“perfect finish to a fantastic honeymoon”
Review of La Selva Mariposa

La Selva Mariposa
Ranked #2 of 93 Tulum B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 16, 2007

We came to La Selva Mariposa for the last couple of day of our honeymoon after spending a week at a very luxurious all inclusive resort. Our stay was the perfect cap to the honeymoon. It was wonderful to come home for a swim in our pool with a waterfall. The owners were great, always quick with travel advise and a welcome margarita. On our first night they cooked us a special dinner which we had in a dining terrace overlooking the forrest. La Selva Mariposa was both a great base to explore those wonders of the Yucatan that exist away from the beach as well as a relaxing place to enjoy as an oasis in the jungle. Thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank travlln_man

Reviewed August 11, 2007

This was my first experience in the Yucatan jungle, however, I have had several visits to the beach on past vacations. My experience at La Selva Mariposa was truly amazing. Getting from the airport to this wonderful jungle oasis was really easy. Once I arrived I was in awe over the beautiful waterfalls and gardens. My room was extraordinarily clean (and was cleaned everyday) and freshly stalked with a great coffee bar, mini-fridge with cold beer and juice, and a water cooler. I felt like I was at home! The gourmet breakfast were out of this world. The owners were very friendly and knowledgeable about the surrounding areas to visit.

The well groomed road to the beach was just a quick jaunt from La Selva Mariposa, about 15 minutes. The Coba centotes are a must see, they are less than a half hour from the bed and breakfast. However, I loved spending my time on the actual property of La Selva Mariposa as the pool with a waterfall
was so refreshing, the garden paths were relaxing to walk on, and the jungle noises of birds chirping and crickets singing was an experience in it self. I can not wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled solo
2  Thank travelcolorado1
Reviewed June 24, 2007

If you're looking to get off the beaten path but still stay in style and absolute comfort, you've found the place. I traveled to La Selva Mariposa by myself and it could not have been more perfect for me (although it would have probably been fun with someone to share it with as well). I was a bit nervous about renting a car in Mexico by myself, but had no problems and I definitely recommend it to enjoy all the fabulous attractions. Your hosts are incredibly gracious. Moe even offered to accompany me on any excursions. I took her up on a day to the Coba ruins and cenotes (not to be missed). I was at the property in early May and had it to myself until my last night when another couple arrived, but even with the company it was still as private as you wanted it to be. The property is about 15 minutes from the beaches and there was no problem finding a great beach club at which to relax. I also enjoyed some great snorkeling at a place recommended by the owners.

2  Thank tlginco
Reviewed June 21, 2007

We just returned from a 6 night stay and can't say enough good things about Mariposa. It's a B&B but should more properly be called a botique hotel. We had a large casita with private bath and adjacent pool. The room was exceptionally clean and well kept with maid service daily. A gourmet breakfast was provided every morning and the propreitors were more than happy to provide us with easy driving directions to ruins, beach clubs, restaurants, cenotes or wherever we were inclined to venture. I consider this venue a great value, $125 included all taxes and full breakfast. We had a unique experience at this wonderful location and recommend it without hesitation to anyone seeking the same.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2007

My sister and I stayed at this lovely bed and breakfast for one night and were so impressed with the setting, the rooms and the wonderful hosts. Their hospitality went beyond anything we would ever expect. In fact, Lou took us to his pineapple plants on the property and had us cut a pineapple off a plant for our breakfast of fresh fruit and pineapple pancakes. Their knowledge of the area was most helpful in planning our adventures for that day. It's not far from the beach and there are great cenotes and ruins to visit nearby. However, we would have been happy just staying there because It is such a beautiful, peaceful place graced with water features and exquisite landscaping. We highly recommend this charming place and will be back again soon.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 26, 2007

Thanks to Moe and Lou for a true "taste of the jungle" these folks become your good neighbors and host as you enjoy the Tulum region. They offer gourmet food, guidance and a general warm feeling as you stay in the carefully crafted casitas that are provided for you and your family. I would clearly stay there again and again and again and again.............................Jacki Kincaid

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed March 25, 2007

This property is located about 15 minutes from Tulum and about 45 minutes from Coba. We spent the first two nights of our vacation here and really loved it. We stayed in Suite 3 and really enjoyed the open air shower, at night you could look up and see the stars. The bed was very comfortable and the sheets were very soft. The towels were also large and soft. Breakfast every morning was served in a cute palapa set with cloth napkins and a woven tablecloth. The breakfast was substantial with fresh sliced fruit (mango, papaya, pineapple, banana etc.), bread, and bacon every morning. We also had mini omelets, scrambled eggs, potato hash, etc. Being along the route to Coba there were many artisan stores close to the B&B and we stopped at the honey store at the edge of town. Suites 2 and 3 are right next to each other and would be great to rent out if you were traveling with another couple. There was a hammock and a couple of chairs on both sides. Another couple was staying in Suite 2 when we got there but the two waterfalls drowned out any noise at night, so we still felt like there was privacy and we weren't woken up when they got in later than we did. The room was very clean and there is also a small pool with a fountain, we cooled off after spending a day in Coba and it was great. The grounds are beautiful with paths to walk along and listen to the birds and places to stop and sit to watch them.

A couple of things to keep in mind: This property is close to Tulum but not in Tulum. I wouldn't recommend it to people traveling without a car. The dining options in town are limited to true Mexican restaurants, I don't know if any English is spoken. We had a decent chicken mole at one of the restaurants but I speak Spanish so there wasn't a language problem. Also remember that Mexicans don't eat supper until late, 9 or 10 pm. It is about a 15 minute drive to eat in Tulum or about a 20-25 minute drive to one of the beach restaurants (these options in Tulum are open earlier.) There are many great places to eat in Tulum or Lou, one of the owners, will prepare you dinner to eat at your choice of the lovely areas on their property. Lou is also very knowledgeable about the area and we took his advice several times and were not disappointed.

This place has only been open since July 2006 and so I don't think the word has gotten out yet. While we also enjoyed staying in the pueblo of Tulum, La Selva Mariposa was a romantic and beautiful getaway outside of the bustle of town.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled as a couple