“Do Not Even Consider Staying Here !”
Review of Amelie Tulum

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tulum
Amelie Tulum
Ranked #95 of 98 Hotels in Tulum
Reviewed July 13, 2012

If there was a -5 rating, they would get it ! This place is so bad, that it really should closed. Here's just a sampling of the problems and "false-advertising" from their website:
1. The pool in the front of the building is so murky, that you can;t see 6 inches into it. It is also full of sand, as it is used by everyone to rinse their feet after leaving the beach (partially due to the fact that the water spout provided to rinse your feet only has scalding hot water coming out of it).
2, There is major room construction going on, with constant hammering, sawing and drilling. (no mention of this anywhere by anyone).
3. The room....one thin bedsheet and a blanket in the closet that is unusable since it was "damp"....no mosquito net as pictured on website...hair all over the floor in the room...
4. The bathroom....OMG...broken toilet seat...half a roll of toilet paper provided....NO HOT WATER (it is all in the spout by the pool !)...cold water that is so salty that the soap doesn't even lather and it burns your skin...
5. 24 hour electricity provided by a "green wind turbine" that is shut off sometime around 10pm, so the fan that is provided can not be used at night (not can the fan we brought ourselves !). So, when we decided to sleep with the balcony doors open to get some sort of breeze, we were attacked by mosquitos.... see comment # 3....I say no more !
6. The beach....pristine beach shown on the website must be another resort. There was trash and dirty dishes and cups strewn around the small beach area. The two chairs that were left (at 11 am) were both broken and we had to lean them up against a palapa to be able to sit upright.
7. Pool bar that has "happy hour" starting at 2 pm and serves margaritas that can't be more than 4 oz. for $8 USD !
8. Advertised WIFI is literally only available at a 6 ft space next to the "reception" desk. The only WIFI signal in the room (50 feet away) was from the resort next door !

This place is a disaster. There are NUMEROUS other MUCH nicer places along the beach road in Tulum.

So, after a long dinner with friends, we were forced to drive an hour back home at 2 am to get a good night's sleep !

PITIFUL !!!

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else !
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank BeachBum77701
Paraysohotel, Owner at Amelie Tulum, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2012

Dear BeachBum77701:

I am very sorry to hear that you had a bad stay at our little beach hotel.

Judging from when you went, I believe it was in the summer. I will answer your concerns one by one as you have itemized it in your response.

1. The pool is actually at the back of the building, not at the front. It is ample sized, with a ledge for children and families, as well as full length for adults. We clean our pool each morning to ensure that it is clean. There are times when the wind is strong in tulum that may cause sand in the pool as we are right on the beach, which may be part of the reason why you felt it was "murky."

2. We have 11 rooms, we have been built since 2007. We don't have any major consturction going on at our place, so I do not know what you can be referring to exactly. We do not either have any major renovations going on.

3. In the summertime, Tulum is relatively hot. We supply a room fan and we provide a thin sheet as at times it can get as hot as 80 or 100F. We also encourage our guests to keep the french doors open at night to let the breeze in. If you felt cold, our reception could have easily supplied you with a large blanket.

4. We do have hot water in our bathrooms, we provide toliet paper etc. We are an ecofriendly hotel, and we are not in Cancun. Tulum is much more of a "green" feel, and each hotel is like its own island, the water pressure is a natural gravity feed. If you are looking for a place that has hi-pressurized system, I would consider a first world city, such as Cancun or cities that are fully developed, unlike the hotels in the beaches of tulum.

5. Yes, we provide our electricity 24hours, in most part via our slient wind turbine and or our electric generator. Both provide 24 hours a day electricty, including Wifi, hotwater.

6. Our beach is cleaned every day, its one of the best beaches in the world, if not the best.

I have carefully read your review. I'm concerned more for you Sir. There are many guests that do stay at our hotel, we do understand not everyone is pleased. However, we were not the best choice for you. I needed to answer this review as it is so misleading, its very hard to understand your true motivation. I don't believe this review has accurately reflected the true state of our hotel in any means, however, I am happy to discuss with you in further actual facts.

thank you. have a pleasant day.

There are newer reviews for Amelie Tulum

Reviewed July 8, 2012

Clean, reasonably priced rooms along the beach strip. Ideal location to relax on very quiet beautiful beach. We saw giant turtles at night on the beach, very cool. 5 min bike from bars/restaurants. Only downer was the odd power cut and water systems going down. They were doing renovations though so best to check first.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Stayed here for last minute getaway, it is simple good value on a beautiful part of tulum beach. Rooms are a bit old, not kept up very well - but if your there to njoy the beach and disconnect it is perfect!

For an amazing culinary experience head down to los Aguachiles in tulum pueblo- which is passing el camello on the main highway road right where u can make a u turn where the gaurd hut is:) order el aguachile de callo de hacha - which is a small shellfish.... Absolutely amazing ! Disfruten!

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank sandriloqui
Reviewed June 6, 2012

My wife and I stayed two nights at the Parayso on Tulum beach. Tulum Playa is a little like hippie ville, and that is the appeal to many travelers. Finding fresh water for showering is almost impossible on the entire beach stretch, and there is limited electricity depending on which hotel you stay. If you know this going in then you can make the decision if any of that matters to you. Prices vary depending on time of year, and had a definite impact on our impression of Parayso. We paid about $70 for our room (and you could get a smaller room for around $40 in mid May) so we were willing to forgive some of the short comings. If I had spent any more than that I would have been very unhappy.
First the positives. We stayed in the Bella Vista Suite on the third floor and had a private balcony at least three times the size in a normal hotel. The view is spectacular. You are right on the beach (which is one of the finest in the world) and can be in a fairly new lounger in about one minute from your room. The bar had great drinks for 40 pesos each (about $3.50 USD). The third floor has very good internet access, but the first floor had almost none. The employees were very friendly but spoke little to no English. This is not a negative in my opinion because you are in Mexico and the language of their country is Spanish. I feel it is my role as a guest in their country to adapt to their language... not the other way around. Take a little time to learn minimal Spanish and there is no problem communicating the basics.
Now the reasons we would not stay there again (in no particular order). No fresh water. After the second day I was desperate to not feel like I had a film all over my body. We tried to lessen the effects by jumping in the pool, but that combined with no air conditioning (and about a 90% humidity level for those two days) had me longing for an AI. No air conditioning. The temperature was not stifling, but there is never a break. We left all doors and windows open and you do get a nice ocean breeze, but again with the humidity we longed for artificial cooling. Not overly clean. The bed sheets were clean (I think) but they had many stains on them. Cobwebs in the cabinets. Cigarette butts on the balcony. It wasn't terrible, but it seems like just a little more effort could have made a big difference. The bar closed between five and six, so they were making their guests go somewhere else for an early evening drink before dinner. Again, not a huge issue, just one more thing that made the experience a little less. The bed was very uncomfortable. It felt like it was broken (I know that is a poor description, but I do not know how else to describe it). It is not that any of the negatives were intolerable, it is just things to take into consideration when comparing cost of lodging if you are staying on the Tulum beach. If you are looking for a vacation with no frills or comforts, and you can get the $40-$70 price, this might be a good option. It was just frustrating that it felt like with just a little bit more effort, this could be a fabulous property.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MikeL776
Reviewed May 14, 2012 via mobile

Horrible water pressure, poor communication and over priced. Our bathroom had no water for several hours, when it was finally fixed, the toilet still didn't flush. Host was unaccomadating. In all fairness, the rooms were clean and the location was beautiful. However, there are several other places with the exact same view. Actually better, because in front of our hotel was the only beach not being raked. Other hotels had employees moving and buried the seaweed out front, enhancing the beach experience. Not a big deal, but everything else was. Plus, the rooms are ridiculously hot. They provide fans but what they don't tell you is that the power goes off in the entire hotel at 5am. Apparently it happens everywhere beachfront in Tolum unless the place has generators or solar panels. It has to do with regulations near the biosphere. You will not be told this beforehand. Also, there price is high. Keep looking and you can find better

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank Citytruck

yes, Tulum is in the tropics and moreover, we are a hotel like all the others along the hotel strip, that has natural energy as our source. In may, Tulum can get very hot. We recommend for best room cirulcation is to leave the french doors facing the caribbean ocean open slightly, to let the breeze through. The breeze combined with the fan allows for the air to circulate through, and in most cases, no nead for Air Conditioning.

There are a few places that do offer Air Conditioning in Tulum however you are right in that they require large generators. A good part of the year, there is clearly no need for a/c due to the breeze and the air circulation from the ocean.

Our place is peferct if you are looking for a ocean view, large kingsize beds, private washroom, but not for A/C.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

overall this hotel had a great location, but is a bit older and not the cleanest.

the beach is absolutely gorgeous, the beach furniture is newer and quite nice. The bar didn't even have cold water though, so i had to walk 1km to the store. the bed is a little hard. sheets had a few stains but felt clean. the room had a beautiful large balcony with ocean views. No A/C in the room, and no screens so you couldn't keep the balcony doors open. there was a stand up fan. All the wooden stools and furniture had been recently varnished, so they looked really nice, but i couldn't sit on them or unpack my clothing for fear of grease stains! The shower was spacious, but there was lots of salt build up on the taps which was kinda gross. shower and tap was was slightly salty, but fresher than the ocean. The cupboards and drawers hadn't been cleaned and were dirty and had some dead bugs. The pool was nice but the water needed to be cleaned.

the woman who worked reception was quite friendly and approachable, though she had trouble understanding my English, so I communicated with her in my very basic Spanish.

I came in with quite low expectations as the property had had really poor reviews on Expedia, but was happy to pay $30 for a private suite with power on the beach!

saturday nights they have a salsa party and set up a dance floor and have free salsa lessons. I didn't participate. they played the music fairly loudly 3pm to midnight. it was very peaceful though on the friday night.

wifi worked well in my room.

Room Tip: room 7 (the door says 100) has the biggest balcony and probably the best view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 26, 2012

I think the location is great, but not sure that I would return to this hotel, especially for the price. For the price we were paying, I expected some amenities, i.e. a small refrigerator.

The shower in our room was dripping all day and all night, pretty profusely. We informed the hotel but they said plumbers don’t work on weekends. There was no follow-up. I figured it was a developing country, so just sucked it up. What I cannot reconcile is the price we paid per night (almost $200 with tax) and the standard of the product/service we received.

The door leading to the balcony was hard to open because the door hardware was rusty and looked like it had been rusty for a long while. We struggled for awhile each time we wanted to open the door because of the rusty metal parts.

Given that the hotel is located on the beach and guests will be going up and down the steps dripping water, the steps should have some sort of anti-slip put on them. My husband had a terrible fall coming down from the 3rd floor, gashed his elbow, and injured his ribs and back. (And no, he is not elderly.)

I thought Mexico would provide more value but I think in general, Mexican tourism prices seem a bit unrealistic for what you get. The prices we paid in Mexico for food, products, & services are the same as we pay in large metro areas in the US but without the standards.

I'd give the service a lower rating, but I liked Erica, the concierge, who is very pleasant, though it seems she is the only one holding down the fort. I hope she gets a big raise for her efforts.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family