“the amazing uno”
Review of Uno Astro Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Uno Astro Lodge
Ranked #72 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed January 31, 2012

we stayed at uno over the new year and had the time of our lives. the community welcomed us immediately, the outdoor showers were wonderful, and the yummy veggie meals perfectly complimented the paradise of our surroundings. uno is magical. utterly peaceful, amazingly friendly people, wonderful beach, and even wi-fi ready. i loved it.

Room Tip: The room at the top of the tower has an incredible view, especially at sunset!
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Uno Astro Lodge

Reviewed January 31, 2012

Uno Astrolodge is one of those hidden secrets that you can search your whole life for. If it were up to me, I'd keep it hidden :)

Everything about Uno is intentional - around every corner there's something special imagined. Each palapa has its own unique charm - I could never choose my favorite. And it's totally ecologically conscious - a rarity. The place is imbued with a spiritual energy gathered from cultures around the world. Where else can you wake up to a harp meditation? Or attend a class in Mayan astrology?

Uno may not be for everyone - if you need a full service resort with full internet access 24/7 and electricity all day and night, I'd go elsewhere. If you want to party Pina Colada in hand, this is not your place.

But if you're looking for something real and true and beautiful and transcendent, Uno is your home.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank vanessawithoutborder
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I didn't actually stay here, I stayed at My Tulum which is just down the beach from Uno. But I ended up at Uno everyday for something... either sunrise meditation, or Kirtans, or just hanging out-- it is just the most amazing place! The grounds, the people, the classes... FANTASTIC. There's always something fun going on here. People having a full moon celebration, hippies singing happy songs, Argentinian girls performing aerial dance in the palapa, ridiculously fit men walking on tight ropes, someone offering you freshly baked vegan cookies. Seriously, I would laugh at this stuff in New York, but somehow at Uno they pull it off. It's all so genuine. Really not to be missed. Stay here, or participate in the vast array of classes, or eat yummy vegetarian food at the restaurant... just make sure you experience SOMETHING here while you're in Tulum. It's really special.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 1, 2012

I absolutely loved my stay at Uno. The weather was amazing, the cabana we stayed in (sitar) was beautiful and perfect for the two of us. The lack of electricity (which we knew about in advance, so weren't surprised by like other reviewers) meant that we went to sleep not long after sunset and woke up at sunrise every day, which I loved, although it meant that we were starving by the time they started serving breakfast at 8am. The composting toilet didn't smell at all until the end of the week, and the shower, while it usually didn't have any hot water, was very refreshing. I loved the clothing-optional beach, and got used to the naked men doing yoga after a day or two. The drumming got a little tiresome, and sometimes went later into the night than I would have liked, but that's the only complaint I can think of. Overall it was amazing, and perfect for the romantic lazy vacation I wanted.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank kerkyrax
Reviewed October 13, 2011

After staying at UNO, I still close my eyes and imagine myself there whenever I'm feeling stressed, sad or just need a quick escape. It really is my "Happy Place". My sister and I went there almost a year ago and had a wonderful time. We stayed for a week and found that our days were filled with relaxation, but we had so much fun as well.
Our taxi dropped us off at the gate and as soon as we walked past it and saw our view, we gasped. It was so beautiful. We immediately changed and jumped in the ocean. I loved our cabana, it was cozy and private and it almost had a "sleep on the beach feel". The bed was very comfortable and the outdoor, but totally private, bathroom was wonderful! There's nothing like showering in the sun! The eco toilets were just fine, clean and not smelly at all.
On the beach, comparing this small resort to the others made me feel like I was somewhere very special. It was more real, you felt like you were in paradise - and not in a resort. The cabana had no electricity and it gave you a luxurious camping feel. We didn't miss the electricity at all, the candlelight at night was lovely and we brought little book lights for our evening novel reading. Even though we're both night owls, we found ourselves waking up at dawn, eager to go for a swim before breakfast and enjoy our day.
Breakfast was really, really wonderful and delicious. The view was we ate was breathtaking. UNO Astrologe is incredibly laid-back. I believe the owner really wants people to make themselves at home. When I arrived late for my massage, I tried to apologize but was told, "there is no late in Tulum".
I do regret that I didn't take part more in some of the yoga, dance, singing and meditation programs they offered. Next time for sure.
We rode bikes to the ruins, swam in the ocean, laid on the beach, explored crystal clear cenotes, read in hammocks, enjoyed the many restaurants along the beach, went salsa dancing at a nearby resort, crashed a wedding and got way too drunk at it, and the next day at breakfast we were so hungover and were told by the staff, "that's okay, we'll take care of you" and was presented with a big glass of water and a coffee.
I really could go on and on but I'll just say that even if I became super rich and could vacation anywhere, I will always make a regular visit to UNO in Tulum.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank breath0ffreshair
Reviewed March 27, 2011

