.... the good news is that hand on heart, Sanara absolutely delivered. I have returned home, energy restored, with a smile on my face!

The location of Sanara, is great because it is boutique, but bang in the middle section, exactly where one would want it to be for its proximity to all of my favourite hangouts. The fact the beach front restaurant had not yet opened was not an issue personally as the whole joy of Tulum is all the vast choice of great places to eat every day within a flip flop away.

When we arrived we were greeted by several happy smiling faces which was a good start. I loved that we walked through the open reception area, straight onto the sandy pathways towards our rooms. If you've never seen the colour of the sea in Tulum you are in for a treat. It takes your breath away.

Our rooms were perfectly positioned at an angle from the beach to avoid the on shore wind I expect.. and when we got inside our room we were really happy with the space. As the sun set, the room came into its own with the lovely retro lighting and fittings. In fact at this point we were so excited about the vibe of our room, that we didn't really want to go out.

We stayed a few nights on the ground level then moved to the upper floor. I personally loved the ground floor rooms. One of the best features was a totally private outdoor back courtyard/oasis with sliding glass doors back into the bedroom. It had a nicely positioned pristine hammock and a lovely retro style outdoor bath. This made for the perfect quiet place to read and relax in private. The biggest tick for me though was the bedding and SHEETS! THEY ARE SO unbelievably soft I am hoping i can find out where to get some. There was also a small 'double' sized day bed which could be made up as another bed in a little alcove on the other side of the room which was also nice spot for relaxing and reading.

The wellness centre is in the hotel grounds towards the beach just behind reception. I enjoyed two incredible massages there.. one from a wonderful mayan called Leo, (who is one of the best masseurs in tulum), who got me to me a point of total relaxation that I practically 'left my body' and hallucinated about how the room looked! It was quite amazing. I also had a different kind of massage from another lady who was very gifted and intuitive with where she chose to work - she just got to the bottom of the my back problem and hurts and really worked them out of my body.. I was completely invigorated after that treatment which was so surprising. As my intention was to do as much 'healing' as possible during my stay at Sanara, i made it a point on day one of working out what yoga class I might attend and what treatments to book, which I chatted through with the lady that runs the wellness centre. That way I felt they could all be organised throughout the week without me having to think about it again. I was even located on the beach with a smile by one of the wellness staff, to let me know my therapist was ready so it really was very easy to get pampered and not feelings of rushing which is just what i needed.

Regarding the Yoga, it is all very relaxed, so you can see how you feel on the morning, and just check in for whatever class suits your plans for the day. The yoga space is very much talk of the town as it sit right on the beach with glass fronted sliding doors.. to be inside it doing yoga there, on new years eve morning, looking out at the ocean view with the lovely breeze of wind coming through into the room.. well frankly it does not get better than that. I just had a big smile on my face thinking how lucky i was. We had a sweet teacher that day who did a special session to welcome in 2015. My teenage daughter joined me and she loved it too. You certainly don't have to be a Yoga pro to enjoy Sanara because the classes are un-intimidating. We were a nice mix of beginners and first timers.. and there were more advanced classes for those who have been doing it for years. I love that there are plenty of treatments to look forward to but i also just enjoyed being in this quiet oasis on Tulum beach amongst so many great places to enjoy.

Someone else said they thought a shorter class would be good.. and I agree with that thought. Some mornings I could have just done with a well thought out 45 minute session to 'set me up for the day' e.g. a few sun salutations and morning stretches, followed by a dip and then breakfast! I am sure as times goes things will evolve and they will fine tune the classes to suit the clients needs. They were certainly very happy to receive any feedback for that reason.

What I really appreciated was that over the week the relationship I had built with Carolyn who ran the wellness centre, meant that she was thinking on my behalf and at the very end of the week over a chat she thought for a moment and then suggested a session with a very special healer ... I really cannot thank her enough for that, as she was spot on.

The proof is in the pudding as we say.. i have now been back for two weeks and I am still riding on a high from my time there.

