Tripadvisor
Tulum
Post
Inbox
Search
All reviews beach bar large container spotty at times ocean front peaceful beach restaurants and bars hot water chilaquiles garden view bed was comfortable palapa roof entire beach small property the room was nice convenience store amazing hotel amazing beach
Selected filters
Reviewed January 5, 2020

Hotel cancelled our visit when we were checking in - left with no accommodation in the jungle - an embarrassment of a hotel - did no offer any help apart from a taxi fare to another hotel - had to try and find somewhere to stay ON THE SPOT - everywhere overpriced.

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mishaka1
Reviewed January 4, 2020

Sequence of Events for the horror show I experienced from this hotel.

10/12/19 - I sent an email enquiry for a beach front room for the 3 nights between the dates 31/12/19 - 3/1/20

10/12/19 - email received from hotel confirming availability and requesting 50% deposit up front.

10/12/19 - deposit of $746 paid using link sent by hotel.

11/12/19 - I send an email requesting confirmation of receipt of payment. No response.

17/12/19 - I send another email requesting confirmation of booking / receipt of funds.

17/12/19 - Email received from hotel confirming reservation.

30/12/19 - email received from hotel requesting 50% deposit.

30/12/19 - I send an email confirming that this had been paid 10/12/19.

Upon arrival to the hotel on 31/12/19 I learn that my room has not been reserved and in fact due to a mix up there was no reservation for me and the hotel was now fully booked and unable to accommodate me whatsoever. The lady in reception (with a smile on her face) repeatedly tried to argue my money hasn’t been received in time despite me providing proof by way of bank statements / email correspondence with her colleague.

I then had to spend the next 2 hours trying to find a hotel that would take us to no avail with the exception of one hotel who were charging double for the same period. My compensation was the taxi fare to the other hotel!

Verdict - Not reliable not professional. Stay away to avoid physical / economical trauma.

Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Laithsa123
Reviewed December 31, 2019

I think I barely gave anyone a hard review in my entire life. I'll sum my visit here (there are some pros too)

CONS

- Although online it said that the room is ready, it wasn't. (a couple and a 4 year old)
- When I went to see the room, I found 2 guys still painting the walls and installing the door.
- The entire hotel is a construction site. They were actually building rooms over our head. They didn't think they should tell us that or cancel the order.
- Constructions works start at 7:00 and end by 19:00. mainly hammering and drilling.
- No reception, no service, most of them time there was simply no one in the "hotel".
- The way to the beach was through a construction site, with nails, bricks and construction tools all around
- every night they locked the entrance without leaving anyone at the hotel. We got back with a little girl and had to enter through the next door hotel (which was sometimes also locked)
- No one was ever there to help us with the luggage - and we moved rooms due to the construction.
- Whenever I needed something - I literally had to enter the construction site and look for someone. You feel like you work for them.
- Imagine this - I return back to my room at night (through another hotel because our is locked). no water at all and I need to shower my daughter. I enter the construction site, find someone, complains, then he calls another guy that explains him how to turn on the water. 10 minutes later - only cold water. I have to look for that guy again, than wait for the hot water. great! 10 min later - no water at all, again. I enter the construction site for the 3rd time. they make a call and manage to bring the water back. I return to realize we have no towels - surprise. I look for the guy again, he makes a call and eventually comes back with towels. An hour later the toilet stops working - no water again. I search for that guy again and no one's there. I end the night pouring water into the toilet with my daughter's toy bucket.
- Their site shows a photo of a large hotel on the beach, but only 1/3 of the photo is the hotel. most of the photo is of other 2 hotels.
- Although they say the have internet - not only I couldn't get wifi: the 3G and even cellular signal never worked.
- This isn't really a hotel or a boutique hotel. It offers almost nothing but a room (if the room is ready)
- There's an office instead of reception - I only saw it open once. most of the time you are by yourself.
- There was a safe in the room that didn't work

Pros

- The staff is very friendly and doing its best to help you (when they are around)
- The beach is amazing, location is perfect
- They gave us a 60% discount due to the construction work. First we didn't want it and looked for another hotel, but it was 2 days before xmas and they weren't better options.

Room tip: only beach front rooms
1  Thank RanAviv
Reviewed December 8, 2019

Like the other reviewers, this hotel canceled my reservation with no reason. Then, when I try to call them the phone is disconnected. They do not respond to emails. When you try-to rebook, the price has more than tripled. I reserved it through Booking.com and they have tried to help me but the hotel will not do anything to honor the reservation.

Reviewed December 3, 2019

I have traveled the world for 20+ years and this hotel is BY FAR the worst experience I have ever had!

- The hotel was booked on a major booking site.
- A phone call to the hotel to confirm our reservation a few months in advance was confirmed.
- Upon arrival at 7:30PM the hotel was dark and closed up. I walked into a construction zone only to learn from the security guard that we did not have a reservation.
- After much back and forth we found our names written on a napkin and were informed that we needed to go to a different hotel as our room was under construction!
- No notice. No call. No email. Mass confusion and frustration.
- The hotel rooms we were moved to were not on par with the ocean front we had booked and we were stuck near the road away from beach.
- HERE IS THE BEST PART... the new hotel charged our card and Playa Canek charged our card as well. When we confronted the reception desk at Playa Canek they tried to justify their fraud to us. But we never stayed at your hotel I said, why are you charging us? They tried to blame the other hotel for saying they needed more money. When I attempted to get both owners together (As they were blaming each other), neither would do it. TOTAL SCAM! Stay away and enjoy your time in Tulum elsewhere.

Pay attention to the reviews similar to mine as something is happening at this hotel that is not legitimate. Photos of our confrontation with Reception and the Playa Canek owner to get the bogus charges refunded.

Room tip: Choose another hotel
Date of stay: November 2019