If you are searching for your center stay here. If you love music you'll never want to leave. If you are adventurous, have a good attitude, into the environment, need yoga time, love Mayan histories, and have an interest in Astronomy this is the spot you have been searching for. My husband and I have stayed at Uno at least 8 times during the past 6 years. Our favorite room is the Maia-simplicity realized. Breakfast is typically included with your room-Coffee/tea, warm milk, homemade gluten free bread, homemade jam, olive oil, and fresh fruit. Amazing ocean views from all the rooms. The bathrooms are zen rustic and the toilets are eco (you'll get used to it). Bring a soccer ball for the two white labs who will play with you all day if you want. So if your into the big hotel scene and expect a hotel like setting this is not going to be your style . Let's put it this way-If Tulum had big waves this is where the surfers would hang out. Very Cool, Very Chill, Very Zen and Very REAL. No electricity in the rooms=candle light at night=romance= winning.
This is the place to disconnect with the World and reconnect with Yourself.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jphaymes
Reviewed March 7, 2011

Uno has a beautiful location and there is a real effort to have as little impact on the environment as possible which I love. The eco toilets are fine: no smell or mess. The semi-outdoor shower in the hut I stayed in was sublime and, as others have said, the breakfast is fabulous.

I'm a pretty low maintenance gal but I felt a little isolated at Uno. There are six huts and about 20 tents. It's hard to tell who works at Uno and who are long-time campers. I couldn't figure out if there was an intentional community that the hut revenues underwrite but I felt like a bit of an interloper. People were pleasant but I didn't find them very welcoming. Very specific examples of this include: 1) yoga is at 9:30 but breakfast is from 8-9:30 - who does yoga on a full stomach? Made me think it wasn't scheduled with guests in mind. 2) I had to ask if someone would show me around so I'd know where things were; 3) I was informed upon arrival that I needed to pay my balance in cash though I'd put 50% down with a credit card and had never been told I needed to pay in cash (ended up shortening my stay as a result); and 4) I returned late one afternoon to a big group hanging out smoking pot - made me feel a little too old for the scene; and 5) the information on the website doesn't match reality (I was charged more per night than listed on web site; web site says guests can use the kitchen and the refrigerator for storage but I was told "no" when I asked).

I'm not sure if it's more oriented to Europeans but I definitely felt like the ignorant American (took French rather than Spanish in school which did me little good there) as the other guests seemed to communicate in Spanish, German and occasionally a little bit of French. I can live with that but one guest seemed downright hostile (yelled at me) when she took it upon herself to translate something one of the Mexican staff people was asking me.

All of my communications prior to arrival were via email, very warm and well managed (barring no mention of the no credit card policy). Once I got there there was a fair bit of confusion and miscommunication. I never met the owner but people expected I would have talked to him about leaving early though I had given the reception staff ample notice. It seemed pretty loosely run in some ways (money went missing from my hut) but then not in others (e.g. credit cards).

All in all, a beautiful place with lots going for it but the vibe didn't entirely work for me and it was hard to figure out who was running the place. Trip Advisor made me choose "yes" or "no" re recommendation but my honest feeling is more of a "maybe." Depends on what kind of a traveler you are, what you're looking for...

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled solo