A few other things.. Reception were very helpful in getting me a taxi/tour man to take us to Coba and it was well worth it as he then took us to some amazing Cenotes and we managed to have a wonderful trip and back for 1.30pm lunch! They also found some lost items on the beach, and small details such as some hair products that i had left in the shower the day before from my ground floor room, were brought to my new room within minutes of me enquiring whether they had been found?

I can't wait to return for more.

Room tip: downstairs room romantic with private back courtyard - a must for romantics. upstairs have a lovely ocean view veranda.. so for clear slightly elevated ocean views.. a front balcony ..
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank snowclogs
Reviewed January 27, 2015

We stayed in a tamarind upper level room with ocean view, probably the best room available at this hotel. The room was beautiful and they have certainly got the design spot on. Partial sea view. All the best views are enjoyed by the yoga hall and the treatment facility, and we were left with the feeling that this hotel really didn’t care that much for the hotel guests but rather all focus will be on the yoga and treatments.

All hotels around have beautiful arrangements of sun-chairs and related services. At Sanara they had just simply thrown out a few mattresses and that was it. Yes there were maybe two previously built wood parasols. No care what so ever for making its clients comfortable. There wasn’t even a chair where you could read a book reasonable comfortable. And if you got thirsty in the sun, well then you better go to another hotel and ask for something cold.

No restaurant, they informed us only when we asked previously to booking that it would be finished by end of December, naturally it wasn’t, building was ongoing. So there was no food or cold drinks at this hotel which apparently aims and charges for a very high level of accommodation. The only service they had was bike rentals which they charged $15 per person, 1 minute down the road they charged $10 at a bike rental.

We ended up sleeping very comfortably at Sanara but then we could not wait to get up and out of this hotel to enjoy breakfast, beach life, drinks, lunch at other fantastic hotels with really great service. And clearly next time we go to Tulum, which we will as its beautiful, we will be staying at one of those places. We can highly recommend Ana and Jose, Ziggys and La Zebra, or Be Tulum if you’re ok with being slightly further away.

My wife really enjoyed the Yoga at Sanara, she also did some treatments she liked. But we both concluded that we rather stay at another hotel for all services and then one could go to Sanara for the yoga if one wished.

The webpage gives you the illusion that they have a restaurant, there is even a food and drinks menu available. This is clearly false advertising.

During 7 days, we never saw the owners, the staff manage it all but with no decision making power to handle any issues.

Summarizing, nice room but for the price you pay it was a very poor experience as this hotel lacks facilities and customer care.

5  Thank CMRs1
SanaraTulum, Manager at Sanara Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2015

Thank you so much for your comments regarding your stay with us. The aspects of your stay that you liked are much appreciated, such as our rooms, finishings and yoga hall together with your own ability to sleep really well. Coming on holiday and sleeping well is essential.

When you come back to Tulum and your wife takes a yoga class in our beach side Studio please come by the restaurant for a smoothie or juice. They will be on us! The restaurant and bar is now serving delicious food and drink to our customers. In addition we are putting up more and more shade on our beach as the sun continues to shine! You came at an early time in Sanara's opening life and we really hope that we will have you back again. We look forward to it.

Reviewed January 24, 2015

Such a wonderful spot! We visited Jan 16 - 19th. Despite having been open for only 6+ weeks, the experience was amazing! I hate to even write about it, as I am sure this place will quickly become a spot that is sold out months in advance! :)

Location: I could not ask for a better spot in Tulum. Close walk to many great restaurants (Simple, Hartwood, Casa Banana). The beach was absolutely gorgeous and with only 14 rooms currently open, it felt like we had it all to ourselves! Can walk for miles on the gorgeous white sand. Ocean was amazing for swimming as well.

Rooms: Brand new! Bed was very comfy. A/C and fan included (although the fan was a bit noisy). We had good wifi as well. The windows/doors did let in a fair amount of outside sound...being a light sleeper, had some early wake up calls due to the birds or workers walking nearby. No refrigeration or ice machines made for only warm beverages, but I don't believe you'll find this anywhere in Tulum. We had the room right behind the future restaurant which offered a great ocean view.

