“Needs a little work to make it worthwhile ” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Amelie Tulum

Amelie Tulum
Ranked #88 of 91 Hotels in Tulum
Limerick, Ireland
“Needs a little work to make it worthwhile ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

We are seasoned travelers. We have stayed in many a creaky shack, crumbly hotel and camped on many roadsides during our 15 years of travels. We aren't divas by any standards. We knew what to expect in terms of Mexican accommodation because we did our homework, have travelled the area before, and had no massive expectations.

We stayed in the 'typical Mayan style cottage' which did not have many photos on the site that gave us many clues as to what to expect.
Jose runs the bar and taco stand out near the beach front - which is a totally separate business to the hotel - but if that wasn't there, hmmm not so sure about this hotel.

Let's face it, we did pay good hard earned money to stay here and I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out what I actually paid for. Ok, so the rooms have plain stone floors and walls, beach hut style roofs, chunky pillows and paper thin very old towels, but the bathrooms were just a bridge too far Amigo. Perhaps they were trying too hard to emulate 'Mayan' style and just decided to skip the basic toilet amenities that can actually make or break a hotel. Let's face it, the Mayans didn't have toilet bowls, sinks or electricity when they lived in grass huts either so why don't they just spend a little extra and tile the bathrooms, install proper bathroom suites and make it right??!!! They were just gross. Rough concrete hand shaped shower areas painted blue with a very old plastic shower curtain as a door. Frankly I preferred the ocean than to step foot in the 'shower'. Ugh.
Ok if I paid a lot less then I did then perhaps I wouldn't be so hard but I feel compelled to write in hopes that the owner reads this and does something. We did pay good hard earned money and to force this onto to people, who travel long distances to stay here and don't know the full story, is simply negligent. Perhaps if we chose a room in the actual hotel it might've been better but I heard similar stories about the bathrooms there too - albeit not as bad.

Also the pool area turned into a car park on the weekend for people to park and camp on the beach. C'mon! Camping isn't the problem but parking big massive ford rangers right around the pool - your biggest asset to the hotel - is simply stupido.

Sorry for upsetting anyone. If the owner wants to make it right - fix the bathrooms, stop the poolside truck parking and you have a winner.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Angela_Horsfall

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

Lovely place to stay. Spent a few nights with friends here in Tulum. Hotel rooms are very basic, but the beach and water are fantastic. The gentlemen running the bar couldn't be happier to be there or take care of you, and even had great wifi. Budget friendly and a great time. Thanks to Jose at the bar! Piña coladas made as fresh as they can get.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Hyannis, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

My husband and I booked the Parayso for a few days in March and literally ONE MINUTE after I hit the "book" button, my husbands job made us have to cancel. So I emailed the hotel and called one minute after booking to cancel. The gentleman on the phone said it wasn't a big deal and when the reservation came through he would take care of it as we did our booking online. Great! However, that was not the case. About three weeks AFTER the booking would have already happened I was charged for the FULL STAY on my credit card and received an email from someone there saying I could just stay there some other time this year. HUH? NO!? That's not how you do business in this industry. My husband and I had a boutique hotel in the countryside of England and we know how reservations work and the hotel business. So now, almost a month later, after I'm told I can just use my whole stay another time, I get a third e-mail saying they will refund/release the hold on the card and only charge me for one night of the stay and that's their cancellation policy. I would 100% have been ok with that, if that had been posted anywhere on the confirmation email or anywhere on the booking! It wasn't (or even mentioned in the other two emails). At least it was a cheap night, but very annoying and bad for business. Because they wanted my 150$ USD plus tax, they lost any future business from myself and/or friends. But now after reading other reviews I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this is how it turned out with them. Sad.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank Mamenard

Travelers are raving about these Tulum hotels

Durango, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2014

If you are high maintenance, want room service, air conditioning, etc... this is not the place for you. If you are self sufficient, and looking for a great inexpensive place to stay directly on the beach, this is awesome.

I don't know why the name spa is on there now... It wasn't when I was there, and shouldn't be, unless something changed in the last month.

I met the owner. The point of this place is to have an inexpensive place for people to enjoy an amazing spot on the beach. That's what it is, nothing more, and at that it excels. There are plenty of places you can go and pay 3 to 4 times as much for a really nice hotel room. But why? How much time are you going to spend in it?

I walked out the door of my room directly into the sand of the beach. It was awesome. The sunrises there are amazing. There is a coffee window there called the Mayatulum coffee shop that has great coffee, and great and conversation. Will (who owns and runs the coffee shop) is great and very helpful.

The bar was closed while I was there. That was fine by me. I just stopped at the grocery store and bought a cooler, some rum, Tecate and mixins, a few plastic cups and some ice. The Ice guy comes around about 2:00pm every day and Will at the coffee shop will help you get some Ice for your cooler. Problem solved... I donated my red cooler when I was there to other guests that might want to use it when I left, so ask around...

The other people there are great. This place attracts the low maintenance do it yourself kind of people that are really more fun anyway. High maintenance whiney people don't stay long here.

The beach is amazing. They rake is clean and smooth daily. It's a short walk up or down the beach to all sorts of things, or across the street to the best restaurant in the area.

Room Tip: Room 2 is a single King that walks out onto the beach. I loved it!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

So sad to see a place that has some much potential and only a mere three years ago was actually very enjoyable to stay to go downhill. I can not say this is the same place as it was in 2011. The place had a bad smell to it, the innkeeper was drunk and barely able to function to show us a room. The beautiful beach is now a campground with tents pitched everywhere. So sad to see this. I wish the owners would really take another try at this because it truly has the potential to be a wonderful place with the best part of the beach in Tulum. I love this place, but can not stay here until some LOVE is put back into it.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank serenity418
Majorca, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights , and, ok its shabby, no services etc. - but we really enjoyed our stay!! The location, right on the beach in Tulum is exceptional. The room was rustic but clean and the bed was comfortable covered with mosquito netting. Good price for the location. They appeared to be redecorating the rooms!
The hotel next door, Tita Tulum, had a small restaurant where we ate lunch and breakfast - very reasonably priced and good. Lots of other restaurants around for en evening meal.
All the staff were friendly. we didn't have any problems.
Would we go back there? It would depend on the price - from what I saw there are much better places charging the same prices! But - it has its charm!
There were notices around the place stating that they hadn't paid their taxes - but it was still running in February.
We are two ladies in our mid sixties! Tulum is a fabulous place.

Room Tip: We had a room on the ground floor which opened directly on to the beach - just wonderful! We did, h...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Missoula, Montana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

My friends, husband,and I stayed here for part of our trip and loved it! Some of the reviews are true, but it really depends on how picky you are. Some of the staff do get very drunk but are funny and still very helpful. The beds are clean and the beach you cant beat! It is laid back and noone keeps tabs on you or ever cares what you are doing. Would go back any day! You getb used to the power outages and lizards on the wall :)

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank TimbreC
ParaysoHotel150813, Manager at Amelie Tulum, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thanks for your review!!

we have many exciting things on the way this year. A very nice beach bar, with tacos, beer, and cocktails beachside, we have brand new linens and towel sheets refurmished as well as all rooms will now have their own private balcony.

Our location is the best in tulum.

RIGHT on the Best beach in the World! Best Location WITH oceanfront view rooms, large balcony, french doors, private washroom, kingsize beds, beachside bar. Steps away from crystal clear white sand and the calm Caribbean. We have a pool..bar...and common cook-out area. A short stroll away snorkling, Sia-Kaan park, Tulum Ruins, restaurants, bars, spas, yoga classes, dive shops and dancing beach clubs!!