“Teetotum - Home away from home!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Teetotum Hotel

Teetotum Hotel
Ranked #28 of 90 Hotels in Tulum
Austin, Texas
“Teetotum - Home away from home!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and I traveled to Tulum for our honeymoon a week and a half ago. We stayed at Teetotum for 3 days and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. With only 4 rooms, we felt like the only guests there. It was incredibly private and relaxed. The hotel is setup so that the rooms are hidden away at the back with a large courtyard/lounge area in front of them and then the restaurant and bar situated at the front of the hotel. Richard, the owner was a pleasure to talk with and get to know as well as his staff including Diego, Ana, and Isabella. We were greeted with enthusiasm and our service was excellent both in our room as well as at the bar and restaurant. We loved hanging out with the staff and Richard as well as the resident dog, Dollie and cats, Mamas and Papas. The decor was simple, modern, and very tasteful. Our room had a nice king sized bed with soft cotton sheets, an interesting rocking chair, a nice lounge bench, as well as a mini-fridge and shelves we could put our toiletries on. They furnished bottles of water every day for brushing our teeth with. It was also quite easy to purchase affordable bottles of water from the bar/restaurant as well. The music that they played over speakers in the bar/restaurant area MADE our visit. Richard sure knows how to pick amazing music. It was all of our favorites plus some. Lots of great ambient electronica, classic rock, reggae, and soulful folk music filled our ears when we were lounging in the hammocks and outdoor sofas in the courtyard. We spent one evening up on the rooftop deck because the moon was almost full and we took some great pictures of the moon up there. There are comfortable lounger beds and chairs upstairs and it's a nice area for an intimate, relaxing hang-out spot. The food at the Teetotum restaurant was EXCELLENT. We never tasted something we didn't like and great care was put into fixing our meals and setting the table and providing amazing condiments such as Habanero sauce, Chipotle sauce, and homemade jam with our provided continental breakfast. The coffee was quite yummy as well! Great prices on cervezas and other libations as well. This hotel was exactly what we were looking for when planning our honeymoon and we truly feel like we lucked out in choosing it. We didn't want to leave when our stay was up. We plan to return to Teetotum time and time again as we felt right at home. It made our honeymoon and vacation so great. We can't thank Richard and the entire staff at Teetotum more. Thank you for making everything wonderful for us. You truly feel as though you are a luxurious movie star when staying at Teetotum. We will recommend this spot to our friends and family when they decide to travel to Tulum, Quintana Roo, Mexico. Ole!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
scoutroberts, General Manager at Teetotum Hotel, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
hola amigos,
thank you so much for your kind remarks. we are always so pleased when we hear of our guests having enjoyed themselves to the extent that you both did. a honeymoon is a special time filled with excitement and wonderful thoughts of the possibility of your future together.
congrats again and thank you for choosing us.
we love you.
sincerely,
all of the staff of teetotum in safe and sunny tulum!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Manitoba
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

Teetotum is a nice hotel to stay in. The rooms are large and clean. The towels are really nice. The bed is firm (which I like). There are shelves to put stuff on, and a mini fridge in the room. They even give you a couple of bottles of water in the fridge.
The restaurant was very good, and I like the continental breakfast. The biggest bonus for us is that they allow dogs. The hotel also has a sweet resident dog, Dali, who played with our dogs and tired them out each day.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank truetamara
hola snowbirds,
thank you for your kind words regarding your vista to teetotum this summer. we truly enjoyed hosting your visit. as you know we are dog lovers, so the bonding was fast and strong. we hope to see you all again in safe and sunny tulum.
sincerely,
our entire staff
Maui, HI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

Teetotum makes the most sense when visiting Tulum. Unless, you want to stay at the beach. Teetotum is located between the town and beach. Although it's on the main road, noise isn't a problem. It's the perfect location. There's a great restaurant and lounge which draws regular and guests alike.

These are few of my favorite things about Teetotum:
*Richard: The best host ever! He is so helpful and knowledgeable about the town.
*The staff are excellent too... :)
*Modern, clean, spacious rooms with mini fridge...and a/c (a huge plus). All four rooms face the courtyard/pool/rooftop deck/restaurant. It's absolutely beautiful.
*24 hour electricity: This made a big difference to us and is one of the reasons to stay closer to town
*Plunge pool set around a beautiful courtyard & rooftop lounge
*Bikes included in stay: Perfect for riding to the Tulum ruins, to the beach, to town. Everything is a short ride away. We chose to walk into town since you can easily miss cute shops and restaurants (and stop signs) while riding around town.
*Continental breakfast included
*Chedraui Supermarket: Right across the street - one of two very large supermarkets which carry everything

We spent four days at Teetotum and wished we could have stayed longer. Our best day was riding our bikes to the ruins, stopping at the beach, returning to the hotel and lounging by the pool where we had a wonderful meal, then walking to town to explore and have dinner (at Max and Vero's Elemental)! Another day was spent at Coba ruins (do not miss)! You can also get massages or reflexology appointments as well - I had my treatment right in the room...then walked out and got fresh juice from Diego...This place is total bliss.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank KulaOnion
aloha and maluhia,
thank you so much for your expression of approval of our humble hotel. it makes us feel great when we feel that the guest appreciates what we try to offer on all cylinders
we hope to see you again, next time you visit safe and sunny tulum!,
always,
the staff at teetotum
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

I did my research on tripadvisor and got exactly what I hoped for at Teetotum. Stylish, symplistic room with a room safe, towels and bottled water, a nice fresh continental breakfast at any hour of the morning, free bikes and snorkel gear to take out to the beach, and chill friendly service. Enjoyed riding bikes out to the beach during the day, or the Tulum ruins and then into town at night. The little pool was a perfect end to the day, and with only four rooms, we felt like we had the place often to outselves. The iPod dock was finicky with my iPhone, but that was a minor issue, I checked out resort hotels along the beach that I had also considered. While lovely, I enjoyed the convenience of Teetotum being between beach and town-- the best of both worlds. Also had fun chatting with the owner (originally from NY) who gave us travel advice. My boyfriend and I were happy with our decision to stay at Teetotum and would recommend it to others.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank DBGold1
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

This is a wonderful relaxing little hotel. We had never been to tulum an really research for th perfect hotel. Our research was dead on!! The host, Richard is really a nice guy an truly cares about his place . The staffis very friendly an eager to help an serve you. The rooms are great an have everything you need. The AC worked great the towels were plush an bed was comfortable. We stay on the little balcony every evening an just relaxed. We stay in room #4. The only draw back was the sun would shine in your room every morning, but not a huge inconvenience for us at all. The breakfast was awesome, the dinners even better. The best of all was the free use of bikes that we used everyday!!! We loaded our backpacks an headed to the beach. Richard told us about the prefect place an indeed it was!! It was about a 2 1/2 mile bike ride. Very easy ride.
I would stay here again in a minute, an are eager to plan our next trip to tulum.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank btsmith47
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

Just got back from an 11-night stay at Teetotum, and my boyfriend and I were so bummed we couldn't stay longer! This was our second visit to Tulum and it was more amazing than the first -- mostly because of our experience at Teetotum. Originally, we had planned to just stay a week and then spend our last four days right on the beach. But we changed our minds after just a few days at Teetotum, and we're so glad we did.

Here's what made it so special for us:

THE PEOPLE - Richard, the owner, is super cool. We instantly bonded with him and great conversations about politics, music, books, life experiences and all that jazz. He's super laid back, hilariously self-deprecating and refreshingly honest. We were well taken care of and felt totally at home because of him. The folks who work there -- Ana, Sandro, Caesar, Antonio & Diego -- are also amazing!!! They are all so sweet, funny and open, with interesting life stories. We felt lucky to be among such an amazing group who we can now call friends.

THE ROOMS - There are only 4 rooms at Teetotum, so it's intimate and private but not at all dead, since lots of locals, expats and tourists visit the restaurant and lounge every day. We loved the decor, which may seem sparse but are actually loaded with the kinds of amenities and details that other hotels often miss, such as reading lights and night stands on both sides of the bed; STRONG AC; tons of electrical outlets; full-sized bath towels; beach towels that are replenished every day; purified water for brushing your teeth; a frigo with drinking water and sodas; cushy pillows (and lots of them); a power strip; soft, thick and plentiful toilet paper; a rainfall shower head; blackout curtains; and quality wood hangers.

