“Perfect Location, Friendly Staff, Clean Comfortable Rooms!”
Review of Amelie Tulum

Amelie Tulum
Ranked #92 of 95 Hotels in Tulum
Boston, Massachusetts
“Perfect Location, Friendly Staff, Clean Comfortable Rooms!”
Reviewed August 24, 2012

ParaYso is perfect for my taste. I have been going to Tulum for many years, so I have seen a lot of changes in the accommodations along the beach. I like the unpretentiousness of ParaYso, not easily found in the many “Eco Chic” establishments that keep popping up along the beach. The location is perfect, the staff was awesome, Erika and Juan Carlos couldn’t have been sweeter, and the price was affordable. All in all I loved ParaYso and look forward to returning for another winter escape.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Patllane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed July 31, 2012

Thanks to the taxi we took at Tulum 'estacion de autobuses', we arrived at Parayso. We were welcomed very warmly by the new manager Ron. We directly felt at home. We had a really big bedroom with 2 matrimonial beds, and everything was very clean and tight, with a wonderful seeview.

After a long walk along Tulum’s coast, we noticed that Parayso is located at the most beautiful part of the beach: no algues on the beach neither in the water, only withe sand and clear water. The team, and especially Ron are very helpful for everything you ask them. They know really well the region and can advice you the nicest places to visit, where no tourist go to.

What we loved the most, beside the good location; the spacious, clean and tidy rooms; the wonderful paradise-beach; the guided turtle-watching in the night; the free salsa-lessons of the bartender and the guys on the beach under a wonderful MilkyWay; the free bodyboards (a lot!) and snorkeling material to use for swimming; the clean and warm swimming pool, was the excellent service!

The service made this whole 3day-stay at Parayso really unforgettable! Ron and his guys were there for us at any time. For every question they had a funny, interesting and perfect answer. We will never forget about you guys and especially our best breakfasts with Mexicans best fruits and juices on a wonderful beach in the morning!

Gracias por todo, los chicos de belgica!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed July 25, 2012

I absolutely loved everything about Hotel Parayso -- The People, the Location, the bar, the beautiful pool and the best view of the Milky Way! I could not of felt more welcome by the lovely staff at Parayso. Ron and Louis and all the gals and guys who make that side of the beach shine out just a little brighter are doing such a fantastic job at making this place brand new with natural charm and beauty which made it hard to leave such a place! Unfortunately, we did not reserve a room here because we were staying in a house nearby so walking on the beach led us up to the bar playing Pearl Jam and thats when we were quickly greeted and introduced to the general manager, Ron B. He asked our drink orders and made us feel right at home. We ended up stopping by at least once a day for a drink and good company. Rodrigo and guys from the hotel saw beautiful sea turtles out in front one night (which come to find out they had a path to a birthing nest close by.) The sunsets were more like a fantastical parade of shapes and colors resembling sea and land creatures, gods and animals. The view from the loungers at Parayso were mystifyingly, surreal and absolutely gorgeous! The hotel is most conveniently located just north of the last hotel zones before the entrance of Sian Ka'an. I bet you that this place is going to see a lot more stays once the renovation is complete but for the meantime I did not hear one complaint from anyone in house the entire week we were there. In fact the drive was consistently parked with rentals and hotel vans for good transporation options. We wish Hotel Parayso the very best and we know that we cannot stay gone for long! See you soon my friends, Much Love ~LR

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
new york city
Reviewed July 13, 2012

If there was a -5 rating, they would get it ! This place is so bad, that it really should closed. Here's just a sampling of the problems and "false-advertising" from their website:
1. The pool in the front of the building is so murky, that you can;t see 6 inches into it. It is also full of sand, as it is used by everyone to rinse their feet after leaving the beach (partially due to the fact that the water spout provided to rinse your feet only has scalding hot water coming out of it).
2, There is major room construction going on, with constant hammering, sawing and drilling. (no mention of this anywhere by anyone).
3. The room....one thin bedsheet and a blanket in the closet that is unusable since it was "damp"....no mosquito net as pictured on website...hair all over the floor in the room...
4. The bathroom....OMG...broken toilet seat...half a roll of toilet paper provided....NO HOT WATER (it is all in the spout by the pool !)...cold water that is so salty that the soap doesn't even lather and it burns your skin...
5. 24 hour electricity provided by a "green wind turbine" that is shut off sometime around 10pm, so the fan that is provided can not be used at night (not can the fan we brought ourselves !). So, when we decided to sleep with the balcony doors open to get some sort of breeze, we were attacked by mosquitos.... see comment # 3....I say no more !
6. The beach....pristine beach shown on the website must be another resort. There was trash and dirty dishes and cups strewn around the small beach area. The two chairs that were left (at 11 am) were both broken and we had to lean them up against a palapa to be able to sit upright.
7. Pool bar that has "happy hour" starting at 2 pm and serves margaritas that can't be more than 4 oz. for $8 USD !
8. Advertised WIFI is literally only available at a 6 ft space next to the "reception" desk. The only WIFI signal in the room (50 feet away) was from the resort next door !

This place is a disaster. There are NUMEROUS other MUCH nicer places along the beach road in Tulum.

So, after a long dinner with friends, we were forced to drive an hour back home at 2 am to get a good night's sleep !

