“My Kids Loved this Beach South of Tulum Ruins” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
La Posada del Sol
Ranked #64 of 91 Hotels in Tulum
Menlo Park, CA
“My Kids Loved this Beach South of Tulum Ruins”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2008

As a father of a 13 year old and 10 year old, I choose the hotel for its beach location, and a recommendation in "The Rough Guide to the Yucatan."

The Hotel (and jewelry store in the lobby) is located at 3.5KM Tulum Ruinas - Boca Paila Road. It is one of several pasadas located at this beach (Cabanas Punta Piedra, Cabanas la Conchita, Piedra Escondida, and Zamas.) The beach is outstanding. My kids loved it, and were in the water non-stop for 2.5 hours. Their only request is that we bring boogie boards next time. Fortunately they hooked up with 2 other kids, 10 and 12 that shared theirs. This other family stays at Cabanas la Conchita every year. The combination of tropical sun, and white sand make bright here so use plenty of sun block, and re-apply frequently.

Since we are a family of four there were few room choices here, so we ended up in Garden Room 1, which has a king and a single bed (and is located in the annex across the street from the beach.) The room, linens and towels were clean. Power runs through the night, but goes off in the AM. There were no electrical outlets in the room to recharge iPods, phones etc. Management offered us an electrical outlet in the restaurant, but warned us to stay with our item. There is an Internet cafe next door; I think they charged me $1.50 an hour.

We only ate breakfast here. There's a free continental breakfast. The American breakfast for four cost me $77!! We had dinner at Zamas the night before, and it was excellent; as was the live jazz band, and cost about the same.

The staff are European, and very nice, helpful and responsive. To that last point, I am hopeful that they have repaired the bathroom light switch, from which I received a mild electrical shock after my shower.

We will return because we all loved this beach. Next time I hope to book a room on the beach, or try one of the other posadas right next door.

I paid for the room in advance using PayPal.

• Liked — Beach location.
  • Disliked — mild electrical shock from the light switch in the bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank BobD2H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Seattlr
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2008

We stayed at Padada del Sol for a month and had a wonderful experience. If anything was needed we just had to ask. Friendly staff and always had hot water. We stayed in #2 for a week and moved to the ocean side but for the price you will not find anything better. Our beach in front was used for photo ops. and wind surfers. Many swimmers and kids playing. One can always find a beach to fit their wishes. Our room was clean and never had anything but clean linen and towels. If you want a 5 star Hilton don't come to Tulum. That is not what this part of the world is about. I can hardly wait to return to the Pasda del Sol. Also we are old , 73 and 80. We have traveled the past 20 years to other parts of Mexico but this was my absolute favorite. Know your limits and remember it is a beach life with solar and wind power in Tulum. Life isn't perfect so if a problem. occures,Adjust! Things happen. We checked out most of the other Beach places and felt very good about our decision.

Stayed January 2008
1 Thank mversteeg
venice, california
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2007

Let me start by saying if Posada Del Soulless was 50 bucks a night it would be ok. but it is 250 dollars a night! for what?

thin crappy sheets
cheap, not styrofoam-like pillows
no curtains on windows
breakfast NOT included
crappy towels
no soap
intermittant hot water
very noisy -- sound wind generator kept us up all night

meanwhile much better nicer hotels down the beach are half the price. this place is a total rip off. i wouldnt say it ruined out trip but it is never fun to be totally fleeced.

• Liked — zilch
  • Disliked — see above
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gimmesometruth
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2007

I stayed here for two nights in November, in one of the back, inland-side-of-the-street rooms. Like most places in Tulum, this is a casual operation--I would say its website looks a bit slicker than the place actually is, though the place is certainly not a dump by any means. I've visited a lot of the hotels in Tulum, and these rooms are still some of the best-priced on the beach, with nice details and _lots_ of space. I think my room had screens on the windows, which was good. One night I had electricity for the fan, and another I didn't, but it was actually a little chilly when I was there. Beds were very comfortable.

You do have to walk through the jewelry shop and past the owners' own private house to get to the beach. And post-Hurricane-Dean, the beach situation here is a little weird--a lot of the sand around the foundation of the hotel (and all the others in this section) got washed away. There's still plenty of beach--you just have to clamber down a little bit to reach it, which is awkward, and not particularly scenic.

I also have to say my water pressure was truly grim. Not the world's most thrilling showers, but then I've only had two memorably good showers in all of the Yucatan, so...