THE RESTAURANT & LOUNGE: You can see from the TripAdvisor pictures that this place is beautiful, but it's totally different to see it in person. The aesthetic is a gorgeous mix of contemporary Western design and local flavour. There is comfortable seating everywhere -- in the front of the hotel, in the restaurant, in the Zen garden like area and on the rooftop. We LOVED all the beautiful wooden accents and lighting. The music was awesome and eclectic. One of the best things is that there are such a diverse group of people who visit Teetotum on a daily basis -- locals, expats, tourists -- which really adds to your experience if you like meeting new people (we do). The food is also excellent and healthy! Your room comes with a lovely continental breakfast, which is a yummy plate of tropical fruit, artisan bread, freshly squeezed orange juice and coffee. If you need a heartier breakfast, the French toast is AMAZING. Don't miss the specials -- our favourites were Caesar's chicken and bacon wrap and Sandro's agua chile. Their burger was also one of the best my boyfriend has ever had.

THE LOCATION - Teetotum is not quite in the pueblo, but it's an easy 10-minute walk into town. There's a HUGE store, Chedraui, just a few minutes walk away, where you can get anything from toiletries and food to clothing and electronics. Chedraui also has several ATMs, but there is also a bank nearby. Teetotum's rate includes the free use of bikes and snorkels, so you can bike to the beach or into town. My boyfriend's finger was broken so we opted to cab to the beach instead (5-minute ride and 5 pesos each way) and walk into town instead. At Teetotum, you really get the best of both worlds being in the middle of the pueblo and playa.

In sum, this is one of our favourite hotels worldwide. It had been about 5 years since we last visited Tulum, and we're now hoping to make it -- and Teetotum -- one of our destinations every year!!

xo to Richard, Ana, Sandro, Caesar, Antonio & Diego!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 4 -- it is upstairs, closest to the bodega. We loved it.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lomigirl
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is my experience with Teetotum Hotel. I was nearing the end of my travels and a busy, busy, busy dive vacation. All my travel companions had either gone home or to other places and I was alone on the Ado bus south to find lodging near the ruins of Tulum I wished to see. I first was at a neighboring hotel (which had a green pool and was rather shabby overall) and wanted a meal and they directed me up the street to Teetotum. Dinner was awesome, the host/owner Richard so congenial and welcoming and the vibe is laid back, funky and just wonderful. I loved it so much I made arrangements to transfer hotels the next morning.

It rained and was overcast all day so I lazed around the property all day, read my book, took a dip in the fabulous little pool, napped on the roof deck between chapters, sipped beers and became completely and totally 'unplugged' from my previous fast pace! Teetotum is what you need it to be... acalm spot in the storm, the center of your explorations and a comforting place to call your home away from home and a great place to get some great food, ice cold beers and cocktails! Being a dog lover and owner I was thrilled to be welcomed by Dali the spotted wonder too! The huevos rancheros are a work of art and delicious! And one of the bartenders makes a mojito to die for! Everything is fresh and tasty. Just ask the cook what you should have and he will tell you while laughing!

The decor is hip and vibrant in oranges, browns and blues. The lounge/restaurant area has tables, benches and comfy sseating to hang in and a bar with some stools. The wifi is much stonger than I ever got in a big resort in cozumel and is nice and strong in the rooms too. The rooms are HUGE and your comfort has been tastefully provided for. Everything shows class and comfort yet without pretense. It just is. This place is well thought out and executed perfectly!

The list of amenities is actually true! Yes, true! The safe works (the one down the street had been drilled out aand left like that), not that I used it. The king size bed was exactly that... huge. The linens fresh and clean and smelled great. I pod dock is provdided along with a power strip in the room so your electronics have some protection when you recharge them. The bathroom you have to experience! A huge roman type shower with rainforest type shower head and big fluffy fresh white towels. Bottled water is provided for teeth brushing. A mini fridge thoughtfully stocked with more water and sodas. Lounge area with a bench seat or chair to sit in. Cooling concrete floors. On demand air conditiioning with just enough sound to provide white noise from the traffic outside.

The previoussly mentioned pool is located in the garden along with more seating and lounging area including a hammock. The gravel courtyard is raked several times a day like a big zen garden. Even the banos off the restaurant/bar area are very tastefully appointed and stocked with fresh soaps and paper towels.

All in all I can only say that I haven't can't wait to return and I haven't even left yet. I wrote this while lazying away in the lounge having an ice cold pacifico and dreading my departure tomorroww,,,, but I know I will return to this place... an oasis of comfort... a little piece of paradise... in Tulum, Mexico! I can't wait!

Room Tip: Every room is great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo