“Oasis in a Storm”
Review of Amelie Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Amelie Tulum
Ranked #95 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed August 19, 2010

Though the weather was unusually wet, the here staff did a great job.
We spoke mostly with Carlos, since he speaks some English and our Spanish is not too good. Carlos was always very cheerful and happy to accommodate our requests and questions. Another staffer volunteered to make food and provide cervezas for us. The maid did a thorough job of cleaning and our room was always spotless after she left. The room was just what we needed and the grounds and pool are in nice shape and very pretty. I liked having coffee available in the morning and cold bottled water when needed.
The sad part of our stay is we arrived at the same time “Alex” (now a hurricane) did. As you know, people come visit Tulum for the beautiful beaches. As a result of the poor weather, we spent a lot of our time in our room. Under the circumstances, the ceiling leaked and there was rain blowing through the door to the patio. By morning, the floors were quite wet.
We look forward to returning next June!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DAVE9823

Reviewed May 28, 2010

I stayed in Parayso on my honey moon during the beginning of may. We planed to stay in Tulum just for one night and end up staying there for 4 and left just to catch our flight home.

Since we came there during the low season and the staff was doing some maintenance there, we got a fair price. Beside us, there were few other visitor but hardly felt any of them - the place was quiet and romantic. Nether the restaurant nor the beach bar were working when we been there (low season) but we didn't realy mind. The breakfast was served to us in the pool and the rest of the day we just ate in hotels near by.

The staff and The Owners (Monica and Graham) were very friendly and did everything to make our stay as nice as possible. Graham (who is a film maker) even showed us the movie he was working on. The cleaning lady made a towel animals on our bad, every day a new one - which was very nice. There were some small problems with hot water and AC but they were quickly taken care off. In general there were hot water and electricity running all day. The Spa we couldn't find.

I'm already planning my next visit in Tulum and Parayso Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Roman0211
ParaYsoTulum, Owner at Amelie Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2010

Dear Roman,
Thank you very much for choosing ParaYso. It was very nice meeting you guys and we did very much enjoy the great Israel Style dinner by the pool. We are very happy to hear you had a great time during your stay with us. Greetings to your wife. Come back anytime!
Monica

Reviewed May 10, 2010

The only saving grace for this hotel is the location. The hotel was a bit of an overpriced joke... The seaview rooms were so basic with near strip lighting motel effect, air con that wasn't working, and the smallest shower room with one solitary glass in it. There were no staff visible the whole time we were there, save for a local handy man who kept saying the staff would return 'tomorrow at 11'. It was impossible to check in and check out but funnily enough they are good at credit card payments.
A lovely situation so I would recommend you stay elsewhere on this beautiful beach.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank PepysTraveller

Pepys traveller,
ParaYso has competitive rates compared to other hotels in the area.Tulum is a beautiful remote eco-vacation-destination and we all locals are doing our best to preserve it . All our rooms as mentioned in our website are simple with everything you need, like a king size bed, electrical outlets, private balcony, private standard tiled full bathroom 2.00 mts long x 1.50 mts wide, the shower area is .80 cms x 1.50 mts with shower head, hot water, sliding door dividing the shower and toilet areas, sink and amenities. Thinking green and sustainability we have a wind turbine that provides 110 V power during day time and by night we have a 60 k generator to provide air conditioning service at an extra fee, this service is optional and available to all our guests that request and pay the fee. We have energy efficiency light bulbs not 100 watts. Sorry we did not meet your needs, we will keep improving to make our guests stay pleasant.

Thanks,
Monica

Reviewed February 1, 2010

I stayed at Parayso last week and have to say that it was a very nice experience. It was nice to be in Tulum but to have a room that was sealed because my girlfriend and I are very prone to getting attacked by mosquitos. The rooms had air conditionining and were very comfortable. The one night, the AC didn't work, but after going and telling one of the employees they got it up and running in about 10 minutes. (no big deal). The beach is beautiful, there's also a pool if you'd like. It was very relaxing. The service was great. We got massages from Julian and I would definitely recommend doing that. He was extremely thorough and for $50 american per hour, quite a deal. All around, we had a great time.