PITIFUL !!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else !
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank BeachBum77701
Paraysohotel, Owner at Amelie Tulum, responded to this review, August 16, 2012
Dear BeachBum77701:

I am very sorry to hear that you had a bad stay at our little beach hotel.

Judging from when you went, I believe it was in the summer. I will answer your concerns one by one as you have itemized it in your response.

1. The pool is actually at the back of the building, not at the front. It is ample sized, with a ledge for children and families, as well as full length for adults. We clean our pool each morning to ensure that it is clean. There are times when the wind is strong in tulum that may cause sand in the pool as we are right on the beach, which may be part of the reason why you felt it was "murky."

2. We have 11 rooms, we have been built since 2007. We don't have any major consturction going on at our place, so I do not know what you can be referring to exactly. We do not either have any major renovations going on.

3. In the summertime, Tulum is relatively hot. We supply a room fan and we provide a thin sheet as at times it can get as hot as 80 or 100F. We also encourage our guests to keep the french doors open at night to let the breeze in. If you felt cold, our reception could have easily supplied you with a large blanket.

4. We do have hot water in our bathrooms, we provide toliet paper etc. We are an ecofriendly hotel, and we are not in Cancun. Tulum is much more of a "green" feel, and each hotel is like its own island, the water pressure is a natural gravity feed. If you are looking for a place that has hi-pressurized system, I would consider a first world city, such as Cancun or cities that are fully developed, unlike the hotels in the beaches of tulum.

5. Yes, we provide our electricity 24hours, in most part via our slient wind turbine and or our electric generator. Both provide 24 hours a day electricty, including Wifi, hotwater.

6. Our beach is cleaned every day, its one of the best beaches in the world, if not the best.

I have carefully read your review. I'm concerned more for you Sir. There are many guests that do stay at our hotel, we do understand not everyone is pleased. However, we were not the best choice for you. I needed to answer this review as it is so misleading, its very hard to understand your true motivation. I don't believe this review has accurately reflected the true state of our hotel in any means, however, I am happy to discuss with you in further actual facts.

thank you. have a pleasant day.

Travelers are raving about these Tulum hotels

Reviewed July 8, 2012 via mobile

Clean, reasonably priced rooms along the beach strip. Ideal location to relax on very quiet beautiful beach. We saw giant turtles at night on the beach, very cool. 5 min bike from bars/restaurants. Only downer was the odd power cut and water systems going down. They were doing renovations though so best to check first.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed here for last minute getaway, it is simple good value on a beautiful part of tulum beach. Rooms are a bit old, not kept up very well - but if your there to njoy the beach and disconnect it is perfect!

For an amazing culinary experience head down to los Aguachiles in tulum pueblo- which is passing el camello on the main highway road right where u can make a u turn where the gaurd hut is:) order el aguachile de callo de hacha - which is a small shellfish.... Absolutely amazing ! Disfruten!

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank sandriloqui
Allen, Texas
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Parayso on Tulum beach. Tulum Playa is a little like hippie ville, and that is the appeal to many travelers. Finding fresh water for showering is almost impossible on the entire beach stretch, and there is limited electricity depending on which hotel you stay. If you know this going in then you can make the decision if any of that matters to you. Prices vary depending on time of year, and had a definite impact on our impression of Parayso. We paid about $70 for our room (and you could get a smaller room for around $40 in mid May) so we were willing to forgive some of the short comings. If I had spent any more than that I would have been very unhappy.
First the positives. We stayed in the Bella Vista Suite on the third floor and had a private balcony at least three times the size in a normal hotel. The view is spectacular. You are right on the beach (which is one of the finest in the world) and can be in a fairly new lounger in about one minute from your room. The bar had great drinks for 40 pesos each (about $3.50 USD). The third floor has very good internet access, but the first floor had almost none. The employees were very friendly but spoke little to no English. This is not a negative in my opinion because you are in Mexico and the language of their country is Spanish. I feel it is my role as a guest in their country to adapt to their language... not the other way around. Take a little time to learn minimal Spanish and there is no problem communicating the basics.
Now the reasons we would not stay there again (in no particular order). No fresh water. After the second day I was desperate to not feel like I had a film all over my body. We tried to lessen the effects by jumping in the pool, but that combined with no air conditioning (and about a 90% humidity level for those two days) had me longing for an AI. No air conditioning. The temperature was not stifling, but there is never a break. We left all doors and windows open and you do get a nice ocean breeze, but again with the humidity we longed for artificial cooling. Not overly clean. The bed sheets were clean (I think) but they had many stains on them. Cobwebs in the cabinets. Cigarette butts on the balcony. It wasn't terrible, but it seems like just a little more effort could have made a big difference. The bar closed between five and six, so they were making their guests go somewhere else for an early evening drink before dinner. Again, not a huge issue, just one more thing that made the experience a little less. The bed was very uncomfortable. It felt like it was broken (I know that is a poor description, but I do not know how else to describe it). It is not that any of the negatives were intolerable, it is just things to take into consideration when comparing cost of lodging if you are staying on the Tulum beach. If you are looking for a vacation with no frills or comforts, and you can get the $40-$70 price, this might be a good option. It was just frustrating that it felt like with just a little bit more effort, this could be a fabulous property.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple