“We stayed in Violeta, and loved it.”
Review of Casa Violeta

Casa Violeta
Ranked #35 of 81 Tulum B&B and Inns
Santa Cruz, California
“We stayed in Violeta, and loved it.”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We came to Tulum for a wedding (which was at Zebra, just down the beach) and stayed in Violeta for five days. I'm pretty convinced this is the nicest place on the Tulum Playa. The room was beautiful and clean, staff was kind and spoke english and spanish, oceanfront view was amazing, and despite the eco-vibe our room was clean and we were given a pile of fresh towels daily (important detail). It's true that there was rolling power, but we were advised of the times (power came on at 8am and went off again early afternoon; came on again at 6pm and went off at 10pm). Breakfast (free) started at 8am and included coffee, fresh milk, fruit, cereal and nutella. We stayed for five nights and had lovely weather until the last night, when a storm came in. It poured rain all night and day and the room leaked a tiny bit - just near the windows. All in all I would highly recommend Casa Violeta to anyone who's already made the decision to forgo a bit of western comfort and visit Tulum - it was a lovely, languid, sensory experience.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Nicholson, PA
Reviewed July 25, 2011

Casa Violeta was everything I expected and then some!! We spent 5 days here last March 2010 (I could not put this as our stay date) and arrived to find a room with rose pedals and candle light welcoming us, not to mention a beach front cabana with a view that there are no words to describe. To say it was amazing is an understatement. My husband and I loved everything about this place. The food was out of this world, the staff running Casa Violeta felt like family in a day and were so wonderful. I even booked a session with the Shaman Carlos which was inspiring. The decor made me redecorate my home when I came back to PA. I just can't say enough wonderful things about this place. Remember it is an eco retreat, meaning no electricity after 11pm and no television, no phone, and no ability to flush things in the toliet. But that added to the charm for us. We stayed in both Lily and Magnolia and enjoyed both but Magnolia is something out of a novel.... I almost hate to give away the secret. Marianna was the best! Thank you! We will be back.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DoctorCynthia
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed July 16, 2011

Myself and my Wife had our wedding here last November and everything was just simply amazing. Karla and her team where the most attentive, helpful, wonderful people. They were so accommodating to all of our needs. Tulum itself is a beautiful magical place where you can forget all about your worries in the modern world. Casa Violetta manages to provide a high quality of service in a beautiful location whilst still retaining the tranquility and peacefulness of its location. Tulum unfortunately has too many places claiming to provide eco-chic accommodation that are run poorly and that overcharge. This is why I believe Casa Violeta to be the best hotel possibly in the Yucatan, definitely in Tulum. I can only apologize it has taken me so long to write this review. Thank you Casa Violeta for making our special day so wonderful.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 25, 2011

After searching reviews and websites for a place to stay in Tulum, we found Casa Violeta. While skeptical of reviews, we decided to stay at Casa Violeta and I can say that it was absolutely fantastic. The beach was beautiful and the rooms were awesome. We got to wake up to the sunrise over the ocean every morning. The staff was attentive and very friendly and we could not have asked for more.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jrad1234
Rome, Italy
Reviewed November 28, 2010

If you are looking for a place right on a pristine turquoise beach , away from clubs and noise, truly green and with good beds, look no further. This is It!.
Casa Violeta became the perfect gift my body and soul was aching for. Leaving doors and windows open at night and sleep to the sound of waves was a timeless and soothing experience.
Definitely coming back!!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 1, 2010

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at Casa Violeta. The gracious and welcoming owner really made us feel like we were home in paradise. The beach has the softest white sand, and the Caribbean sea is a cascade of piercing shades of green. I would recommend this place to anyone who has ever dreamed of living a simple life by the beach.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2010

First off, I truly loved my time at Casa Violeta. I combed through reviews on TripAdvisor to find the right place for us to stay in Tulum and was really happy that I chose this place. Its location is perfect - great that is is further south down the road and the resorts around it were smaller with less guests, there were no noisy clubs, and very close to the biosphere.

And yes, It is true that the staff here are amazing. We were treated like family and it meant a lot that they would go out of their way to accommodate us - from arranging taxis, tours, spa treatments, food substitutions, you name it - they would do it for you.

I also loved the fact it is a quaint little eco resort. With very few rooms each guest has plenty of room to either hide-away and enjoy privacy or mingle with the other guests. Unlike a number of the places on the strip who also advertise as eco-resorts or (and I hated this term... really an oxymoron) "eco-chic", Casa Violeta truly lives up to the definition. Many of the places there seem to use the term very loosely to justify accommodations more akin to camping than staying at a hotel.

The restaurant was amazing too. Thanks to Marianne and all the staff there who prepared wonderful food for us at all times of the day!

The rooms were always immaculately cleaned. A couple times they did not give us beach towels but we could always track some down through the staff. The beds/linens were phenomenal but I have no idea when a person would ever use the duvet - way too hot and humid in June for even a thin sheet. The humidity on top of the heat was unbelievable.... I understand why it is "low season"at this time.