The hotel was a little expensive, but when you factor in the great service and no bugs it's worth it.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mjrut2001
Reviewed January 22, 2010

Nice, clean rooms and beds, no air conditioning that worked, no english speaking staff, not that we needed them.
All rooms had a great ocean view. This hotel is set back a little from the waters edge.
Room had bottled water and toilet paper supplied suffeciently daily.
Our balcony was huge! awesome view.
We didn't mind the air not working we kept the balcony door open anyway.
This hotel is a 3 story and made of stone, a little more modern that I like for that area. There was pool, which hardly any tulum hotels have, but we didn't use it.
Beach massage was available. Enough chairs and umbrellas. Drink service on the beach and a smal breakfast was offered.
Good enough for the time we went. Last minute on New Year's Day.
Great Beach!!! which is THE most important thing for me. No rock, seaweed, and a wide white beach!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Michelle T
Reviewed January 7, 2010

I travel all over the Yucatan. This little hotle is a gem. Not sure of the spa i must have missed that. Super affordable compared to others near by. Very freindly owner and staff. secure fenced in little compound, nice pool. I felt okay letting my kids play. My wife and 2 boys planned to stay here for just one night on our way to Xcalack. My wife got serious food poisoning in Tulum that night and the next day we decided to stay until she was better. We stayed 3 days. The water isn't very swimable bu tthe waves are wonderful, the beach is great, the sea breeze wonderful, and the hotel was nice. Despite my wife's problem we enjoyed our stay. It is far from most things but a quick trip into Tulum Pueblo was no big deal. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed December 22, 2009

My partner & I took a trip to Tulum after reading about it in a Conde Naste magazine. Actually it was the photo that sold me. Also, when I saw that it was accessible from Cancun airport just 2 hours drive by car. We decided not to bother with the hassle of a rental car, given we were there for only a short time. We took a shuttle which cost $130 round-trip for both of us, in a clean, modern, comfortable van.
After MUCH consulting of reviews on tripadvisor I opted to stay at the ParaYso hotel, mostly because it is one of few hotels along the Tulum beach hotel zone that has air-conditioning(electricity is available at night only). I also liked that it had a beautiful, large, tiled, saltwater pool. The rooms are spacious & each has their own balcony overlooking the beach, perfect to view the spectacular sunrises from.
We had daily maid service, hot water, a refrigerator & a clean, comfortable room.
The beach of Tulum & in front of ParaYso is world-class: powder fine, white sands with turquoise waters, gentle waves (when we were there) & always warm. We swam for hours. It was magical.
Occasionally sea-weed washes up on the beach but staff from the hotels sweep it up in the mornings & bury it under the sand.
There are beach loungers & umbrellas on the sand, available for guests.
Our hosts at ParaYso, Graham & Monica, were just lovely as were all of their staff. They were so warm & friendly, always willing to make suggestions to us & answer any questions we had about sightseeing, getting around, etc.
After reading all the reviews on here, positive & negative, I wasn't sure what to expect of Tulum. I ultimately think you 'get what you give'. We found all people we encountered to be really sweet, hospitable & helpful.
Things I will reiterate that were extremely handy to have (having gleaned from reviews on tripadvisor) were: a flashlight, plastic knives, forks & plates & our own beach towels. There are no utensils in the rooms due to health regulations, I think. These can be purchased in the nearby town of Tulum, at a grocery store or at the larger supermarket. I bought my own.
There is no restaurant at ParaYso but they do serve fresh coffee very early in the morning.
Food can also be bought for breakfast & snacks in the town of Tulum.
Fantastic restaurants are just steps away along the beach, at the other hotels nearby. I would totally recommend La Zebra. We had two spectacular meals there.
The pueblo of Tumum is about a 5-10 minute drive. Cabs cost about $5-10 each way. There are 'collectivo' white vans that are cheaper & even a bus that runs three times a day for $2 each way. Our host Monica flagged it down for us one day. It was fun to sit up high & have a great view!
The restaurants are cheaper in the town. You can buy souvener's there too, use internet cafes, make phone calls. exchange money, go to the post office, etc, etc. Pick up a handy, pocket-sized tourist map from a business on the main drag, for much useful info.
As Tulum is an eco-resort area (& a turtle nesting area), lighting must be kept to a minimum at night, so it is very dark when walking along the beach or road hence a good idea to have a flashlight & extra batteries!
All electricity at Playa Tulum is solar, wind or generator powered so none of the hotels have 24 hour electricity in the rooms, if any at all.
The spectacular Tulum Mayan ruins are very nearby, another reason that we chose to visit Tulum. If you have a car & more time, other archaeological sites can be visited as well as many tourist attractions.
It was very quiet at our hotel when we were in Tulum, which we preferred. I believe it may be a lot busier at other times of the year.
On out last night one of the staff excitedly pointed out a "lazy" late-hatching turtle making it's way to the sea & freedom. This was a very sweet gesture.
We absolutely would return to Tulum & plan to stay at ParaYso again. It more than suited our needs. It's not 5-star but I'm sure it has more amenities than some of the cabana accommodations, the only 'rooms' available at some of the other hotels.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple