“About the worst customer service I've ever experienced.”
Review of Casa Violeta

and 1 more site!
Casa Violeta
Ranked #32 of 104 Tulum B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I wanted SO badly to love staying at Casa Violeta. It looked so beautiful and was in such a stellar location…

I'm including the full story below, but the short version is this:

We ended up having to break into our hotel room in the pitch black, in the middle of the night even through we called multiple times and spoke with someone about our scheduled late arrival. My husband pulled a neck muscle carrying all our luggage through the sandy beach since I couldn't help him much as I'm 7 months pregnant.

The owner, once she was notified about the whole situation, gave us a whopping 15% off our first night stay…. which ended up equalling about $30. Did I mention that our bill was over $2000 for the week?

Yes, the rooms are beautiful, the hotel is beautiful… but I don’t think I can recommend anyone staying here.

Here’s the whole story:

Making a reservation ended up being a lot harder than just picking up the phone and calling. It was more like picking up the phone and calling several times a day for multiple days till everything was finalized. The owner Karla kept saying she would call me back with information and then later confirmation, and she never did. So I had to keep calling her.

Then, 2 weeks after making our reservation I received an email from a manager stating that the room we had booked for the later portion of our stay had "become available" and were we interested in it. I wrote her back explaining that we had already booked the room she was offering us and that it should NOT be available to anyone.

But this isn't even the good stuff...
Our inbound flight was significantly delayed due to weather. I emailed management several times updating them to our new arrival times. I even called management once we arrive in CUN international speaking with someone and informing them of our further delay and our 1am arrival. I was told it wouldn't be a problem and they were informed etc.

We arrive at Casa Violeta at 1am to the hotel being completely dark (no lights at all) and the front entrance and 2nd entrance for parking padlocked shut. No one responded to our calls (both phone and aloud). I ended up finding a way to walk to the beach through the adjacent hotel (Hotel OM) walking on the beach, using my cell phone as a light, entering Casa Violeta. I continued to call both on my phone and aloud. No one was there.

Long story short we ended up having to break into our hotel room in the pitch black. My husband pulled a neck muscle carrying all our luggage through the sandy beach, I couldn't help him much since I'm 7 months pregnant.

The next morning I found the Manager who listened to my whole story and responded "But the room was ok once you got in right??". Really?! I was then further assured that the owner, Karla would be informed as to what had happened and they would figure out how to turn our stay around into a positive experience.

Well Karla, the owner, ended up giving us a whopping 15% off... our first night stay. This ended up being about $30. My husband and I were pretty blown away that she cared so little about our experience.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
11  Thank SidraGross

Reviewed February 5, 2014

I've been traveling to Mexico for years and ever since I first saw Casa Violeta I wanted to stay there! This place is a beautiful, comfortable and the staff is fantastic ! The proximity to the beach on site yoga and again the friendly helpful staff made for a beautiful trip. Unfortunately, a interaction with the owner Karla, has really impacted whether I'll ever stay at Casa Violeta again? An interaction I wanted to share. I was to travel with a friend who subsequently broke his hip and was hospitalized, a few days before arrival. I wasn't sure what to do, especially, since a 50 percent deposit is required and not refundable, which I get! I thought leaving a day early was a good option, and a way to save a little money, until Karla informed me I'd be charged. I have traveled all over the world and unless it is a prepaid reservation for the entire trip, which this was not, I've never heard of not being able to check out a day early with proper notice ( which this was). She made note of the cancellation policy, which only stated a $50 change fee. I was completely turned off, but since my only other option was to cancel and lose a lot of money, I was determined not to let Karla's lack of hospitality and good business sense ruin my vacation, which it didn't !
I've read other reviews noting her lack of graciousness, which is a strange way to run a business, but to each their own! I had a great trip and will return to Tulum, just not sure I feel comfortable supporting a business which has such terrible customer service at the top! Again, it must be said the accommodations and staff are top notch!

Room Tip: Magnolia on the ocean with amazing views!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank Michael G
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Casa Violeta is a fantastic, comfortable, and beautiful place that is worth the price several times over. Visited for four nights. The beach is one of the best we've ever seen, and is perfect for swimming, walking along, or just lazing next to. The room is comfortable, clean, and romantic. The food is absolutely excellent - The pizza is pure northern Italian, and the fish is some of the best we've ever had. By far one of the nicest places we've ever stayed.

Room choice matters a lot - check out the site and choose accordingly. Generator (and therefore power) is shut off late at night for a few hours - though we never noticed (always slept through it).

Only possible complaint - the shower head was a bit clogged while we were there, and therefore flowed a little slowly, but because we never complained, it's not surprising that this wasn't fixed.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2013

This is a great place to stay in Tulum. Cozy and friendly. Rooms vary greatly. Be sure you are beach front and confirm it twice for all days of your reservation. The rooms are open to fresh air, rain and bugs so be prepared. It's a trade off for ocean breezes, open air showers and the sound of waves. Don't miss the sunrises. They are glorious. Restaurant food and staff are great. We got so relaxed we hardly left the place! magnolia is the best room. Iris was very nice. Ixchel was smaller and less breezy. Book through the office or you might not get what you think you're getting.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed November 25, 2013

We loved our 5 day stay at Casa Violeta. My fiance and I left feeling rejuvenated, relaxed and tan! The staff was absolutely remarkable. Marianno, Sol, Chris and Javi were a joy to be around and we appreciated their hands-off, yet personable approach. The food & drink was delectable, every bite and sip.

It is important to note that the owner required that we pay in full at check-in, which I've never done in all my world travels. I note this because nowhere payment terms is this mentioned. Upon check-in it felt shaddy and confusing.

We loved our room and would request it again - and remember people - this is 2 steps above glamping (no TP in the toilet, terrible water pressure, no hairdryers allowed due to a power generator). It's off the grid, and true R&R if you're up for it!

Lastly, don't expect a thank-you or smile from the owner...even though she's at the table next to you with her toddler son at EVERY meal. She's all business.

Room Tip: We loved Jasmin!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Went in early October for 7 days, it was a gorgeous hotel, straight from a postcard.

PROS: Beautiful, gorgeous hotel, the casa magnolia cabana is literally steps off the water. you roll out of bed to a beautiful view and step onto the sand and can roll right into the beach chairs which are yours so never an issue with anyone stealing them or not having yours (all are named according to cabana). the room is spaceous, great for relaxing, with an upstairs with a smaller bed and a small bed to the side of ours. More than enough room & beds than we had things to do with.
the view from our room and from outside our room was gorgeous...breathtaking. waking up with the ocean sounds was priceless...definitely would recommend it. Just city folk beware as it's a little like camping but on the beach.
there are a lot of restaurants nearby within walking distance as well as through taxi.

a couple of things that came as a surprise for those city people who aren't use to this:
the electricity is shut off from 4pm - 6 pm so that means no wifi (no phones) no fans but doesn't usually matter at this time as you're on the beach regardless.
unfortunately electricity also shuts off at night (around midnight) and won't turn back on until close to 7 am. If you don't get the breeze from the ocean it can get hot.
You're not allowed to plug anything in except a phone charger as it will kill the generator - for those who use irons or hair things leave it at home. sundresses a must as you can't iron anything
for the last four days of our trip we had no hot water...and thinking that it's 80 degrees outside must make for a nice cold shower is not the case. we asked several times and got several stories as to why the water was off - as nice as the people are I don't think they communicate with each other much.
the food at the restaurant was expensive and honestly not that great...italian sort of and did not compare to other restaurants in the area. it was a beautiful view but the food was not a great value for the price, not easy to get to town - for souvenirs & money exchange which only happens from 9-12pm i think and taxi is pricey - about 80 - 130 pesos . you can wait forever for a little bus that takes all the locals "colectivo local" but it's usually full and not worth the wait

and for girls who are scared of critters - was not that big of a problem despite there being open areas everywhere in the cabana (tree goes straight thru the casa magnolia) . I did find a HUGE
flying roach once but other than that the mosquitoes were a problem once we left the cabana not inside. The hotel provides you with some type of burning candle that makes mosquitoes disappear.
All in all would do it again..

Room Tip: Choose Casa Magnolia. all the other cabanas were farther away - still reasonably close to beach but...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed one night a CV in an off beach upstairs room. At about 11pm we had house music blasting full volume down the street and country music blasting just across the road for the next 2 or 3 hours. To top it off the odor of sewage was so strong, especially once the fans cut out, that we left the room with a blanket and tried to sleep on the beach. Informing the receptionist the next day (who was lovely) she spoke to management and organized a 15% discount. Definitely not worth $140 for an off ocean cabana and 3 hours sleep!!

• Stayed: September 2013