The most important argument for why to stay there is undeniably the beach. Beautiful stretch of beach, not busy at all and great for swimming.

Now for the reasons I will know better next time:

Having never been to Mexico before I had no idea what to expect weather-wise. I did research on what the average temperature was but the humidity on top of the heat was the real killer.

We opted to save a bit of money and stay in Artemesia (room above the office) the first three nights then "upgrade" to the beach cabana Lily for the remaining 5 nights. Big mistake. The humidity and wall of heat we experienced was almost intolerable. There was no fan in the room (although admittedly it would have shut off at 11 pm with the electricity...) and no breeze as this suite was not on the beach but closer to the road. Yes, It was a cute room and had a great private balcony but we did not really sleep those first few nights... AT ALL. My other complaint was that the shower was barely a trickle and to wash my long hair was an exercise in patience. They really need to fix the shower so that it works properly. Also, it is clearly indicated on their website that this room is close to the generator that powers the resort but it is really down-played how intrusive this is. Yes, most of our days were spent on the beach or touring around but when we were in our room it was incredibly loud. Just know this because it is a gas-powered generator (not solar!) so it makes quite the racket.

Switching to Lily made a world of difference. The room was still ridiculously hot but much more comfortable - and you could not beat the view. Unbelievably gorgeous! The outdoor shower was fantastic, too. It was definitely worth the extra money to stay in Lily. I wish we had stayed there the entire time. One little mis-communicated description from the website. They refer to the cabana as having a private sitting area. There is a fence of sticks screening the sitting area from the restaurant 10 feet away but this is not completely conceal the area. Plus, the "private sitting area" for the guests at the neighbouring cabana are right beside you. They are only private in that they are just for use by the guests staying in that cabana - not private in the sense that you can not be seen. I really did not care but feel that others should know this going into it. I sat out there for hours and hours each day and it never bothered me that we were within view of the restaurant and other cabanas.

And yes, It is true what was said in other reviews about rust spots on the towels but I never cared. We were not staying at the Four Seasons after all so I am not sure why this bothered people. If it would bother you, though, don't stay. I bet every towel has a rust spot or two.

It is also true that there is varying degrees of maintenance and repair needed on all the suites. Lily cabana's screens on the entire wall of windows facing the beach were ragged and not connected to the window frame properly so you can imagine that bugs could very easily get in. There is a lovely mosquito net for the bed but just think it makes sense to fix the screens so that not as many bugs are getting inside in the first place.

In Artemesia I opened the french doors one afternoon to the balcony and could not get the one side to close because a piece of the frame was coming off and jammed the track. I had to fight with it for close to 15 minutes before I got it to close again... did not make the mistake to open it again.

As per other reviews we also experienced many many times when the power was supposed to be on and it was not. It was fine the first four days we were there but then it was really inconsistent after that. Once when eating dinner the power went out. It did make for an even more romantic meal but was a little annoying. They did not get it back on at all that evening. For me it was not so much that the power went on and off - what really was disappointing was that here was never any explanation offered nor was there any acknowledgement of the inconvenience. I really think our rates should have been reduced for a few of the days when we really did not have power at all - one day there was not even a full hour of electricity to charge the battery for our camera until later in the day.

I have to say that this entire area is really over-priced. It was worth it to me to spend the money to stay here as opposed to a more "rustic" cabana with shared bathrooms, etc. but they really over-charge in this area for the eco-resort concept. I suppose Tulum is becoming a bit more touristy and is not as remote anymore but it is too bad that a person has to pay so much more to come here to stay in an eco-resort. Yes, I chose to get away from the larger resorts, the crowds, the swim-up bars but it probably cost me more to do so.

I would definitely go back to the area again - the area is stupidly beautiful and magical - and I would even go back at the same time of year so that we can take advantage of low-season - but I think next time we will stay in Akumal where you can rent a condo with A/C for under $100/night, do more snorkeling and sleep much better!!! You have to go somewhere once to get a sense of what you would do differently next time (if you decide to return at all). This was that trip for us. We learned a lot, have a better sense of the area and talked to people who gave us tips for next time.

A few other pluses worth mentioning:

Painted murals scattered around property add a wonderful whimsical touch

Massage in the cabana on the beach by Carlos was the best massage of my life. Hands down.

Bike rental on-site for $5 a day was great - we biked up to the ruins. The bikes are a little rough but it is any easy ride and better than renting a car.

Maiko arranged a trip to the ruins at Coba for us. Driver really did not speak english which was too bad since I had so many questions and my "spanglish" was so bad he could not understand me. Well worth the money. I think it was $70 for the ruins and stopping at a cenote on the way back.

Snack shop a little ways up the road was great for keeping us stocked and hydrated. We bought a styrofoam cooler at San Francisco in the pueblo and bought ice and water (...and beer) to keep in our room so we always had cold beverages.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple