“Do not stay here. Worst hotel experience of our lives.”
Review of Amelie Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Amelie Tulum
Ranked #97 of 100 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed August 8, 2013

To start, my wife and I are used to camping and backpacking and are very low maintenance type people. We are not spoiled or pampered people. This review is coming from an Army officer and a woman who works on a ranch. If you want to save yourself a read, just know that this place was the worst place my wife or I have ever stayed. The people were unfriendly, I had a better nights rest on deployment and the rooms were horrible; would have rather slept on the beach.

1:30pm: try to check in early and are told 1 hour. That's fine because we were early and check in isn't until 3. So we decide to use the beach. At 2:30 I ask about the room. I am told 5 minutes. Ask again at 3 (check in time), I am told another "5" minutes. I ask again at 3:15 and am blown off as he skypes a friend or co worker. At 3:40 we finally receive our room. We are pretty low maintenance people so think everything will be better now. Well.... We were wrong. The room smelled like this odd smoke from a fire. Not a camp fire but some primitive banana leave fire. Asked for a different room and after some resistance, we finally get one. It is a little bigger and doesn't smell like smoke. So we are happy. It's really hot but has 2 fans so we think its ok. We then go to use the beach again and buy a couple drinks. The bartender had 2 different cheap bottles of liquor to make all the drinks from. So pretty much your only choice was a margarita. Charges us $8 for 2 drinks during happy hour. Pretty expensive considering that it was crap alcohol and happy hour.

After getting drinks, we decide to walk the beach to see what there is to eat around here. We check out 3 different restaurants and all 3 have crazy high prices. That would be fine if they were really nice restaurants with a wide variety; that was not the case though.

1:30 in the morning: wake up because of how hot it is. Can't keep the windows open due to the fake drapes getting in the way. It's hotter in the room than it is outside.

3:30: wake up to thinking my wife is caressing my side. Find out it is a large bug. Also discovered they cut the power to the room so it's even hotter because the 2 fans won't work.

4:00am: that is when I decided to write this review because neither I nor my wife could go back to bed. I will be checking out of this dump early and staying somewhere where we can actually sleep.

P.S the beach isn't any better to sleep on because you'll get bit by a ton of bugs.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Missionmtman
Paraysohotel, Manager at Amelie Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2013

Dear Guest:

On behalf of our hotel, we apologize for the power outage that occurred at the hotel during your stay. This would obviously create an uncomfortable stay for you amoungst other issues.

As a result, please contact us directly for a full nights credit due to this inconvinience.

Thank you again and our sincere apologies.

hotel manangement.

Reviewed August 7, 2013

I have probably seen about all the beaches from Cancun on down to Punta Allen. This is the cleanest and smoothest. This hotel is pretty laid back. Nothing formal here. There is a CLOTHING OPTIONAL sign near the beach, but we did not see any discarded items.

Room Tip: Go for the suites. The "Cottage" units are quite spartan, no screens on windows, and lac...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jacjsc
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We stayed in March 2014. When they took us to our room, it was not what we had reserved. I had reserved king bed with balcony. It was occupied. They gave us room with extra beds in and the bathroom smelled. I complained and they shrugged, then they moved us upstairs, again not what I wanted but they said there was nothing else. I complained next day and finally they gave us the 3rd floor penthouse to shut me up. Beautiful location. Beach bar expensive, bring your own booze. Wifi better than most. Beach chairs need replacing, several broken.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LLBen
Reviewed July 1, 2013

we loved the location of the spot but in our description of our room it stated beach front views.
instead we where in a dark hut with an overflowing shower. beds very hard, thin pillows and not much of a reception or greeting. this place has potential but we weren't that impressed. great to go to the beach but other wise very hard to do things defiantly need transport of some sort. only food around was over priced average food restaurants all the quality is in town. we moved into town after two nights so just enjoyed the beach for those two days :)

Room Tip: pay the extra price for the beach front dont go in the huts
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 23, 2013

We were originally booked to stay at Eco Cabanas My Tulum however due to a double booking, the owner at Eco Cabanas offered to put us up at the Parayso Hotel which was next door. Although a little apprehensive due to the less than stellar reviews, we decided to give Parayso a chance and we are glad we did.

Graham and the staff at the hotel were AMAZING! They were always helpful with directions, recommendations or just good conversation by the pool.

Although our room was pretty basic, it was very large, it was cleaned daily with fresh towels, the bed was comfortable and came with mosquito nets and a fan. The location of this hotel on possibly the best beach in the world limited our time in the room considerably.

As mentioned the staff was great, the location was great, the rooms were definitely adequate which made for a great trip for my and my wife Jen.

I would recommend this hotel to friends and would come back.

Thanks Parayso for a great stay!

Room Tip: Grab a room facing the ocean, it will help keep the room a little cooler at night. The rooms at the...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank arkay
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Great simple accommodations, very friendly & helpful staff, super beach location & being right on the ocean, you fall asleep to the waves and wake up happy .... to a beautiful sunrise. Room was clean and the balcony a good size, right on the beach... It was a lovely time...I for sure will go back. Very nice place. Thanks Aldo

Room Tip: Stayed in a rooms facing the ocean ... Was wonderful, was the best!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 15, 2013

The hotel room was nice, very dark which was great to sleep. Comfortable bed and clean overall. The bathroom was a decent size to get ready. The pool is a lot smaller than on the website which I found funny but overall a good stay. Great location to go out on 5th Avenue and to the bus station.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com