Amenities: Yoga studio was amazing. Classes are all 1.5 hours which is longer than I am used to and took me off the beach for too long :) The onsite restaurant/bar was not yet open, expected in February. Construction noise a little annoying at first, but quickly got used to it and it is limited to the hours of 10am - 5pm.. They just added rental bikes as well for exploring Tulum beach road, which was a nice addition...wish they would just include this. Nothing currently onsite as far as being able to purchase convenience items, but a small market just a 5 minute walk down the road.

Service: I give tremendous kudos and thanks to the Sanara staff for helping me retrieve a camera that was lost during our departure in a taxi. We could not figure out how the bag the camera was in was lost, but with the extraordinary efforts of the Sanara staff, they somehow tracked down our taxi driver who had found it in his trunk. They called me and arranged for him to bring it to Playa del Carmen....so very grateful for this above and beyond effort!

I would definitely stay at Sanara again...just hope I can get in once more people find this amazing gem! All the best to the owners and staff, you've created a wonderful retreat in paradise!

Date of stay: November 2014
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
SanaraTulum, Manager at Sanara Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2015

Dear Erin

Thank you so much for all your lovely comments and appreciation of everything you received and experienced during your stay at Sanara. It was great for us to add 6 bikes for guests to use around Tulum during their stay, and that you could be the first to benefit.

We note that you fear that Sanara may become too popular a destination. However please consider yourself part of the Sanara family and we look forward to your warm return visit from the cold of Minnesota. It was lovely loo that we could help in our way to retrieve your bag. The Maya and its inhabitants are good people indeed. Best regards until we see you both again.

Reviewed January 20, 2015

We traveled to Mexico for our honeymoon, and Sanara was our first stop. We loved what the location seems to offer, and were excited for the stay. We booked a Jungle Room, and paid for it all in advance - first mistake. These rooms are across the road from the hotel and the beach, and they are very noisy with traffic sounds including cars, generators from water and sewage pumping trucks.

Then, at 8am on our first morning, we were awoken to incredibly rhythmic and nonstop hammering. Saws followed, and an extremely loud generator. You guessed it - we were in the middle of a construction zone, with absolutely no forewarning. We traveled out to the beach, thinking it might blow over, only to find - you guessed it - more construction as they are working on their beach club.

Don't get me wrong - I appreciate that they are making improvements. However, when we complained we were told that the construction we were experiencing was not their fault, but their neighbors, and that they were not responsible for informing us ahead of time. After going back and forth with the manager (via text, she was not available in person) they offered to refund the room rate BUT NOT THE TAXES for half of our time there, provided we only stayed for half of the stay. This is owing to their outrageous cancellation policy of 60 days. Although this seemed like a very backhanded way to deal with the issue, we agreed, because all we wanted was to be in a lovely peaceful environment for our honeymoon.

They have still not refunded the money, and we still have not heard from the manager. I work in the hospitality industry, and this is pretty disgraceful, particularly for an establishment that aims to be higher end.

The room was lovely, and the front desk staff was as helpful as they could be, but they clearly did not have the authority to take care of this terrible situation. I would LOVE some resolution on this.

Room tip: Do not stay in the jungle rooms, you will be listening to the road all day and night.
4  Thank Megan B
SanaraTulum, Manager at Sanara Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2015

Dear Megan. Thank you so much for reaching back to us.

We have been aware of your disappointment based on the noise you experienced during what we would all have trusted would have been a super tranquil start to your honeymoon.

Thank you for choosing Sanara for its location on the Tulum beach as well as noting the comfort of the new beds and mattresses in the Jungle Rooms. As you know from your interaction with our Front Desk, the hotel was caught unaware of a second floor rebuild by the next door hotel. We are all happy that the work has been completed already. As a result a special refund was offered and when we checked with accounting today, it had already been processed. It can take a few days to reach you so please check back with reservations if you do not receive. Obviously a honeymoon is a very lovely one off experience, however if and when you choose to revisit Tulum please let us know. Tranquility in Paradise will be in place again, and we will be so happy to welcome you again.