Stayed October 2007
5 Thank zlo
Chicago IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2007

I was supposed to stay at Posada del sol for two nights and booked over internet. Here are some of the problems there were with this property that I DID not anticipate nor was I warned of:

1. No privacy in the room. Drapes do not cover windows that look out onto the main road, nor are there any at all by the windows on the sides of the doors. Workmen kept walking by all day, as well as other people of course.
2. Dirty and stained bed linens and towels
3. NO ELECTRICITY at night!!! There is one fan in the room (situated over the floor, not over the bed even) and the power only lasted a few hours. There is some note on the door saying that they use solar power so not to use that fan during the day if you want to use it at night, but I didnt use it at all during the day and it still didnt work at night, nor did the lights. It was so hot (hotter in the room than outside) I had to go out and sleep in the backseat of my car. I talked to another guest on the other side of the street and for some reason he had power and I didnt.
4. No screen on window in bathroom to keep bugs out, and there was an exposed outlet with wires hanging out of it IN THE SHOWER

other problems you might want to consider that I did anticipate
1. loud and noisy because on the street
2. not on beach, and the beach it is across from is very small and crowded (shared by at least two other hotels, all of which actually give their guests beach towels).

I finally left at 6am and went to another hotel down the street, Ana y Jose, where I had eaten the night before (this is a great property and I will write a review later). When I got there and told the receptionist that I needed to change hotels and where I was staying he nodded his head knowingly and gave me a sad smile. I went back to check out at posada del sol 7:30 am and there was no one there at the check out, which is actually a cashiers counter in the gift shop (there is no real reception). I had to leave for a tour at 9am so I couldnt come back till the evening. I did however vacate the premises so that it was obvious I had left.

When I went back in the afternoon the receptionist told me, "I dont know why there was no power, maybe there was something wrong at the plant, and I dont know why no one was here at seven, usually I am but today someone else was supposed to be here, and I dont know why she wasnt, what do you want me to do, I will not give you your money back." So, there was no power, the room was dirty, etc., and when I went to check out no one was there to let me check out, so they would not reimburse me for the remaining night, saying it was because I made the reservation over the internet.

I dont really care about the money I lost, but I was insulted by the customer service in light of all of the problems I had with the room and the fact that I had left the premisis the morning before the day I was supposed to. I have stayed at five star hotels as well as hostels and B&Bs, and I dont mind roughing it. This was way beyond roughing it though, it was positively awful. Even if they had reimbursed me, it would not have been enough to keep me from trying to warn other travelers from staying away from Posada del sol. Please, if you want to actually enjoy your vacation, do not plan on staying here.

• Liked — price, but your $55 could be better spent elsewhere
  • Disliked — Everything else. please see review
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
2 Thank lala3237
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2007

POSADA DEL SOL is wonderful. I stayed there for 6 nights in the beginning of June. I stayed in room number 3 which is across the street from the beach and the rest of the hotel.The room is so beautiful-large tiled shower, high ceilings and lots of unique little features. The only thing that was bothersome was the loud traffic on the road in front. The woman, Diana, at the front desk was so nice and caring when I arrived late at night she had my room open so I could just climb into bed. And when I locked my keys in the car she helped get me a taxi and tell me where to go in town to get a locksmith to come and help. The little shop at the front desk is filed with wonderful jewelry, textiles and various other beautiful mexican things. The beach has plenty of lounge chairs and they give you large beach towels. It is a little rocky in the water but you learn the best places to go in. It is around a few other hotels which have great restraunts. Zahras is right across the street(they have good happy hour drinks!). I had a wonderful stay at Posada del Sol and will return!

• Liked — The rooms little unique features and the friendliness of the staff.
  • Disliked — the loud traffic in front on the road
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank CaliforniaSarah
Pavelle
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2007

This hotel is beautiful. We stayed in room #4 which is across the street and upstairs. The room was large, airy and creatively decorated with natural shells/textiles/ceramics/wood. As other travellers have remarked, the beach is small, but the proprieters were happy to allow myself and my daughters to go up the road to the sister property at Posada Lamar to enjoy the less rocky, larger beach front. I had no problem with the staff during my stay and found the front desk to be very kind to me and my daughters. The only drawbacks I found were a lack of hot water and the parking was incredibly slim fitting- so unless you have really amazing spatial capacity expect some challenge there! Trece Lunas has amazing food and is basically like having an onsite restaurant it is so close- the coffee is great, food is reasonably priced,fresh,healthy with friendly service.

• Liked — It lived up to exactly what it promised
  • Disliked — the lack of hot water
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family